O Come, Faithful Bridegroom

Hosea 2:14-23, Isaiah 54:4-8, Revelation 19:6-10

BY Guest Writer

He said when he saw it in that thrift store window, he just knew. That’s how my friend Molly got her wedding dress. When she was still a little girl, far too young to be planning a wedding, her daddy saw a wedding gown in a thrift store window and purchased it in anticipation of the day he would walk his daughter down the aisle. When that day finally came, there was nothing secondhand about Molly. She was a bride as stunning as they come, adorned in a gown that took our breath away.

Revelation 19 sends us an invitation to a different kind of wedding reception, the marriage supper of the Lamb:

Then I heard something like the voice of a vast multitude, like the sound of cascading waters, and like the rumbling of loud thunder, saying,

Hallelujah, because our Lord God, the Almighty,
reigns!
Let us be glad, rejoice, and give him glory,
because the marriage of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has prepared herself.
She was given fine linen to wear, bright and pure.

For the fine linen represents the righteous acts of the saints.

Then he said to me, “Write: Blessed are those invited to the marriage feast of the Lamb!” (vv.6–8).

Though nearly twenty years have passed, the memories of my own wedding day remain tender, as if they just happened yesterday. It was a beautiful start to a beautiful life. And yet, it was only a shadow of a higher truth, a more cosmic picture, an even more perfect union.

Marriage is the ultimate object lesson. The covenant language we exchange at the altar tells a story, not just of a human bride and groom, but of THE Bridegroom, the lover of our souls, who has betrothed Himself to us in covenant love.

Look again at the description of the marriage supper of the Lamb, and pay particular attention to the dress: “She was given fine linen to wear, bright and pure. For the fine linen represents the righteous acts of the saints” (v.8).

On the day when we, the Church, are finally united with Christ, our Faithful Bridegroom, we will be adorned more spectacularly than any bride has ever been, clothed in purity, and veiled in unfathomable grace. Our gown has been granted to us, bought and paid for by our Savior. We could never earn it, nor could we purchase it for ourselves. See how our wedding clothes are pure white, while Christ’s robe is “dipped in blood, and his name is called the Word of God” (v.13).

He came in swaddling clothes (Luke 2:12, ESV), so that He could purchase our wedding clothes; Jesus bought our wedding dress on the cross. But as He hung there, He just knew—the crucifixion was not the end of the story. He knew that someday, there would be a wedding, and His bride would be made ready by His sacrifice.

Erin Davis is an author, blogger, and speaker who loves to see women of all ages run to the deep well of God’s Word. When she’s not writing, you can find Erin chasing chickens and children on her small farm in the Midwest.

88 thoughts on "O Come, Faithful Bridegroom"

1. Kristine L. says:

As a faithful follower of Jesus in my 30s trusting God’s provision for a an earthy life partner these passages could not be more needed. The over glorification of marriage in our culture and even in the church can lead to feelings of isolation, loneliness and being left out. I am seen by God, known, loved, not forgotten and provided for. Scripture calls us to undivided devotion to the Lord as singles. I encourage my married sisters to rally for the singles in your church. Invite them into your lives and families. Remind them of the truth, grieve with them in the waiting, champion their wins in life, celebrate their service to Christ and the Church and encourage the in the Christian dating scene. Look for ways to introduce them to like-minded singles and be the family of God to them! Earthly marriage is not ultimate. We prepare ourselves for the return of Christ, serving Him with undivided devotion. I cannot wait for the marriage of the Lamb and the Bride. We take no earthly spouse with us! The earthly longing for marriage reminds me often of the longing of the final wedding (the return of Christ), all our longings fulfilled in Jesus. Oh what a glorious day it will be!

1. Melody Seip says:

Yes, amen!!

2. Cati Teague says:

YES! Thank you for these thoughts, Kristine

3. Lisa Dawn says:

So well said, Kristine! “The earthly longing for marriage reminds me often of the longing of the final wedding.” I needed that reminder this morning.

4. Tiffany Taylor says:

Amen! That’s good!!!

5. Kelly Hartley says:

Love this!

2. Marcia says:

I’m sitting here this morning reading all of this through for a second time while listening to “What A Beautiful Name” by Hillsong Worship, close to tears. I am so overwhelmed with His perfect plan for all who choose to place our faith in Him. His is the kingdom, His is the glory, and He is our Bridegroom. How incredibly humbling.

