The First Sunday of Advent

Micah 7:7

BY She Reads Truth

The O Antiphons, seven prayers based on biblical prophecies about Jesus, have been part of Advent worship in the Church since the Middle Ages. Traditionally, one antiphon is sung or prayed each night of the week leading up to Christmas Day. Each prayer begins by addressing Jesus with one of the titles used for Him in Scripture. When read in reverse, the first letters of these Latin titles spell ero cras, which means “Tomorrow, I will come.”

In this reading plan, we’ll pray through one or more of these antiphons each Sunday during the Advent season as a reminder of the longing Israel felt as they waited for the Messiah and the yearning we still feel today as we await Christ’s return.

O Wisdom, coming forth from the mouth of the Most High,
reaching from one end to the other,
mightily and sweetly ordering all things:
Come and teach us the way of prudence.

O Lord, and leader of the House of Israel,
who appeared to Moses in the fire of the burning bush
and gave him the law on Sinai:
Come and redeem us with an outstretched arm.

But I will look to the LORD;
I will wait for the God of my salvation.
My God will hear me.
—Micah 7:7

329 thoughts on "The First Sunday of Advent"

1. Ashlei Shealey says:

I am so grateful for the SRT community this season in helping me listen to and better connect with the word of God. This is just what I need for advent. Thank you thank you thank you

2. Kaylee Rowe says:

I have just re-started my journey I want to be whole again with the Lord

3. Sydnie Smith says:

I’ve never had to use this before, but I have a major trial that I’m going through, and I really need prayer right now, from anyone. & it would be really appreciated. I can’t disclose any details but just knowing I had you ladies praying for me I would really be so comforted by it. & in all honesty, I’m a little scared. But our God is a big God and he calls us to not live in fear. Thank you ladies, much love.

1. Kate Morse says:

Praying for you to find comfort and peace in The Lord during this time! ❤️

4. Tiarne says:

Hi everyone! I am a new christian and this is my first christmas as a Christian which is exciting but also different for me – I have so many questions, like what exactly does Advent mean? Can anyone link me resources?? much love

5. Ashley BrookePorter says:

I am new here, but I have the strength to follow my God. I want to become a better woman of The Lord. I will wait patiently for his blessing and seek him in all I do!

6. Ashley BrookePorter says:

I am new to this. I want to become a better woman of The Lord. I will wait for

7. Dasha Ramey says:

Excited about advent, and all that I can give and learn about and for others.

8. Jennifer Parker says:

Lord God come! Bless us with your glorious presence. Fill us with your glorious Holy Spirit as we wait for you.