Our Future After Death

from the 1 & 2 Corinthians reading plan

2 Corinthians 5:1-21, 2 Corinthians 6:1-2, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, Titus 2:11-14

BY Rebecca Faires

Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 5:1-6:2, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, Titus 2:11-14

Last summer, we ventured out west where we spent about a week sleeping in a tent with our five children. Driving from Washington back home to Tennessee, we passed the base of Mt. Rainer, the Grand Tetons, and other increasingly brave and out-of-the-way places. As we were driving through the Yakima Valley one evening, we realized it was late and getting dark, and we hadn’t settled on a place to set up camp for the night. And so we stopped along the Naches River on an abandoned stretch of highway with tall hills on both sides of the camp.

By this point we had a travel system in place; everyone knew their job, so we all worked together quickly to set up our tent. Once we’d settled in, we realized we were not alone. Just a stone’s throw away, tucked behind the sagebrush, cooking hot dogs over a fire, was Frank. I helped the kids play/bathe in the river and helped them to some supper, while my husband, Caleb, introduced himself. Frank lived in his tent full-time and had a lot of really good ideas for long-term, electricity-free refrigeration. We exchanged kindnesses and small gifts, and fell asleep in our respective tents. For us, that night was the bravest, most rugged camping we’d ever logged. But for Frank, it was just a Tuesday.

I love the hope that Paul gives us in this passage from 2 Corinthians, because no matter how comfortable or uncomfortable we are in our earthly tents, they will all be packed up and folded away someday. Because of Jesus, this is not our home. The Father “made the one who did not know sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Paul acknowledges that we are groaning in our earthly bodies, some of us living with pain that won’t go away until Jesus comes. Some of us carrying a weight of sadness that makes us long to go home. No matter what kind of tent we are living in, it will be destroyed.

The thought of my own death fills me with concern for my children. But setting that hefty thought aside and clinging to the truth Paul is teaching in this passage, I see that our earthly death means the ending of a short, uncomfortable camping trip, and the joy and relief of finally going home—where things are clean and warm and beautiful, and there’s good food and good company. But we have never seen it. So we hold on to our tents, even though they are fraying and growing holes and starting to let the rain in. These tents are awesome, don’t get me wrong. But they are not the final stop. In the meantime, Paul says, we sit in our tents and we groan.

But Paul exhorts us, “So we are always confident and know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:6). While we are still here on earth in these awesome and leaky bodies, biding our time, we have the mighty hope of our future eternal home with Christ. During these camping days, we aim to be pleasing to Him and long for the day when He will finally bring us home.

SRT-Corinthians-Shareimage-Day30

41 thoughts on "Our Future After Death"

1. Monica Davis says:

I feel hope in this lesson

2. Susan Crosby says:

For a believer…Our Blessed Hope is Jesus!

3. Julie says:

I love this camping analogy! There’s nothing like coming home, taking a warm shower, and sleeping in your own bed after camping. I think you can appreciate the comforts of home more after you’ve been camping.

4. Janet says:

Thank you this resonated with me. My mother passed a year ago & since I have not dealt with this amount of grief or actually death of someone so close before I find myself gravitating to the mystery, sadly people don’t like talking or thinking death even though we all will experience it, it’s a negative or a ‘downer’ but your message made it a positive & an ‘upper’ oh and the tent analogy makes me for some reason think of passage Matthew 6:19-21 as well. I will reference back to this Day 30 for times to come ❤️

1. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Janet, we’re sorry to hear this. We appreciate you sharing and we’re praying for you during this time. So glad that you’re here reading along with us! -Margot, The SRT Team

2. Toni Adler says:

Dear Janet,
      I’m so sorry to hear you lost your mom! I lost my mom too. It was a decade ago but I’m still not the same. It gets easier though. I pray you’ll find loving friends that will listen in your grief and help you. I know the Holy Spirit will comfort you along the way. I’m praying for you right now!

5. Teagan says:

I to get anxious thinking about if I died & something happened to my children. This is a sin of mine I seem to stuggle with a lot. Fear.
    But keep telling myself truths, God is THEIR father, he will care for them as he has for me & like the good news of this passage. Here isn’t the end!
    So helpful to think about, we groan yes…but this isn’t our permanent state we aren’t with the Lord. This isn’t home.
    What comforting words to read.

1. Gina says:

Me too. I hold them so tightly….it is hard to trust enough. I do find comfort in the fact that I am not slone in these kinds of struggles.

6. Courtney-Erin Lowery says:

This 100% is something that I struggle with as a believer. I know that God wants me to trust him and to have faith in our Kingdom home…but my earthly, humanistic side comes through. And I am fearful, and anxiety ridden from the obvious of not knowing whats to come. I have had full blown anxiety and panic attacks because of this subject. (I know deep down this is the enemy) And while I know deep down and I fully believe in Jesus Christ, its still my human fear. I
    I do love the concept of thinking of it has a tent. A tent which I am trying to build bricks around (LOL) In all seriousness; it definitely gave me a lighter way of thinking of how to view earth.

1. Shannon Davison says:

Not sure if you’ll see this, but I’m the EXACT way about it. I avoid the topic. And I hate that I feel this way, as I feel as a Christian I shouldn’t. But fear and anxiety hit me hard.

7. Tina says:

I am smiling as I write… this summer for the first time I am camping at a week long christian conference with my small group…
    I have in the past, rented houses with others.. cos I don’t do camping!
    This year however, i have been convinced to camp because I need to be in the ‘full’ atmosphere.. !
    Hilarious!
    Rebecca. What truth you speak though.. my friend, as Jim Reeves sang back in the day… ‘..this world is not my home.. I’m just passing through.. ‘
    ‘Camping’ here in this side of heaven and Eternity is almost bearable knowing Home waits for us..
    I love this…
    Thank you Rebecca..

Sending love to my fellow campers…xx

8. Brenna Riethmiller says:

This is not our home. I want to do things here that have eternal value

1. amarose says:

Read the book Radical by David Platt! It really puts our purpose here on Earth into perspective.