The Lord’s Supper

from the 1 & 2 Corinthians reading plan

1 Corinthians 11:2-34, Matthew 26:26-28, Romans 3:25-26

BY Rebecca Faires

Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 11:2-34, Matthew 26:26-28, Romans 3:25-26

In an early episode of I Love Lucy, Lucy is pregnant, distracted, and she hasn’t fixed Ricky dinner. The poor man is irritated, miserable, and hungry. He declares his need for steak and potatoes, but with time running short, Lucy counters with a fried egg sandwich—and he scoffs at this paltry offering. At this point, my husband and I had to stop the episode and look at each other: “He literally can’t make food for himself? She’s had a busy day and he won’t accept a simpler meal?” The difference between the dinner expectations of 1952 television husbands and 2018 television husbands are surprisingly different.

The cultural expectations for the roles of men and women have changed even more dramatically since Paul wrote this letter to the Corinthians. Paul’s instructions about head coverings and spheres of authority make us a little uncomfortable. But head coverings for women were pretty normal, even as recently as 100 years ago. Just because our husbands can make their own dinner and we wear our hair in loose, glorious ringlets, doesn’t mean we’re getting it exactly right. It just means we happen to be the generation walking around right now. It doesn’t make us smarter or better equipped to appreciate authority than generations past.

Who should be making dinner? And who’s hair should be blowing in the breeze? It’s tempting for us to get caught up here in these little brambly questions but miss the important issue here of authority. Who is our authority? First, you know what my answer will be: Christ is the Lord of creation, the Lord of men, women, communities, families. All authority has been given to Him on heaven and on earth. So, if you had any adorable delusions whether the ultimate authority is your own self, or the president, or your two-year-old, put them to rest. There is one final authority.

This same Lord of all, the ultimate authority, yielded up all on our behalf, giving His very body and blood to rescue us from just condemnation.

“On the night when He was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, broke it, and said, ‘This is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’

In the same way also He took the cup, after supper, and said, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.’ For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” (1 Corinthians 11:23-26).

The question of authority comes down to yielding our own will to the will of someone else. When we eat and drink “in remembrance of” Him, do we truly yield our all to Him? Do we remember the glory He laid aside for us, or do we seek our own glory? When we hold back in order to honor ourselves—seeking our own will, based on our own understanding—the result is the same as it was in Corinth: divisions arise, each man seeks his own gain, and some fall to excess, while others are neglected.

He served us dinner and washed our feet, without hesitation and without reservation. And for the meal before Him, which signaled His own agonizing death, He gave thanks. Our hearts ought to be full of thanksgiving in turn, full of a desire to serve and honor others. When we see the world as Christ’s, we can make the dinner, we can love our neighbor, we can honor our husbands, we can yield to God’s will for us.

SRT-Corinthians-Shareimage-Day15

73 thoughts on "The Lord’s Supper"

1. Olivia says:

As members of the Church of Christ, we take communion every Sunday morning when we meet together to worship. Such a special time for me to know that my entire family- biological, close friends, and spiritual brothers and sisters- are remembering our Lord’s sacrificial covenant together. The Lord’s Supper is my favorite time of the week and gives me the strength to look ahead.

2. Katelyn says:

Hi everyone! A family friend is having brain surgery tomorrow and she’s not even in high school yet. And a coworker at a Christian camp just had heart surgery today. Prayers would be appreciated, thank you!

1. Dominique says:

Praying..

2. Julie says:

Just prayed…Blessings to both of them. May they feel His everlasting loving arms wrapped around them.

3. Elaine says:

ok sorry for the comment spam but i have another question, in 1 Cor 11:10, what does “because of the angels” mean?

1. Stephanie says:

Hi Elaine! I found Thisbe passage a bit hard to follow as well. I used this commentary and found it helpful https://enduringword.com/bible-commentary/1-corinthians-11/

Hope that helps!

1. Carmel says:

This article was very helpful and interesting. I have a question about myself though: I lost my husband about 2 years ago and no longer have a headship at home. (Granted, I wasn’t really that good at submitting in the first place, but I did try — I was a young woman in the late 1960’s and 1970’s when the “women’s movement” was all the raged). My question is Now who is my authority other than Christ? I do feel that since I joined a bible-believing church, I am submitting to the authority of the pastor and elders. So far they have proven trustworthy. Would this count?

2. truthseeker says:

I, also, was wondering that

4. Elaine says:

so if somebody could explain those please?

5. Elaine says:

and here Paul says “neither was man created for the sake of woman, but eoman for the sake of man” but earlier he said that “a husband doesnt have the right over his own but his wife does”

6. Elaine says:

“a man should not cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God” if man is the image of God, and characteristically speaking woman and men look very much alike (until you get to the privates) and the Bible is only speaking of covering our heads, (our heads are very similar to men’s heads, which means we also look like God) how come its only women who were told to cover our heads when we have the same characteristics as men?

1. Amanda says:

Hi Elaine,
      Paul is saying that believers should look and behave in ways that are honorable in their own culture. In Corinth at the time this was written, long hair on men/short hair on women were signs of prostitution. We shouldn’t adopt all the practices of our culture, but we should avoid appearances and behavior that detract from our ultimate goal of being believable witnesses for Jesus while demonstrating our Christian faith.

This is from NIV study notes, I hope it helps a little!

1. Elaine says:

that makes sense. thank you

7. Summer Chavez says:

Frustrating reading today. Praying and hoping that I can get back into closeness with the Lord. To understand the Word and not just read it. Pull me closer to You! Help me to put my pride aside and to seek You and not seek to solve my problems in my own strength. May I go to You first instead of as a second or third choice. Change my heart!

1. Anonymous says:

This is also my prayer today! Thank you for saying it so eloquently.

2. Carol Pierce says:

There are times in all of our lives that your comments express so adequately! Praying with you & for you!

8. Hannah Romero says:

I love that this post doesn’t just tackle one half of the chapter or the other, but actually looks at the big picture and ties the whole chapter together (while managing to address some tough verses honestly and humbly). Thank you for how you handled this. Also, God used it to reinforce some truths I need to hear that He’s been lovingly bombarding me with lately.