The Third Sunday of Advent

Isaiah 42:1

BY She Reads Truth

O Morning Star,
splendour of light eternal and sun of righteousness:
Come and enlighten those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.

O King of the nations, and their desire,
the cornerstone making both one:
Come and save the human race,
which you fashioned from clay.

“This is my servant; I strengthen him,
this is my chosen one; I delight in him.
I have put my Spirit on him;
he will bring justice[a] to the nations”.

—Isaiah 42:1

50 thoughts on "The Third Sunday of Advent"

1. Erin Harvey says:

“Come enlighten those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death”

Christmas is such an amazing season and opportunity to share with those around us the true meaning of Christmas and the significance of Christ’s coming to earth. Amidst the busyness let us embrace these opportunities (in line at the grocery store or gift shopping lines or to those that we care for deeply) to “enlighten those who dwell in darkness” and share the hope we have that comes with the truth of our savior and just perhaps our words could help change the meaning of Christmas for those around us!

2. Andrea Delp says:

❤️

3. Brandy Ford says:

I’m grateful that God himself saw the beginning and the end and gave us everything needed to live a life of faith in righteous through grace! He gave ALL that we might be saved. Just the thought of that is overwhelming and brings the greatest joy and excitement. ❤️

4. Angie says:

Charles Wesley wrote the words to Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus, in 1744. Penned 274 years ago and still profound and true today.

The words in the first verse speak of his longing for Jesus to come. Jesus born to free us from our fears, sins, and to give us rest. Jesus, hope of all the earth, desire of every nation, joy of every longing heart. (The commas between these words do not correctly exemplify the magnitude of each part of the series.)

Wesley continues on in the second verse, Jesus born Deliverer, child/King, born to reign IN us forever. Jesus, King who raises us to his level, to his throne, into a kingdom of eternal grace, spirit-ruled lives. (Again, commas but the magnitude of each thought stands alone.)

Those words mirror our hearts today. Jesus is still the expected one. The wait feels long, and yet it is so much closer. Will it be tomorrow? Will it be today? Will it be on his birthday?

When we have traveled for vacations, it is the last leg of the journey that seems the longest, the anticipation the greatest. That is true as we wait expectantly for the completion of our journey whether when the long awaited Messiah, Jesus, returns for us or when we are brought to his glorious kingdom.

Come quickly Lord Jesus.

1. Catherine Bender says:

❤️

2. Sarah Stubblefield says:

This is beautifully said and one of my favorite songs. Thank you for sharing ♥️

3. Sarah Stubblefield says:

This is beautifully said and one of my favorite songs! Thank you for reminding me of this and sharing ♥️

5. Melody Kruse says:

Thankful for this community of strong, beautiful women. May we all keep finding light in the midst of darkness.

6. Sylvia Kim says:

There are always seasons of ups and downs, soaked and dry, closeness and far, but through it all Jesus reigns. Good reminder that Christ is truly the reason we are living and have hope.

7. Mari V says:

I SLEPT in!! I thought I had set my alarm to sleep 8 hours since I went to bed so late, since my sister is here visiting from Florida. I had plans to go on a quick run, shower make a quick breakfast for my kids and out the door. Instead I find myself here in a few quiet moments are not rushing out. I slept over 9 hours. My sister who knows I’ve been through a lot told me it was so good for me just to get some sleep. Blessings to your sisters

8. Steph C says:

He Who brings Light to all who sit in darkness. How much hope is found when a speck of light appears in darkness (Someone is coming!). How much joy (I have been found!). How much comfort (Someone cares for me!). Oh God, you came to me in my darkness. You illuminated it with your love and hope. You brought me out of darkness and into your glorious light! I rejoice in your light today.