New Covenant Ministry

from the Hebrews reading plan

Hebrews 9:1-15, Leviticus 16:6-19, 2 Corinthians 1:10

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Hebrews 9:1-15, Leviticus 16:6-19, 2 Corinthians 1:10

Maybe it’s this season of life I’m in where everything seems ridden with uncertainty and doubt, but sometimes it’s hard for me to remember that God is near to me. It’s hard for me to remember that I have access to Him through the Holy Spirit at all times. It’s hard for me to remember that even when I don’t have the words to speak, He still listens.

Under the old covenant described in the first part of Hebrews 9, God’s people were unable to communicate with Him directly. While the priests could enter into the first room of the tabernacle to perform their ministry of sacrifices, God’s presence was contained inside the holy of holies of the tabernacle, a place only the high priest could enter but once a year, and only then to provide a sacrifice for himself and God’s people to cover the sins they had committed.

The author of Hebrews consistently uses Old Testament references and stories to tell his readers about the better hope they have in Christ. In referencing the old covenant, which they were undoubtedly familiar with, the author is reminding them of the freedom they now have in Christ—freedom to acknowledge God’s nearness and drink in His presence. Christ took the place of the high priest, entering into the most holy place, sacrificing Himself, and cleansing us with His blood (Hebrews 9:11–14).

“[Christ] is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called might receive the promise of the eternal inheritance, because a death has taken place for redemption from the transgressions committed under the first covenant” (v.15).

Christ is the Great High Priest, and because of His sacrifice on the cross, God is ever-present with us. We don’t have to rely on a human high priest to go before God on our behalf; Christ does that for us. He looks at us and says that we are His children, His people—that nothing can separate us from His love (Romans 8:38).

It’s not always easy to remember that we have instant access to our Father. In situations where we don’t know what to say or pray or do, we feel alone. We forget He is already near to us—nearer than our very breath. But reminders of this new covenant ministry, a ministry we are now an active part of, keep us grounded in the knowledge that God is with us and for us. Always.

SRT-Hebrews-Instagram-Day16

Ellen Taylor was born and raised in sweet home Alabama, but has called Nashville home since 2013. When she’s not working as the editorial assistant at She Reads Truth, you can find her enjoying good food and good conversation with her friends and family. She is a lover of cozy sweaters, ugly dogs, and the Oxford comma.

47 thoughts on "New Covenant Ministry"

1. Dominique Turnquest says:

Truly a great reminder. When we dont feel you near, we can trust that you have delivered, doth deliver and will yet deliver. Such a marvelous promise of eternal inheritance.
    Jesus is the treasure and pearl of great price. Forsake all and come to him

2. Jessica Martens says:

The comparison between “once a year” (v.7) and “once for all” (v.12) jumped out at me today. How cool is that!!! Once for all, Jesus entered into the holy place to take on the sin of the world so that we could be with him, not once a year, but forever.

3. Jennifer Anapol says:

Thank you for your constant presence Jesus!

4. Sarah Hodges says:

I couldn’t agree more!

5. Shawna Johnsen says:

My marriage is under attack and I have tears more than anything, words are definitely hard right now. Sometimes I feel alone. It is good to be reminded that He is with me.

1. Bunny says:

Praying for you both Shawna.

2. KA says:

I just prayed for God to show His presence, to move and help cover/save your marriage. Hugs

6. Lottie Staggs says:

Amen. Always thankful for the reminder that we are his and we can be with him in every moment of every day.

7. Lana says:

This is so needed for me today. My granddaughter is in the NICU at U of M and I am just so numb inside and unable to pray meaningfully. I lost my dad earlier this year and today almost lost my granddaughter. I feel like I’m in the wilderness trying to get out.

1. Cassie Kendall says:

Praying for her and your whole family right now, that has to be so scary. I’m glad you read this and found comfort today.

2. Churchmouse says:

Praying for healing for your granddaughter and strength for all of you who love her so much

3. Deborah Craytor says:

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You that when Your Son graced this earth with His presence, He welcomed the children and blessed them. Thank You that the same power that raised Him from the dead is at work in and for Lana’s granddaughter now. Lord, we give You this precious baby girl. We invite You to come by the power of the Holy Spirit and pulse through her body, to bring Your healing and strengthen her being. We ask You in the name of Jesus to restore her to full health and wellness. Thank You that You hear our prayers and the wordless groanings of the Spirit indwelling in Lana and that, no matter what happens, Lana and her family can all rest in the assurance that You cherish their little girl and hold her safely in the palm of Your hand, now and always. Amen.

4. Summer Sellers says:

You know what, God can do amazing miracles!! Three months ago my niece and nephew were born at 25 weeks. We were all so scared. We were praying so hard every day. Then they had brain scans and we were told they would have major lifelong disabilities. After three months of prayers and many ups and downs, my nephew Ryder had an MRI and it came back normal! They are expecting just some physical therapy from being a premie but other than that, he will be fine and he went home Friday! His sister Sayler is growing and getting better every day. We hope she will be home before Christmas. But God can work miracles where only miracles are possible! I am praying for your family and your sweet granddaughter. God, work in her life and heal her body. Work miraculously in only a way you can so her life will show you. Amen.