Inheriting the Promise

from the Hebrews reading plan

Hebrews 6:13-20, Hebrews 7:1-10, Genesis 22:15-18, Romans 8:28-30

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Scripture Reading: Hebrews 6:13-20, Hebrews 7:1-10, Genesis 22:15-18, Romans 8:28-30

I discovered my first gray hair this week. Being in my mid-twenties, I’ve always believed this event would unfold naturally and gracefully decades from now, like a badge of honor for a seasoned and experienced woman. It did not happen that way. However, as I sifted through my dark brown strands to find the one that wasn’t, I couldn’t help but think of my grandmother. I’ve never gotten through a conversation with someone who knew Polly without mention of her rare poise, cheeks full of laughter, and of course, her beautiful silver hair.

There are some things I inherited right away from my grandmother, like the pearl earrings she’d received on a special anniversary and the cooking tools that still smelled like her house. I inherited her love for music, the same knack for penmanship, and a preference for extra-sour lemonade. And then there are things I didn’t know I’d get from Polly, even after she was gone—things like her fountain pen, which my aunt gave me because I became a writer, and the aforementioned early appearance of gray hairs.

There’s something about an inheritance that roots you in a sense of belonging. Or in some cases, you find out there’s been a place for you all along. In Hebrews 6, we find that our inheritance is both current and eternal. It is everything we need, exactly what we’d hoped, and all we never thought to ask for.

I love how thorough God is in His promises. It’s as if He takes joy in watching His children read His Word and learn His Will, savoring each gift along the way. Two big themes in the book of Hebrews are revelation and redemption, and God’s covenant with His people is what bridges the two.

“Because God wanted to show his unchangeable purpose even more clearly to the heirs of the promise, he guaranteed it with an oath, so that through two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to seize the hope set before us” (Hebrews 6:17–18). Notice the two unchangeable things here: God’s promise and God’s oath. He wants to make doubly sure we know that our inheritance in Him is true.

Maybe we don’t realize our inheritance through the way we age or through hand-me-downs in the cupboard, but just like He did for Abraham, God makes sure we know we’ve obtained the promise. He is the only One who can give us the sweetest inheritance of all: Himself. “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure” (Hebrews 6:19). May we continue to hold fast to Him, our hope and our prize. Amen.

SRT-Hebrews-Instagram-Day10

Kaitlin Wernet is a twenty-something who lives to tell stories with a backbone of hope. Armed with too many exclamation points and not enough goat cheese, she spends her days as a writer and editor in Nashville, TN. With a journalism degree and football-induced stress from the University of South Carolina, Kaitlin is happiest with plane tickets in hand or a kitten in her lap. Thankful to be a “She” who Reads Truth, she can also be found writing more of her favorite words at KaitlinWernet.com.

29 thoughts on "Inheriting the Promise"

1. Jennifer Anapol says:

Help me to hold fast to your promise God and find peace within it. Trusting that you will fulfill your purposes in my life.

2. Jo Moody says:

So amazing that God is a Covenant keeping God even when we blow it!

3. Dorothy says:

I need to remember that my inheritance in Him is true and that He promised and gave His oath on it.

4. Steph C says:

“So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls”. (6:18-19 NLT) God’s promises give us hope and confidence – they are an anchor in turbulent times. Also, “we who have fled to him for refuge”! He is an anchor but He is also a refuge. I am safe in Him because of His promise.

5. Jenniferh says:

We are commanded/encouraged to hold fast to our hope and calling. Jesus was our forerunner in this. Abraham also obeyed and was BLESSED for his obedience. We all are blessed because of his obedience. We are promised that God is working all things for the Good of his children with the purpose of conforming us to the image of his Son and future glorification in Heaven. So hold on. Trust God with the areas you doubt his goodness, where you’re tempted to do things your own way. So much is at stake. Jesus was our example, our forerunner and now intercedes for you as your Great High Priest. Hold on to the God who’s purpose is unchanging and who does not lie.❤

6. Mari V says:

I am HIS. And HE mine. And like Churchmouse said this morning, God is not going to change His mind.

