Gideon Pursues the Kings of Midian

from the Judges reading plan

Judges 8:1-35, Deuteronomy 20:5-8, 1 Corinthians 1:18-31

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Judges 8:1-35, Deuteronomy 20:5-8, 1 Corinthians 1:18-31

Where did we get the idea that the battle should be easy? Why did we start calling the Christian life a “walk” when it is more like a war? After all, “our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this darkness, against evil, spiritual forces in the heavens” (Ephesians 6:12).

Yes, we’re the sheep of God’s flock (Psalm 95:7), the tiny chicks He tucks up under His wings (Psalm 91:4) and His dearly loved children (Ephesians 5:1). But these tender images don’t tell the whole story. We are warriors, enlisted for battle against an enemy bent on rebellion against God and the destruction of His image bearers. Truth, peace, faith, and salvation are standard issue armor for Christ’s followers (Ephesians 6:14-17). Why fit us for battle if we’ll never be expected to fight?

In Judges 8 we find Gideon serving as the general of God’s army. He’s already led the charge in a battle that left the enemy bleeding and scattered (Judges 7:19-25). From our view on the sidelines, we wouldn’t have faulted this band of brothers if they’d simply let the remaining rebels limp away toward the hills. Instead we find them in hot pursuit. The front of darkness had been pushed back, yet they knew the fighting was not over. They were worn out, battle weary, low on energy and strength, and yet they pursued because there was still an enemy at large.

These words from Gideon’s story have sunk deeply into my gut: “exhausted yet pursuing” (v.4, ESV). They jar me into remembering that for the army of God, the orders haven’t changed. Until Christ returns for us, there will always been skirmishes between flesh and blood, good and evil, light and darkness. There will be times when God’s strength will empower us to push back the front of darkness, but the enemy hasn’t yet raised the flag of surrender. And in the words of Bible teacher Kay Arthur, “There’s no retirement in the time of war.”

As long as our enemy is on the run and still gunning for the people of God, retirement isn’t an option. Though we may find ourselves weary and worn out from the battle, or celebrating a God-given victory, let us not sit back and rest on our laurels. Let us raise our swords and keep fighting.

Fighting for truth.
Fighting for hope.
Fighting for love.
Fighting to make the gospel known.

In other words, “Let us not get tired of doing good, for we will reap at the proper time if we don’t give up” (Galatians 6:9). Until the Lord blasts His trumpet, signaling the final fall of our enemy, may He find us like Gideon’s army—exhausted yet pursuing, and empowered by the strength of our Savior, who “is the power and the wisdom of God” (1 Corinthians 1:24).

SRT-Judges-Instagram-Day9

Erin Davis is an author, blogger, and speaker who loves to see women of all ages run to the deep well of God’s Word. When she’s not writing, you can find Erin chasing chickens and children on her small farm in the Midwest.

44 thoughts on "Gideon Pursues the Kings of Midian"

1. Marla Rickard says:

Although I am behind in this study I am moving forward slowly and so thankful. The crazy battle our family has been living through for the past 11 years has beat us down. So grateful for the Word if God in which we cling to, and the perfect examples of His provisions and yet…we as humans still forget, when we take our eyes off of Him. May we all learn from the past and know the importance of truly living in His presence each and every day

2. Alex Weikel says:

Exhausted yet pursuing sounds like my life. I’m struggling in so many areas and I’m exhausted. But I’m still pursuing God and his will. Lately my biggest struggle is with my job. I have told myself to keep pushing and it’s not working. I’m ready to quit but we are moving in 10months…

1. She Reads Truth says:

Thanks for sharing Alex. We’ll be praying for continued encouragement and peace during this time for you. We’re grateful that you’re here! -Margot, The SRT Team

3. Lindsey Bailey says:

Exhausted yet pursuing. Yes! Too many times, as a Christian, I have retreated when the going got tough. Closed doors, not God’s timing, not His will. Although at times, these cliche phrases can certainly be true. For me they have become a crutch. God can give breakthrough. There are absolutely those ‘suddenly’ moments in our lives. That’s our advantage as Christians. But, there are also times, God wants us to use the grit and determination, the discipline and long-suffering that He has given us as Christians. He has equipped us. He has given us armor. He didn’t give us the tools, so we could sit down, look cool in our shiny armor and do nothing. We need to stand in His power and fight. We have the advantage, but we have to fight.

1. Carrie Malone says:

2. Kay Chambers says:

Amen!

4. Susan Crosby says:

When we pursue the things of God He will give us the strength we need to do the things He has called us to do. For things outside of His will and purpose for our life we face exhaustion, indecision, lack of confidence but when we are faithful and obedient we can have strength, certainty and confidence. Another thing that Kay Arthur says is to keep on keeping on. God will provide the provisions for us to accomplish His will. We just need to be willing.

5. Dorothy says:

The only thing I have to say is WOW. I am glad will continue to take me back after all the times I will fall. Lord thank you for all you have done and being there for me. Amen.

6. Kay says:

Oh my goodness, how this devotional resounds in my heart! May I be empowered by the Spirit and the Truth of God’s Word to fight the fight until the trumpet sounds!

1. Stephanie Hendrix says:

YES YES!!!!

7. Janna Jackson says:

God had delivered the Israelites from the Midianites and confirmed that he is the one true all powerful God. Even when Gideon doubted, God was patient and kept showing him that this was his plan. Yet after all that God had done, Gideon still built a gold idol for the Israelites to worship. Why do we so easily run back to idols or addictions when we have the one real source of truth and life? Our heart is desperately weekend. Daily we need to go before the throne of grace and keep short accounts with God.

8. Ann Duncan says:

Love this line, “Though we may find ourselves weary and worn out from the battle, or celebrating a God-given victory, let us not sit back and rest on our laurels. Let us raise our swords and keep fighting.” Because Gideon didn’t quit and eventually his land knew peace and so will we. I love that God chose him and that he still struggled (vs. 27). I still have things that I wrestle with in this life, things I have to bring before God, but it doesn’t keep God from using me, so long as I keep bringing it before him and making myself available. Because we are, all of us, warriors.