3. Katarina Santiago says:

Today just resonated so much with me. Being recently engaged and starting to plan the wedding I felt like God was reminding me how much more he loves me and adores me then anyone in the world. I love that he clothes us in purity. God is so good

4. Kimberly Vieyra says:

“Jesus’ testimony is the spirit of prophecy.” It all stems from Jesus. Every word, every encouragement, it all stems from the story of Jesus and all His life fulfilled to make me, us, white as snow. I often think about about what my wedding day will look like. Who will be in attendance? Was it what I could only imagine in dreams? Who knows, but this specific wedding day we are certain of. This wedding day will supersede any of our weddings, this will be the ultimate day! Holy holy holy is the Lord God Almighty!!!

5. Brooks LeeLaCombe says:

What an amazing God we serve he is never short on intimate details…

6. Sarah D. says:

So good! He takes me as I am, rags and all. It reminds me of the live action Disney Cinderella, where the prince has come to try the glass slipper on Cinderella’s foot. She asks, if it does fit, if he will take her as she is. She stands there not in a beautiful ball gown, but in her dirty rags, with ashes smudged on her face. She has no masks on. The fairy godmother narrates, that it is possibly the hardest thing for us to do, to be seen as we truly are. And the amazing thing is, he says yes. He takes her whole-heartedly, rags and all. It just reminds me of how Jesus sees me. Some days I feel so ugly, when my skin acts up or I feel shame or worry…but Jesus purifies me. He clothes me in His garments. He paid for them. He calls me loved. He says I am His. I have value, even when I feel less than. Even in my dirty rags, He says I came for YOU. And He takes me as I am. And yet, He loves me too much to let me stay that way. Thank you Lord. Make me more like Jesus. Restore, heal, and renew me. From the inside out. My value is found in you.

1. Ashley Thomas says:

Amen!

2. Ashley Thomas says:

Amen! I love that movie, and I love your comparison

3. Sarah Stubblefield says:

I love your comparison! I have always been a Cinderella fan but this really puts the idea in a whole new light for me! Thank you for sharing. Love this picture of perfect love and grace!

4. Elyse Murphy says:

I love that scene! It makes me cry every time, always bringing to mind the love and acceptance of Jesus

5. Kailey Posey says:

I needed to hear “He accepts me just as I am. Yet, He loves me too much to stay that way.” I will be sharing that with a friend who I think needs to hear this as well. Thank you for sharing.

6. Kaci McNutt says:

Amen!

7. Tiffany Taylor says:

Amen! He truly transforms us from “rags to riches”

Isaiah 64:6 “All of us have become like something unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags…”. ———>

Revelation 19:8 “She was given fine linen to wear, bright and pure. For the fine linen represents the righteous acts of the saints”.

Our righteous acts, which were once seen as unclean and useless are now the bright and pure adornment for the bride’s preparation and readiness for the Bridegroom. The epitome of redemption!!!!

7. ashley says:

My fiance and I have been engaged for 7 months and we are nearing the end with only about 2 months left! It sure is taking a while getting here! lol We both agree on that.

I love the picture of marriage as a demonstration for the gospel. I had never thought about the image of a wedding gown being purchased for me in all it’s purity and spotlessness, by my savior. I could certainly never purchase a garment great enough for myself to be made spotless and righteous in God’s eyes. I’m so thankful for Jesus’ sacrifice for me that I could have never provided for myself. No matter how hard I looked, how much I payed, how much I altered, bleached and cleaned I could never bring enough, seek out enough or create an adequate righteousness for myself. Thank you Jesus for making me white as snow! As we get ready for this wedding day, we can rest in the truth that there is an even greater wedding approaching with a more perfect and needed union. I want my wedding to be nothing short of a picture for this saving gospel and this coming day where we will be retrieved as His bride!

1. Laurie Crary says:

Amen. Beautifully written.
      Come Lord Jesus, Come.

2. Laurie Crary says:

Amen. Come Lord Jesus, Come.

