Messiah

from the Names of God reading plan

BY She Reads Truth

In this Names of God reading plan, we are learning more about God by studying the names given to Him in Scripture. Rather than having our writers share their own reflections on these passages, we’ve instead provided research-rich content to aid in your study of each day’s featured name of God, including the background of the name(s), a brief explanation of the character of God emphasized by the name(s), and a reflection question to help you dig deeper into the text.

Messiah

Mashiach (Hebrew), Christos (Greek)

Scripture Reading: Psalm 2:1-3, Isaiah 61:1-11, Matthew 16:13-20, Luke 24:18-27, John 10:24-25, John 11:25-27

Description

The Hebrew word mashiach, or “messiah,” was used to refer to the promised savior of God’s people. The word mashiach was translated into the Greek as christos, which is translated into English as “Christ.” “Messiah” and “Christ” are two titles that describe Jesus as the anointed, or chosen, one of Israel.

The word mashiach was used to describe someone who was anointed for a particular calling. In Scripture, people called to serve as prophets, priests, and kings were anointed with oil to ceremonially set them apart for their particular work. Jesus perfectly fulfilled all three of these roles for His people through His life, death, and resurrection. He is the chosen and anointed one who perfectly fulfilled His calling as the savior of God’s people.

Emphasis

God’s chosen and anointed one

Reflection

What does this name teach me about God?

SRT-NamesOfGod-instagram18

24 thoughts on "Messiah"

1. Taylor says:

The Lord is the Messiah, the chosen, appointed, & qualified One to rescue humanity & to unite the bride to her heavenly Groom! Jesus the Messiah is the promised King who defeats evil & restores the garden. I am promised victory through the Messiah.

2. Parker Medley says:

Jesus I know you are the Messiah, my savior! How big it is we have a Lord who loves us so much, he sent down his son to die for us.

3. Danize says:

I accept my faith.I accept my future. I accept all the knowledge that comes with it.

4. Angela says:

He is God’s chosen Prophet. Do I allow Him to speak into my life or I choose to speak over my life myself or allow other people to do so?
    He is God’s chosen Priest. He offered Himself as my atonement. Do I offer something else, even myself, I think is better than Him?
    He is God’s chosen King. Does He rule, or do I rule?

1. Mary Sprague says:

So well put in question form. Thanks for sharing.

5. Amanda says:

As I read this tonight, I think back on Day 1 of this study when we learned that Yahweh is God’s covenantal name promising that He will never change. And here He is, fulfilling yet another promise to His people through the Messiah that he would deliver a chosen and anointed One to save them. How cool is that? I love that as I learn more about God through His names, I find that those very names speak volumes about His character. I am overwhelmed that I get to be in relationship with our incredible God!

1. Dot Hardin says:

I also have learned so much about His character as we’ve studied His names. How amazing that my Savior reminds me of His love and greatness through every breath I take (YHWH).

6. Kristin Porter says:

Any time I replace God with anything in my life it only breeds emptiness. I am constantly reminded to keep my focus on him, there are many distractions and there are many things in the world you could put your faith in besides God…but he is the only true source of life.

7. Dorothy says:

Christ is the One who died so that I may have eternal and everlasting life. I believe the Messiah died for my sins.

8. Chloe Park says:

God turns my ashes into beauty and puts a new song in my heart. Even though life can seem bleak, I always have many reasons to praise God because God has given me salvation and eternal life. God is bigger and stronger than my circumstances and I refuse to stop worshipping God as my Messiah, Savior, King, and Friend.