Victorious Resurrection

from the 1 & 2 Corinthians reading plan

1 Corinthians 15:20-58, Philippians 1:12, 1 Thessalonians 4:17

BY Andrea Lucado

Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:20-58, Philippians 1:12, 1 Thessalonians 4:17

Texans are obsessed with our state flower, the bluebonnet. Bluebonnets are wildflowers that bloom in early spring. For several weeks each season, they line our interstates and take over our fields. They are a sudden flower, nowhere to be seen for months and months and then, suddenly, they are everywhere. They don’t space out their arrival. It feels like they decide to bloom all at once. And overnight, Texas is a sea of blue.

This is why I was surprised to learn that if you want to plant bluebonnets to bloom in the spring, experts suggest planting the seeds in late summer or early fall. Though it looks like the wildflowers appear overnight, they are actually growing beneath the soil for months.

I thought of the bluebonnets while reading Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 15, when he compares our resurrection to seeds being sown: “So it is with the resurrection of the dead: Sown in corruption, raised in incorruption; sown in dishonor, raised in glory; sown in weakness, raised in power; sown a natural body, raised a spiritual body” (vv. 42-44). In the resurrection, we will be completely transformed, and Paul says this change will happen suddenly, “in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye” (vv. 51–52).

My temptation when reading these words is to look forward to the change to come, and ignore my need to change now. Great, I think, in the end when I am resurrected, all will be well. I will be the person I was made to be. I, and the entire world, will be restored and redeemed.

But the last verse of this chapter suggests another way to think about this sudden change. Paul says, “Therefore, my dear brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the Lord’s work, knowing that your labor in the Lord is not in vain” (v.58).

The instruction isn’t, “Therefore, sit back and relax, it’ll all be okay in the end.” The instruction is, “Therefore keep working, steadfastly, immovably, excelling at the Lord’s work because none of this is in vain.” The change to come will seem sudden, but really, just as the bluebonnet is sown in fall to bloom in spring, we will have been working toward change all along.

This is incredibly convicting for me. This is incredibly convicting for the church. We have been sown, and now we must do the hard work of growing. This is the Lord’s work: we care for the poor. We work toward reconciliation. We confess. We repent. We forgive. And we do all of this now because we know it is not in vain. What the Lord plants, He will grow. The work He begins, He will complete (Philippians 1:6).

So today, may we look toward our final resurrection, made possible through the resurrection of Christ, with great hope. But let’s not allow our hope for the future to distract us from the work at hand. There is much to do. Therefore, let’s be steadfast, immovable, and excel at the Lord’s work on earth, knowing we may not see all the fruit of our labor now, but all will be in bloom when the trumpet sounds.

SRT-Corinthians-Shareimage-Day22

47 thoughts on "Victorious Resurrection"

1. Georgia Tanner says:

Andrea, thank you so much for these beautiful words of encouragement! I have taught a bible study for 17 years and have written a book about Genesis (yet to be published!)and have just started my blog of Small Stories of a Big God – because I love God’s word and see that every word in God’s Word tells us more about God! But it is so easy to become discouraged and grow weary of doing good. Your reminder of the roots growing unseen was the perfect visual for me this morning. God will determine the timing and the hue of the bloom. I will be steadfast, immovable and excel in the Lord’s work that He has given me today.

2. Natalie H says:

I love the idea of blooming when the trumpet sounds. Thanks Andrea!

3. Julie Waldvogel says:

My uncles sing as “The Kings Army” and they have a song about that last resurrection of us and how we will all rise at the trumpet sound.

4. Jama Maples says:

This was a very timely message for me. My grandfather is not doing well and will soon be passing. I, naturally, have been upset about it all week, but today I am filled with hope. For I know, that even though my grandfather’s earthly body is passing away, his spiritual body is waiting for him with Jesus. So thank you for this encouragement. And also, for the convicting message to keep pressing on in the Lord’s work until it is time for me to join the Lord.

1. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Jama, we’re so sorry to hear this. Our team will be praying for you and your family during this time. We’re grateful that you’re a part of our community. -Margot, The SRT Team

5. Brianna Foshie says:

Great read!

6. Monica Davis says:

Amen. Lord help me be a bluebonnet.

1. Lori Best-White says:

❤️

7. Jennifer says:

Such a wonderful devotion for today! My kids are eagerly watching two caterpillars we found on our parsley plant. Outwardly, today, nothing seems to be happening. They are still and unmoving. If I didn’t know better, I’d think they were dead. But, their heads are tucked in the “J” position and I know that changes are happening, even if we can’t see it yet. What a comfort to know that even on the days when I can’t see change in my heart – when I only see my own weakness and sin – the Lord is still at work in me! And He has promised to see that work through until it is finished. What a promise, what a comfort, what a joy!

8. Kate says:

I had a hard time wrapping my mind around this passage until it was The Message translation and it struck me that really one of the main things of this scripture is that this world and death isn’t really the end. we’re all just waiting here biding our time until we can go home.

And then i immediately had all the times I’ve told my kids “we just have to wait patiently” in grocery lines and doctors offices. sometimes for hours and hours to where you never think you’re going to get out of there. but how we wait is just as important. just like with kids, if we whine and complain and fidget and fuss, it’s not going to do us and good and it’s going to cause those around us trouble. but if we wait patiently and be kind to the people around us and empathize we can make their day a little better and have a more positive experience ourselves.

the troubles and waiting of life are harder than waiting in a doctor’s office but at least we know we ARE going home with an assured awesome outcome.

1. Marian says:

THANK YOU for mentioning reading it in the Message. It helped me understand the passage better!