O Come, Light of the World

Genesis 1:1-5, John 1:1-5, John 1:9-10, John 8:12, John 12:35-36, Colossians 1:15-20

BY Amanda Bible Williams

In the furthest reaches of my memory, I can’t recall a first Christmas. Christmas, in my mind, has always been.

The image of stockings by the fireplace, the smell of a Frasier fir (fresh, never artificial), the mystery of an unnamed gift under the tree wrapped in Sunday comics and topped with a shiny, dollar store bow—these memories seem to exist outside of me. Unlike birthdays or first days of school, Christmas feels less like a date on calendars past and more like an already-set stage I wander onto each year. When the wind is coldest and the sky darkest, we’re invited to experience anew the warmth and light that’s existed all along.

“In the beginning was the Word,” the Gospel of John begins, “and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning… In him was life, and that life was the light of men” (John 1:1–2, 4).

Jesus, the living Word of God, has always been (Colossians 1:17). But He has not always been here, with us. There was a time when the earth and everyone on it ached for the promised Savior. He would be the fulfilment of every promise, the incarnation of Almighty God, the kingdom of heaven walking the earth. Every human heart longed for His arrival—His Advent—whether or not they knew it by name. Even now, every heart aches for His return, for the Son of God to appear and make all things new.

The season of Advent is a time to anticipate and prepare for the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ—God here with us. This year we’ll read a mix of Old and New Testament texts, each day highlighting how Jesus did not come to establish a new religion, but, as our friend Russ Ramsey writes, “to fulfill the deepest needs and richest promises of an ancient one.” Jesus is the Spotless Lamb, sacrificed in our place. He is the Bread of Life, satisfying our deepest hunger. He is the Great High Priest, reconciling us to the Father. He is the Light of the World, which darkness cannot overcome. And those who follow Him will never walk in darkness because Immanuel has come, and He promises to come again.

Join us as we spend each day this Advent in the pages of Scripture, anticipating and celebrating the arrival of our Savior. O come, O come, Immanuel!

286 thoughts on "O Come, Light of the World"

1. Emilee O’Kelley says:

like the slow glow you receive from a hearth. ❤️

2. Jess Embree says:

Rereading through that passage in Genesis and something struck me that I had never seen before. The first thing God says is “Let there be light” and He found that the light was good. But then later in the same chapter, after the third day, he created lights (sun moon and stars) to separate the dark from the light. I can’t help but think that the first reference to “Let there be light” is acknowledging Jesus from the very beginning. Not creating Him as we know He was there with God in the beginning, but highlighting Him as “the light” that separated the darkness from the very beginning. Highlighting his authority as the “Light of the World.” Especially when He says “Let there BE light” and “there was light” but yet later on it says God “made” two great lights and the stars (aka created them) on the fourth day.

1. Fawn Helms says:

Love how you expressed this idea! Really resonated with me!

2. Fawn Helms says:

Love how you said this! Really resonated with me!

3. Laurie Martin says:

Amen!! Prepare me to see You.

4. Angie says:

Darkness vs. Light, my choice?

Walking into a doctor’s office with darkness edging in, uncertainty, trepidation, fear. I’m a child of God. I’m not overwhelmed, but then why am I so tired, so weary, shouldn’t I handle this better?

Waiting for the doctor I cannot help but notice how very BRIGHT it is in the room. Clarity comes with Light. I lay on the table and they raise it for a clearer view, even turning on an additional light for added vision, closer to what is being inspected.

The Source of all LIGHT in the world came to earth and darkness was dispelled. I look to that LIGHT and am comforted; dark uncertainty, trepidation and fear are replaced with the clarity of His LIGHT.

My “darkness” is not tied to my trust in the Light, it is tied to me. Am I seeing what you want Lord? Brighten my vision closer to what needs inspected and then my Lord and Savior, my LIGHT, please gives me eyes to see and courage to obey, no matter what.

1. Christine Dever says:

Wow! That is such a powerful thought; a powerful picture of the juxtaposition of the mundane and the divine! Thank you!

2. Stephanie Patch says:

Love this ❤️

5. Aiyana Berryhill says:

“Yet the world did not know him.” If we do not seek His face and dwell in His presence we can not know Him. He wants us to have a personal relationship with Him and bring us out of darkness. Sometimes we’re showered with blessings but we can’t let those blessings overshadow the light of Jesus. We have to keep our relationships strong no matter what because He’s the light and He’ll direct our paths.

6. Moriah Johnson says:

He is the peace you feel when residing in a season where peace simply doesn’t make sense. He is the whisper you hear when you’re in need of direction but don’t know where to step, let alone where to begin. He is a friend that will never leave and a lover that can never love less.
    He is my light.
    He takes away my guessing.
    He eliminates my confusion and fear and shows me exactly what is.

In darkness, the enemy gives you sight. Or he convinces you it’s sight.
    It’s less of seeing and more of a guessing game. Instead of being led, we’re left with our hands out, feeling everything around us before walking. We’re left tripping on things we can’t see and running into walls we didn’t know were there.

What a stark difference between the two! I can tell you one thing, I don’t know why I let darkness in but today I’m choosing not to give my eyes time to adjust when allow the darkness to settle. I’m choosing to turn the lights back on. I’m choosing to see ♥️

1. Hannah Bernal says:

Thank you for this! ❤️

1. Moriah Johnson says:

♥️

2. Catherine Bender says:

Beautifully said! ❤️

7. Diane Carter says:

Did you all know that this is also the beginning of Hanukkah? In John 10, it says Jesus was in Jerusalem for the “winter festival.” That was Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights, which celebrates a miracle of God’s provision and also looks forward to God’s provision of a Savior. I love to celebrate Hanukkah as I prepare for Christmas because it, too, reminds me that my Savior said, “I am the light of the world…”

8. Lesley says:

This is my first Advent study, and my first SRT study. Even after only the first two days, my soul is humming and my heart is swelling. I am so excited to learn and grow through this study. Thank you!