O Come, Living Water

Exodus 17:1-7, John 4:1-26, John 7:37-39

BY Ellen Taylor

Water is the cure for everything these days. Need to lose weight? Drink more water! Want your skin to stop breaking out constantly? Drink more water! Having trouble getting out of bed when your alarm goes off? Drink more water!

They say that you’re supposed to take half of your body weight (in pounds) and drink at least that many ounces of water every single day. This year, I’ve been trying to hold myself to that standard, even though coffee tends to be my main form of hydration during the work day. I have a water bottle that I keep at my desk and take to meetings, and I’ll try my hardest to drink a whole bottle of water for every cup of coffee I drink.

I’d love to say that since putting an emphasis on drinking more water during the day, my life has completely changed—more energy, fewer breakouts, better sleep at night. While I haven’t necessarily noticed all of the benefits that people seem to claim, I have noticed how differently my body operates when I don’t drink enough water during the day. I get tired more easily, my head starts hurting in the afternoon, and my body craves water.

When I read about the Israelites in the desert complaining about their lack of water, I have a hard time blaming them. Moses, rightfully so, got a little nervous when the Israelites started grumbling against him. He cried out to God, begging Him for counsel on what to do. And God showed up, providing water for the Israelites in the wilderness.

In John 4, Jesus meets a Samaritan woman at the well wanting the same thing the Israelites did—water. When Jesus tells the woman that He has something better than water to offer her, her interest is piqued. Jesus offers the woman living water, and promises her that her spirit will never thirst again.

The work of Jesus on the cross means that we are given access to the same water that Christ offered the Samaritan woman at the well. Because of His sacrifice, we are no longer spiritually thirsty; Christ offers us water through the Spirit that will cause us to never thirst again. This water is freely given to us, as Jesus explains:

“If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. The one who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, will have streams of living water flow from deep within him” (John 7:37–38).

May we be a people who crave the living water that Christ offers us. May we be a people who receive it. May we be a people who share the living water, freely given, so that those who believe may never thirst again. Thanks be to God.

85 thoughts on "O Come, Living Water"

1. Jennifer McElhannon says:

I know exactly how the author of this devotional feels with water! You hear all the benefits and you drink it nonstop, hoping that you’ll feel them almost instantaneously, but sometimes you can’t even see or tell the difference. Yet as soon as you start to slack on drinking your water even just a little, that thirst comes and it’s all you can crave. Nothing else can satisfy you the way that water can.

The same is true of Christ. Nothing of this earth can satisfy the way He does. He came and died on the cross for us so that we may never have to thirst again. All of our needs are met through Him. Just as he told the woman at the well in John 4, “Everyone who drinks from this water will get thirsty again. But whoever drinks from the water that I will give him will never get thirsty again. In fact, the water I will give him will become a well of water springing up in him for eternal life.”

A well of water springing up in Him for ETERNAL LIFE. Our God is big and we are His.

2. Ty Varn says:

Lord thank you for the living water! My soul is thirsty for you.

3. Taylor Watkins says:

I think everyone can relate the Samaritan woman. We all fall short and feel as though we are not enough, but Jesus is for everyone! There is no profile we need to fit in order to ask him for living water. The love ❤️

4. Lucie L. says:

A blessing to many. Sorry for the typo ;)

5. Lucie L. says:

Carli it is with delight and enthusiasm that I finally understand this passage through your ability to share and express the meaning of thirst. Thank you!
    Much like many other believers I was always left with that lack of understanding why I my spirit was still thirsting all the time. Now I know that I’m normal :) and that I should be thirsting for God even more than I thirst for regular water often in one day. You are a blessing to may.

6. Brandi Carson says:

Does anyone else get tripped up by “thirst” and “crave”? I do when it comes to seeking living water. I think I understand “thirst” in the context of this “never thirst again”. But I also know that my relationship with God is not a drink-once-and-done thing. I’m not suddenly filled with something that I no longer “thirst” for. I should thirst for it, yes? Or perhaps, “crave” is a better word in that context? I only bring this up because I think we struggle with this as Christians. We want to ask once and never have to ask again for “water”. But yet as a Christ follower, I want to stay “thirsty” for living water. So how do we reconcile this in the context of verses such as these? How do we pray for or guide the seekers in our lives who also have the same questions?

1. Annelle Reinken says:

Hi Brandi, I have the same thoughts and questions about this passage! I’ve never really understood what this looks like in actuality. No answers from me, just solidarity.

1. Brandi Carson says:

Oy! The Bible can be very confusing, right? Especially as someone who tends to overthink things. I always wish there was more clear context or more detail within a story. But I also know there’s beauty in the discovery there. God is wonderfully mysterious, and I just need to be patient with Him in telling me the story.

2. Carly Davis says:

If I’m understanding correctly, you’re wondering at how it can say you’ll never thirst again when we should constantly thirst and crave after Jesus? I look at it like we will never suffer from thirst again because we have constant and immediate access to His Spirit. Most houses have at least three or four sinks, fresh water on tap mere steps away, and we still get thirsty, but our thirst can constantly be satisfied if we only turn on the tap. Likewise, our thirst can constantly be satisfied by Christ if we only turn to Him. It is a conscious decision to keep drinking (praying, reading, worshipping, resting in Him, etc.), even if He is right here.

I don’t know if that helps or is even what you were getting at, but those are my thoughts. ☺️

1. Brandi Carson says:

Yes that is such a great visual! Thanks Carly!! I think I get tripped up by this because in the struggles of our earthly lives, the idea of “you’ll never thirst again” feels like a promise that “you’ll not suffer”. But we know as Christians that that is not true. So I think I’m not fully understanding this choice of words that Jesus uses here. But I think what I’m beginning to understand is that there will be struggle, but there is always nourishing water to be found. We need only take the steps to access it. There is no reason to actually “feel thirsty” in any circumstance.

3. Zoe Gajownik says:

*Jennie Allen not Jenny alien hahaha

7. Dona says:

For some reason I am not sure that the reply button is working for me, but I wanted to thank S S and TRICIA CAVANAUGH for their words of encouragement. It may only be because this is my struggle but I think being unequally yoked is one of the hardest. It affects every aspect of our lives because we are joined with our husbands and made one flesh. I am sorry that you ladies are going through this too. Thank you for praying for me and I pray for you also. May God one day honor our prayers and save our husbands. I found this article this morning and thought you might find it helpful also. https://bible.org/seriespage/13-word-wives-1-peter-31-6#P1738_503389. May God bless you. In the love of Christ, Dona.