8. Lisa Dawn says:

After my first term in cross-cultural missions, I’m back home in Canada for a few months to reconnect with family and friends. And I don’t know what it is about this season in particular but I could use some prayer as I am struggling a lot lately with loneliness and a deep sense of longing to have someone to share my life and my journey with. As a single woman in my 30s, I’ve long passed the season of all my friends getting married and working through the jealousy and struggle of that. PTL, He has given me a genuine ability to rejoice with my friends as they have found life partners and have started families of their own. But the older I get, the more I wonder if God will ever give me the same thing. And I feel so strong in my calling in ministry that I’ve accepted that there is a small pool to choose from of men who have the same heart, not just for the Lord but for the nations. I have had my ups and downs, seasons of discontent and seasons of great satisfaction in my beautiful Husband. But again…I’m at a low point, wondering if He cares enough to provide me with that special someone. And it’s been harder spending time with my family this Christmas season as my younger sister is married and I strangely end up feeling like the 5th wheel in our family. Please pray with me that my deep longings will be satisfied in the One who came to allure me, to speak tenderly to me and fill me in the deepest way, no longer as my Master but as my Husband.

1. Emily Windle says:

Hi, Lisa. So sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with loneliness. That is so hard! But you’re right to desire fulfillment in our True Bridegroom. While marriage is a great gift (that hopefully one day you and I will both be blessed with), it is just a shadow of the Gospel. We have the real thing with Christ! He is our Protecter, Pursuer, and Savior. I’ll be praying that you find your deepest desires fulfilled in Him. But I’ll also be praying that the Lord would fulfill you desire for a husband. Merry Christmas and I hope this season is a sweet time where you can grow closer to the Lord.

1. Lisa Dawn says:

Thank you so much, Emily. It’s a good reminder, as you said, that marriage is just a shadow. Praying I can continue to pursue the only One who truly satisfies while hoping for a husband. And praying the same for you, too!

2. Candi Salenieks says:

Hi girls, I too was single well into my 30’s. God used my time as a single person to change me in ways I never thought possible. In looking back I know what He accomplished in me would have been so much more difficult if I was married with a family. I married my husband when I was 34. I truly marvel at how God had us meet at just the right time in our lives. I feel He had us set apart for each other & He was waiting to bring us together once our hearts were right with Him. He has blessed us with 2 beautiful kids: one that I had at 36 & then we waited (not so very) patiently & we were blessed with another when I was 45. So, hang in there & trust Him. He has a plan & I have a strong hunch He’s accomplishing wonderful things in you all right now that uses your current circumstances to the fullest. I’m living proof that it’s never too late for Him to bring about the blessings of marriage & family. I know being patient is so so hard but surrendering to His plan & finding joy in Him alone will see you through.

1. Lisa Dawn says:

Thank you for sharing your story, Candi! Honestly, stories like yours are always so encouraging to me and I’m so happy for you in your marriage and motherhood! I think especially because I live in a culture where marriage is so highly valued and your personal worth is affected by whether you’re married or not, it makes it hard to remember the truth of what God says about me and that my ultimate worth and value come from Him. But I do still hope to find someone to walk with, even in my 30s or onward. Thanks for writing!

3. Melody Seip says:

Lifting you up girl. I’m currently doing work overseas and am feeling most of those same feels. You’re not alone.

1. Lisa Dawn says:

Thanks Melody. Lifting you up this morning, too, that God would meet you in those deep places of longing and desire.

4. Becky Kuiper says:

I’m praying for you too. One thing I’ve learned after almost a decade of infertility, is that waiting is so hard. Now that I am 43, I understand a little better that life is LONG, and there are many years to enjoy and they are not “wasted” just because my life plans aren’t in place. There is a verse where God says, “I will restore the years the locusts have eaten.” And I felt like all those years of waiting were locust-eaten years that He has now restored. Annie Downs (single Christian in ministry who is 38) talks in her book Remember God about waiting for a husband, and asking how she knows that God is who He says He is.. I think you’d like it. Also, my very good friend met and married her husband at 40, and they are loving life. Blessings to you this Christmas!!

1. Lisa Dawn says:

Oh Becky, what encouraging words! Thank you for your prayers and sharing a bit of your story, too. My sister and her husband have been struggling with infertility as well and it can be such a painful and difficult time. Praying for you, too, that you would take hold of the time the Lord has given you without children for the moment. May we both know that these years are not wasted and that He is using them to bring to a deeper place of reliance and dependence on Him. Thanks again for your comments.