7. LT says:

This is somewhat off-topic, but when I’ve studied this section of Hebrews before, I’ve always had an issue with Hebrews 6:15 – “And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.” But he slept with Hagar and had Ishmael, so was that really waiting patiently for Isaac, who was the one God had promised? Maybe I’m just over analyzing things, but I don’t quite understand how that’s considered waiting patiently…

1. Lizzieb85 says:

I have the same reaction! But he did wait patiently, for a time. And it was actually Sarah who got impatient & convinced him to sleep with Hagar.
      But that’s all I got haha! I’d like to see what others have to say.

2. Kate says:

While I have struggled with this idea too, I think it is also encouraging to note that despite their efforts to make things happen on their own, they are still viewed as having faith. We all are called to things and asked to have faith. I am guilty of attempting to rely on myself rather than waiting for God’s promises to be fulfilled in His timing. I am comforted by the fact that despite my lack of trust, God’s grace covers me and still can uphold me as being faithful.

1. Jennifer Nease says:

I think you hit the nail on the head, Kate. God sees is through the lens of grace and uses is inspite of our imperfections. Somewhere in there we manage to think we or other earn it. It’s all his work and he is so kind to us in using our mustard seed sized faith and imperfect obedience.

2. LT says:

Thanks, Kate! I hadn’t really thought about it this way before.

3. Stephanie Joyce says:

And that even though they tried to do it on their own, they were not able. God alone opens and closes the womb, and God alone, in His sovereignity, works out His plans perfectly. It’s always to bring Himself glory.

3. Alexis says:

I kinda love that the story of Hagar and Ishmael is in there.
      I think it helps me, because it shows that even with a promise from God, doubt will happen while you wait. (Not that it’s okay to have doubt, but lets be real, it happens) And although it was doubt that led to Hagar and Ismael, God didn’t take the promise away. In fact, he sent angels to let him know that the promise was still coming. Even after Hagar and Ismael. Even after Sarah laughed. It still came.

1. Courtney Witherspoon says:

Amen to this. Gods grace is sufficient. God knows we will mess up and doubt him but he showd his faithfulness through this story

4. LeAnn says:

My struggle with being patient and waiting on God is knowing what I should do and when I should be still. Sometimes I push and do, what turns out to not be the right thing, but God continues to work the plan.

5. Jo Ann Klandrud says:

Abraham couldn’t force God to speed up his promise through Ishmael…so he did have to wait, even if he did so imperfectly. Issac was the fulfillment of the promise and Abraham waited a long time for him.

8. Churchmouse says:

In the past I read the Bible to get information about God, as if the Bible was a textbook of sorts. Then I had a ‘lightbulb’ (Holy Spirit) moment when I realized God cannot lie. Every promise seemed to glow from the pages. I began to read the Bible with that perspective, that absolute fact. God cannot lie. His Word stands firm. He delivers on every promise. How very different, how confident, to read the Bible knowing every promise is true. How wonderful to know that no matter what, God is not going to change His mind and rescind any, not a single one. Wow. I no longer read searchingly – I read expectantly.

1. Dana says:

So wonderful!

2. Kristen says:

Thank you! What a revelation!

1. Kristen says:

Also, I thought of this beautiful song. https://youtu.be/3FrEmqyM4-k

3. Kay Coughlin says:

Thank you, Churchmouse! This is a perspective I needed to hear! Bless you

4. Tiffany Greenway says:

Wow, what an encouragement. Thank you!

5. Stephanie McGraw says:

I’m sharing this with a friend, thank you!

6. Audrey Post says:

Love this!!

7. Angela Johnston says:

Yes! Amen!

8. Mari V says:

God is not going to change His mind. Thank you Churchmouse.

9. PamC says:

Dancing in joy. Thank you Churchmouse ❤️

10. Holly Lefever says:

Love this! What a great perspective.

11. Stephanie Joyce says: