God With Us

from the Names of God reading plan

BY She Reads Truth

In this Names of God reading plan, we are learning more about God by studying the names given to Him in Scripture. Rather than having our writers share their own reflections on these passages, we’ve instead provided research-rich content to aid in your study of each day’s featured name of God, including the background of the name(s), a brief explanation of the character of God emphasized by the name(s), and a reflection question to help you dig deeper into the text.

God With Us

Immanuel (Hebrew), Immanuel (Greek)

Scripture Reading: Isaiah 7:13-17, Matthew 1:18-25, Matthew 28:19-20, John 1:10-18, Revelation 21:3

Description

The name Immanuel, or “God is with us,” appears in the book of Isaiah in key prophecies predicting the coming of the Messiah. The name carries a sense of nearness, including intimate knowledge of the needs, struggles, and hopes of humanity. When Isaiah prophesies about the virgin birth, he says that her child will be called Immanuel. This is not a proper name as much as it is a description of what the Messiah would be like.

In Matthew, an angel tells Joseph to name the child Jesus, because “He will save His people from their sins” (Mt 1:23). This name describes what Immanuel would do. Together, the names Immanuel and Jesus mean “God will be with His people and He will save them from their sins.” God saves His people and is close to them.

Emphasis

God’s nearness to and presence with His people

Reflection

What does this name teach me about God?

SRT-NamesOfGod-instagram4

72 thoughts on "God With Us"

1. Rene' Bancroft says:

From before time, God was always planning on being with us. Jesus was always planning to come and save us. Who am I to ever think that God is far from me, when the core of His nature is to know all about me in an intimate only He can. Being a born-again follower of Christ means I have the Holy Spirit in me…God is NEVER far from me!

2. Mathilda Shephard says:

Immanuel. God with us. This is His ultimate promise to humanity. A promise embedded in each page of His Word, one which manifests itself as the Holy Spirit & became flesh & dwelt among us as Jesus Christ. What a profound & reckless expression of love – that a King would step down from His throne, into the dirt of the earth to dwell with His Beloved. He is closer than the air that we breath & the blood flowing through our lungs. His wrap-around Presence is not just an add-on or an extra benefit of aligning ourselves with Him but it is literally the essence of His Name. Immanuel – what a gift ✨✨✨

3. Stacey Ivicic says:

Thank you God for loving me/us so much that Jesus came into the world to be with us and save us. Help me to always remember that through Jesus, that you understand how I feel and what I’m struggling with. Thank you for calling me your child.

4. Kathie Ladner says:

“for God so loved” is mind blowing. To think that a holy, righteous, just God desires to be close to us, wants us to want Him and then makes a way for us to become His and to know Him fully is overwhelming. There are times I weep at this outpouring of His love. How could He love me so much that He would leave His throne, live among and be rejected by His creation then crucified? If sacrificing my son MADE people go to heaven I may consider it. But I could NEVER sacrifice my son to give someone the choice of choosing Him and eternal life. How much love, what a deep desire to be with us and to have us to spend eternity with Him as His own!! God help me to love like you. Help me to never take for granted what You have done, and help me to continually and urgently point everyone to the Savior.

1. Sherrie Bender says:

AMEN. Your comment gave me a perspective I had never considered before now. Thank you.

5. Christina U says:

We can’t run away when we feel unworthy, nor can we escape His presence when we feel just not good enough. Thank you, Lord, for your love and grace and constant pursuit of Your children.

6. Sonja Vick says: