Benediction and Farewell

from the Hebrews reading plan

Hebrews 13:1-25, Joshua 1:5-9, Matthew 25:34-40

BY Rebecca Faires

Scripture Reading: Hebrews 13:1-25, Joshua 1:5-9, Matthew 25:34-40

After thirteen chapters of establishing our great hope and exhorting us to godly living, Hebrews closes with a succinct reminder that all hope comes from Christ who is the “same yesterday, today, and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). The root of all godly living is the person of Christ. He is both our hope and our source of righteousness.

At the close of the this book, the author recommends a handful of what Matthew Henry calls “excellent duties”: show love and hospitality, care for the mistreated, honor marriage, eschew the love of money, and be satisfied with what you have. This final exhortation to contentment certainly loosens the reins and makes the other excellent duties easier. If one is content, the love of money can’t tempt and the shine of someone prettier or younger doesn’t lure.

Have you ever known someone who is truly content? The author of Hebrews points us first and foremost to the example of Christ. But we are also encouraged to watch the fruit of other leaders and, if that fruit is good, imitate their faith.

The most contented person I know is Nell. You probably don’t know her; she’s not famous. I met her in college, but she wasn’t the first friend I made. She was quiet and I was so busy making sure everyone knew how much fun I was, I didn’t notice her.

But once I did notice her, I couldn’t stop. Nell doesn’t push, she doesn’t demand, even though she has stronger opinions than most. But she loves like a fountain, and she is content. These days she homeschools her six children in a small house by a river. She is teaching them the art of contentment by giving them what they need, but not what they demand. She shows them how to be content by being at peace herself. Instead of chasing the world, she has found that her rooms crowded with love hold the very best the world has to offer her.

Light your corner of the world, friends—wherever it may be. And if these excellent duties of love and contentment seem impossible, do not fear; they are impossible. This is why the book of Hebrews was written: to point us always back to our need for Christ. He is our helper, “who promises to never leave us or forsake us” (v.5).

Lift your eyes to the eternal glory of Christ, for He is our hope in things both large and small. Any excellence and contentment that flows out of our lives will come from Him. Because of His sanctifying blood, we are made new creatures—creatures capable of hospitality and contentment. Jesus is our hope. He is our strength. And He is the same, yesterday, today, and forever.

SRT-Hebrews-Instagram-Day26

Rebecca Faires loves the gospel story and needs it every morning when she wakes up to her five little people. Rebecca holds a bachelor’s degree in German from Hillsdale College, and most recently worked as the managing editor and writer at She Reads Truth. She now works from her log cabin in the hills of Tennessee, writing and illustrating books with her favorite mountain man. There she enjoys porch-sitting as it rains, reading the Oxford English Dictionary, and getting in way over her head. She is expecting her sixth baby and her first book in February of 2019.

39 thoughts on "Benediction and Farewell"

1. Emily Dick says:

Thank you.

2. Ineke Knot says:

Over the last few weeks I had several inclinations to read Hebrews. Yesterday I listened to a sermon which referred to Hebrews and I knew exactly what the pastor meant. Gods plan is at work in my life, and you, SRT, are a part of that plan. Thanks for your daily guidance, even though we’re separated by an Atlantic Ocean!

3. Jennifer Anapol says:

I love that God never changes!

4. Audrye Williams says:

Today is my favorite day of this study. Both authors tie this up so well and so succinctly. I desire to be more like Nell who sounds a lot like Jesus. I love contentment and pray the spirit will mould me to be peaceful like this.

1. Ev Howe says:

I agree with you Audrye.

5. amarose says:

Just when I start to get comfortable and settle in somewhere, it’s time to move on. If I’m being honest, I really hate change. I’m a person of predictability, structure and routine. Once I get comfortable somewhere, I don’t want to leave. This week is my last week at my first student teaching placement and I can’t believe it’s already over. My heart breaks to leave my fellow teachers, students and the district. This weekend I have been mourning the impending loss and questioning God as to why, everytime I have something good somewhere, that season has to end. And his response: this world is not my home so I can’t get too comfortable here. He promises that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever, but nothing else is a guarantee. I can rest in that promise, knowing that the constant change keeps my focus on Jesus, not on this world.

6. Steph C says:

“Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, ‘I will never fail you, I will never abandon you’. So we can say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?” (Heb. 13:5-6) I love the juxtaposition of phrases here. 1) Don’t love money. 2) Be satisfied [content] with what you have. 3) For [because!] God has said, “I will never fail you, I will never abandon you”. Honestly, what more is there to say? The God of the universe is my Father. He loves me. He says He will never fail me. He will never abandon me. This alone is why/how I can be content … satisfied in whatever “circumstance” I find myself in. God, my loving Father, ordains my “circumstances”. If I trust His love and His wisdom I can trust His plan, I can rest in Him.

7. Claire McMillan says:

Asking for prayer today! No one prepares themselves for heart break and the confusion that comes with it. I have been having so many feelings of hope that this will work out and that separate time was just needed right now- praying and praying constantly for clarity. Hoping that this hope I have is not made up in my head but coming for the Holy Spirit!

1. Jessica Gonzalez says:

Praying for you, as I am going through a heart break as well. May we get through this difficult season. God is with us!

2. Kelly Chataine says:

Just prayed for you, Claire!

3. Sena Able says:

I am also feeling the same way so I completely understand. Praying God gives you and I peace that surpasses understanding. So much that in the midst of questions and fear we all whole and strong. Praying also for discernment

4. Claire McMillan says:

This is so cool- so thankful for all of this and praying for each one of you as well.