Humanity Rebelled Against God

from the This Is the Gospel reading plan

Genesis 3:1-19, Deuteronomy 28:15-19, Isaiah 1:4-5, Romans 5:12-14

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Genesis 3:1-19, Deuteronomy 28:15-19, Isaiah 1:4-5, Romans 5:12-14

From the time my pigtails bounced and my skirt twirled, I’ve always been a “good girl”—just ask my mama. I was a straight-A student who rarely got in trouble. I picked the right college, the right fella, the right outfit. You get the idea.

Turning my life over to Jesus ripped my story into two distinct halves: life before Him and life after Him. Still, there isn’t a lot of drama in the “before” part. No skeletons in the closet. No criminal record. No massive public failures. It’s tempting to think that Jesus died to make me a new and improved version of myself: Erin 2.0.

I’ve been walking with the Lord for more than two decades now, and the strangest thing has happened. The longer I know Him, and the more familiar I become with His Word, the uglier my heart looks. It’s like one of those optical illusion pictures that just looks like a bunch of squiggles at first. But the longer you stare, the more the edges of a hidden image start to emerge, and you see it’s not a pretty picture.

Sure, my behavior screams “good girl,” but my deceitful heart whispers thoughts of jealousy, pride, envy, hate, anger, bitterness, greed—the list goes on and on. Because here’s the truth: the Bible tells us no one is good except God alone (Romans 3:10). The achievements, accomplishments, and attitudes we attempt to polish up with a high shine are destined to look like filthy rags next to His blinding holiness (Isaiah 64:6).

Our sin—and the sin of our first parents, Adam and Eve—is a reality the Bible doesn’t bother to sugarcoat (Genesis 3). We are the children of sinners who produce children who sin. We are not a people defined by our goodness, but rather all of humanity is “weighed down with iniquity” (Isaiah 1:4). We, all of us, have turned our backs on our Creator.

When it comes to holiness, there is no bell curve. The Bible warns that everything, every single thing in our world is cursed by our sin and rebellion against God: our civilizations and our agriculture, our food and our children, our crops and our herds, our coming in and going out (Deuteronomy 28:17–19).

It has taken my entire life, but my good girl facade has cracked. Praise God. Following the rules doesn’t make me righteous, but the good news of the gospel keeps picking me up and dusting me off. “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23).

Facing up to the reality of my sin hurts. But when I wrestle with the gospel, the gospel always wins. Being good is not enough, but the thoroughly sufficient grace of a good and loving God is.

SRT-TITG-18-instagram3

Erin Davis is an author, blogger, and speaker who loves to see women of all ages run to the deep well of God’s Word. When she’s not writing, you can find Erin chasing chickens and children on her small farm in the Midwest.

160 thoughts on "Humanity Rebelled Against God"

1. Jen says:

There is so much freedom from the Gospel – we cannot earn it.

2. Shelly KingBillingsley says:

Convicting. My heart is so far from where it should be. Thank you Jesus for your sufficient grace!!

3. Jessica Broadhead says:

I am loving my new walk to find God and Learn about the teachings in the Bible.

4. L V says:

Erin thank you for sharing your truth through the Holy One’s eyes! This is truth for all of us — one very painful season of my life brought me to realize that no human being represents our amazing Jesus— no matter how “perfect” they appear or claim to be. “The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?” Jeremiah 17:9 Yet there are some who will try to lift themselves up in a false piety while publicly admonishing others through gossip. I implore everyone who reads about our Jesus (especially for the first time) to know that NO man or woman can wholeheartedly represent His PERFECT love-we are ALL the same color of sin – and all made beautiful only in Jesus

5. Jennifer Wintermute says:

Interesting thought -when reading about the punishment that we will work hard for our food till we die. It reminded me of the times I feel like I do the same thing every day and will till I die. I know one day that hopeless monotonous daily schedule will be full of hope and satisfaction. It will be one day what God made it to be from the beginning.

1. Lonira Oni says:

❤️

6. Samaria Coleman says:

There’s so much pressure to be a good girl in our community but we must remember that nothing is good but God because of sin. We can never begin to touch his level of holiness but through Jesus we’re given a new life.

7. Kayleigh says:

April,
    This is a question I’ve dealt with a lot. The thing I keep coming back to is that apart from the in tial consequence of sin — separation from God — all other consequences that have been “ranked” in our books come from earthly consequences. So for me who has anger towards her husband because he doesn’t do what I expect him to do, and for the man who murdered many, affecting multitudes of families and friends, God sees the sin that started it all, and that is His judgment. All of our outward, time-stamped trespasses are simply manifestations of the ugliness that is already inside of us.
    So while there are more earthly consequences to certain sins (murder, sexual sins, etc), I really believe God has no ranking for our sins in His book. Because either way, He’s still looking at a broken, wounded, and infected heart in need of His healing and reconciliation.

8. April Cleckner says:

The essay says there is no bell curve for holiness… I think I understand that. But are there levels of sin? Will we be judged more harshly or less depending on the sin or its impact?

1. Grace Pagliaro says:

No the lord says in the Bible that committing murder was the same as mistreating your neighbor. So all sins are the same in gods eyes.

2. Rebecca Light says:

Instead of thinking of what the sin specifically is, think of the nature of sin: it’s something that creates a barrier between us and God. Regardless of what specific sin it is. When we feel more guilt or shame because we are comparing sins, those are feelings straight from Satan. He wants to isolate us and make us feel worse than those around us.