O Come, Light of the World

Genesis 1:1-5, John 1:1-5, John 1:9-10, John 8:12, John 12:35-36, Colossians 1:15-20

BY Amanda Bible Williams

In the furthest reaches of my memory, I can’t recall a first Christmas. Christmas, in my mind, has always been.

The image of stockings by the fireplace, the smell of a Frasier fir (fresh, never artificial), the mystery of an unnamed gift under the tree wrapped in Sunday comics and topped with a shiny, dollar store bow—these memories seem to exist outside of me. Unlike birthdays or first days of school, Christmas feels less like a date on calendars past and more like an already-set stage I wander onto each year. When the wind is coldest and the sky darkest, we’re invited to experience anew the warmth and light that’s existed all along.

“In the beginning was the Word,” the Gospel of John begins, “and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning… In him was life, and that life was the light of men” (John 1:1–2, 4).

Jesus, the living Word of God, has always been (Colossians 1:17). But He has not always been here, with us. There was a time when the earth and everyone on it ached for the promised Savior. He would be the fulfilment of every promise, the incarnation of Almighty God, the kingdom of heaven walking the earth. Every human heart longed for His arrival—His Advent—whether or not they knew it by name. Even now, every heart aches for His return, for the Son of God to appear and make all things new.

The season of Advent is a time to anticipate and prepare for the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ—God here with us. This year we’ll read a mix of Old and New Testament texts, each day highlighting how Jesus did not come to establish a new religion, but, as our friend Russ Ramsey writes, “to fulfill the deepest needs and richest promises of an ancient one.” Jesus is the Spotless Lamb, sacrificed in our place. He is the Bread of Life, satisfying our deepest hunger. He is the Great High Priest, reconciling us to the Father. He is the Light of the World, which darkness cannot overcome. And those who follow Him will never walk in darkness because Immanuel has come, and He promises to come again.

Join us as we spend each day this Advent in the pages of Scripture, anticipating and celebrating the arrival of our Savior. O come, O come, Immanuel!

278 thoughts on "O Come, Light of the World"

1. Layne Smith says:

It is so very true that without the light, you are in darkness. I think back to the times in my life where I have not sought out Jesus and was walking in darkness. I can almost feel the emptiness and anxiety in my soul. The burdens of everyday life feel so much lighter with Jesus, the true Light.

2. Maya Estrada says:

Jesus is my light❤️

3. Monica Sprague says:

I love that Jesus is the light and that through him, and the indwelling spirit, I too can be, or am, the light to those around me living in a dark world.

4. Maya Bulos says:

I loved this reading. The scriptures parched my weary heart and illuminated all the dark heavyness. I loved the quote that was shared that Russ Ramsey said- Jesus didnt come to create a new religion, but to fulfill the deepest needs and longings of an ancient one. (Im pretty sure I reworded it differently). Anyway love the description as Jesus as the Light And what an amazing privilege that the Light the was there before the foundation of the world, the Light that is the fullness and glory of God, is now in us. What an amazing privelege and thought. This encouraged me so much.

5. Lisa Morton says:

Even in the darkest thoughts, he comes to be and bring Light! Hallelujah Amen.

6. Janna Jackson says:

I love how scripture is one story even though the Old Testament was written thousands of years before the New Testament it was laying the foundation for Jesus. There is no doubt that Jesus is the light of the world. Where light is darkness is exposed including in our own hearts. May I never get to the point where I don’t want the Homy Spirit to expose sin in my life.

1. Shahana Trull says:

❤️

7. Mabel Philip says:

A reminder that walking in the light means darkness can not overcome me. He is more powerful, just as He overcame death and sin so we might have eternal life with Him, the ultimate giver of Life.

8. Emily Dotzert says:

Thank you Jesus for being the light of this world and the hope to which we must cling to everyday. I pray that I can share that hope in a world full of sin.♥️