Jesus Lived, Died, and Rose from the Grave

from the This Is the Gospel reading plan

John 3:16-17, Matthew 15:29-31, Luke 18:31-33, John 19:28-30, Romans 5:6-11, Philippians 2:5-11

BY Rebecca Faires

Scripture Reading: John 3:16-17, Matthew 15:29-31, Luke 18:31-33; John 19:28-30; Romans 5:6-11; Philippians 2:5-11

This is the big show. This is the central truth of our faith. We can quibble over infant baptism and transubstantiation and ordination, but on these points all Christians must come together and agree. God came to earth in the form of a man, and this God-Man lived, died, and rose from the grave. They called Him Jesus. While we were helpless and lost in our sin, Jesus died to save us completely (Romans 5:6).

It is the truest and most real fairy story ever known. The Church is the princess trapped by the pretending ruler of this world: a dragon who seeks to hoard all he can. The hero slays the dragon once and for all though a mighty and earth-shaking sacrifice. The dragon vanquished, the hero rescues the princess and brings her to his beautiful home. And they literally live happily ever after.

Notice who’s who in this story. We are the Church and the princess: the bride of Christ. What does the princess have to do to make the story come off properly? The answer is… nothing.

We’d like to think we get to play a champion’s role in the story, but no matter how politically incorrect it may be, we, the bride, are helpless. The princess does not slay the dragon. She awaits the coming of her prince, the hero who will save her.

As unflattering as it is, we are helpless apart from Christ. If that weren’t enough to make us uncomfortable, Paul reminds us we were also ungodly enemies of God, undeserving of rescue (Romans 5:10). The Church is the the beggar bride, who has gotten overly comfortable living with the dragon. It is Christ who makes us holy, Christ who makes us lovely, Christ who washes us clean and removes the dragonish stench from our garments, preparing us for His kingdom.

By His life, He emptied Himself of glory, walking in perfect righteousness and enduring every earthly sorrow. By His death, He fully satisfied God’s just wrath against us, washing away our every sin.

By His resurrection, He defeated death and hell and secured newness of life for those who believe.

By His ascension, He advocates for us before the throne of grace, guaranteeing our eternal inheritance.

The great story of the gospel is the story of Christ. His life and death, His resurrection and ascension—this is the gospel. He is the gospel. Thanks be to God.

SRT-TITG-18-instagram8

Rebecca Faires loves the gospel story and needs it every morning when she wakes up to her five little people. Rebecca holds a bachelor’s degree in German from Hillsdale College, and most recently worked as managing editor at She Reads Truth. She now works from her log cabin in the hills of Tennessee, writing and illustrating books with her favorite mountain man. There she enjoys porch-sitting as it rains, reading the Oxford English Dictionary, and getting in way over her head. She is expecting her sixth baby and her first book in February of 2019.

70 thoughts on "Jesus Lived, Died, and Rose from the Grave"

1. Lo says:

Although I agree with majority of what this is saying, when it says that the bride does nothing…I fail to understand. Don’t we live everyday doing our absolute best following God’s commandments?

1. Lindy Allen says:

Check out Philippians 3. Obeying Christ is to know Him more, but cannot earn us any part of salvation because we can’t obey well enough on our own to restore perfect communion with God the Father. That’s what “nothing” means in the devotional.

1. Lo says:

Thank you, it’s making more sense.

2. Bradyn Schellenberg says:

Thank you, Jesus. Thank you that you not only lived and died for us, you ascended and still intercede for us. Amen

3. Amanda Hartsfield says:

My pastor likes to say, “The only thing we contribute to our salvation is the sin that makes it necessary.” I am thankful for this.

4. Lindsey Hegdahl says:

This scripture and message really spoke to me this morning. How easily we skip into sin and how comfortable we can get there. But yet Jesus still saves us, still loves us, draws us out. Right now I’m going through some pretty deep healing in my marriage and myself after we lost a baby at 20 weeks gestation. Need these reminders every day

1. She Reads Truth says:

We’re so sorry to hear that Lindsey. We’ll be praying for you and your husband during this time. We’re grateful for you! -Margot, The SRT Team

2. India says:

I’m so sorry Lindsey! There is an excruciating pain in losing a life and the dreams you had for that life… Two years ago, my husband and I lost our baby at 23 weeks. God is still healing my heart, but He has held me through every emotion… every low, every doubt, even every resentment… and I know he will carry you too. My heart is with you! And I will be lifting you and your marriage up in prayer!

5. Simone Bryant says:

Wow, they way you put it made me grasp things a little better. I feel like the world we live in is becoming so accepting of sin, that we forget how broken we are. But at the same time, humans can set their own standards of what should be, and we don’t even meet those! God accepts us in our filthy-ness. He sees us a righteous!

6. Blaire Aisling says:

I am so grateful for this app and you ladies and being able to read the word of God. I currently live in Georgia and God is asking me to step out in faith and move across the country to Montana to get involved in Fresh Life Church. I am asking for prayers because it’s crazy BUT if I’m going to say I believe in the God who does impossible things then I better live it out. I don’t have money or housing or a job lined up. I just have confirmation and peace and a desire to go that I believe is from the Lord. So grateful for all of you!!

1. Natasha Reyes says:

I’m praying for you Blaire! May live out this new adventure with courage and joy.

2. Maura says:

Sounds like you have everything necessary Blaire. Confirmation of His desire for you to go. Will be praying that as you trust Him you see the mighty ways He provides for your every need. Keep listening to His voice, for our Jesus will bless you much as you step out in Faith.

3. Dorothy says:

I will be praying for you Blaire. Moving is a big adventure especially without employment. I’m glad you are going with God and following His lead. I have faith He will provide. He provided for my now ex-husband (at the time we were married), my two sons and myself when we moved from Kansas City to Kentucky and He hadn’t called neither myself or my ex-husband. I know things will work out great with Him calling you.

4. Ashley M says:

Praying for you!

5. Blaire Aisling says:

Thank you everyone! ❤️

6. Marissa Stockton says:

Come to Montana. It’s amazing out here!

7. Jo Moody says:

I remember years ago laying on my bed crying and asking myself “so, when is my knight in shining armor going to come rescue me from this hurt that consumes me?” And…it hit me as soon as the words came out of mouth, that my Knight was Jesus and His armor was the nails in His hands and feet. He had already come and rescued me, but I was choosing to focus more on the “dragon’s” words of doubt causing me to completely forget that my Hero had suffered, died and rose for me. Satan is so sneaky and his ways are so subtle. I am so thankful that everyday, My King of Glory reminds me that He has a place for me and He is coming back for me. My True Love is worth waiting for. MARANTHA!!

8. Mari V says:

Got a LATE start on my SRT devotions! It’s Labor Day and kept hitting the snooze button! Woke up to find two extra boys in the house. Guess my sons friends decided to crash here. I am so thankful that these boys and my son all love Jesus! I am thankful that even though this past year has been very hard for my two kids and I they continue to serve their Lord Jesus.

1. Dorothy says:

That is great I pray that it continues.