Warnings from Israel’s Past

from the 1 & 2 Corinthians reading plan

1 Corinthians 10:1-32, 1 Corinthians 11:1, Exodus 13:17-22, Philippians 2:1-2

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 10:1-11:1, Exodus 13:17-22, Philippians 2:1-2

When I was a little girl, I loved doll babies. I’m sure I’m not alone here, but I will admit that my affection for the plastic figures may have been a little extreme. I didn’t have any sisters, and my one and only brother is six years older than me. So in a lot of ways, my dolls were my friends. I’d spend hours dressing them, teaching them, taking them for walks. I sat them in circles for storytime, and made sure they were “fed” before bedtime. They were special to me, and although I had way more than I needed, I still longed for the latest, prettiest, most updated versions available. And I never wanted to share any of them, with anyone.

I remember one particular day at my grandparents’ house, a new friend was visiting. As usual, I was busy playing with the set of babies my grandparents purchased just for their house. I was doing what brought me joy, and it never occurred to me to share. Before long, my grandfather casually said, “Wynter, which doll can your friend play with?” Unsurprisingly, I refused to part with any.

It’s easy to think back on this story and see my actions for exactly what they were: selfish. My loving grandfather would have been completely justified in taking each of my dolls from me. After all, my actions had proven me to be undeserving. But in his love for me and his desire to see my heart changed, he did not take my dolls. Instead he pulled me close and explained how my lack of care for another person had not only hurt someone else, but had also disappointed him.

When our Heavenly Father notices our selfishness, He gently reminds us of what real love actually looks like. In 1 Corinthians 10, the apostle Paul says, “No one is to seek his own good, but the good of the other person” (v. 24). We have all been blessed by God’s matchless goodness. Jesus didn’t just give up a part of what He had every right to hold onto. Instead, He gave it all, His very life.

Jesus’ choice to pursue goodness for everyone is the ultimate measure of seeking goodness for another. May we imitate His love because He first loved us.

If then there is any encouragement in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, make my joy complete by thinking the same way, having the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.
—Philippians 2:1-2

SRT-Corinthians-Shareimage-Day12

Wynter Pitts is the founder of For Girls Like You, a resource ministry for both tween girls and their parents. The mother of four girls herself, Wynter’s mission is to empower and equip women of all ages in becoming who God created them to be, and to support parents in raising strong Christ followers. She is the author of several books, including You’re God’s Girl Devotional and She Is Yours: Trusting God As You Raise the Girl He Gave You.  Wynter, her husband Jonathan, and their daughters (ages 7-13) live in Dallas, Texas. Follow her on Instagram @forgirlslikeyou.

30 thoughts on "Warnings from Israel’s Past"

1. Katherine says:

Great post!

2. Emily T says:

Can everyone please pray? My brother may have appendicitis. We don’t have health insurance and we have very little money for this sort of thing. Thank you.

1. Candy says:

Yes I am praying for you and your brother. No hospital can refuse to treat him and there are usually no interest ways to pay them back or even have the costs forgiven so please don’t hesitate to take him to an emergency room! Just the nurse in me talking :) God is good and He will get you through this!

2. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Emily, thank you for sharing. Our team will be praying for your brother and family during this time. So grateful that you’re here! -Margot, The SRT Team

3. Katelyn says:

Emily, I’m praying that he receives good care and that God heals him and provides financial help. I’ll be praying for you and your family as well.

4. Annesta Lunde says:

Praying now

5. Tanya Rodriguez says:

Emily, praying that JAH Rapha will intervene in your brothers life as well as your family’s

3. Megan says:

I’m still pretty new to SRT. And lately I’ve struggled with the devotional side of the daily readings. Not to say they aren’t well written, but I guess I’ve felt like they’ve just barely skimmed the top of how challenging a book 1 Corinthians is.

BUT the Lord reminded me this morning that SRT is a tool, and my focus each morning should be on His Words versus over focusing on the words of others. So I just wanted to encourage anyone who may be in the same boat to keep reading and dwell on the scripture that’s given each day.

(And this is in no way to criticize those who are writing but more a confession of how my focus was corrected this morning by the Lord. )

1. Elle says:

Sometimes HeReadsTruth has a bit deeper reflections. When these devotionals here feel a little too anecdotal and fluffy, I’ll usually check that page as well. I’m always hoping for devotionals that really dig into the readings for the week in a deep way. It varies a lot though from day to day and plan to plan.

2. Emily says:

I like to think of it as more of an introduction that a devotional. For me it is a great way to get my mind ready for the scripture I am about to read. It helps remind me about the idea or the the focus of what I am reading. Sometime it gives me a reminder of what the theme is and what I should look for in the scripture.

3. Jen says:

I chose to read the scripture first to see what I gleen from it before I read the devotion. The devotion usually goes in a different direction (more light hearted) than the Word speaks to me. I have been really happy for SHR .com where we can share our questions and thoughts on each day’s readings.
      Here I can ask my questions and other believers can share their understanding of things. This is where I feel I can dig deeper and I’m so thankful for those who us this tool and have helped me. I too love SRT and this is my first study with others,( I did Ruth on my own and love the study books, a gift from my daughter). I was hoping that in each day’s scripture there would be a few questions to encourage us to dig deeper, examine ourselves and meditate over to see how we can apply it to our lives. I think it would be helpful to new followers as well as scholars. Thanks to all who continue to help me with my walk, race and past, grow closer to Christ.

4. Katherine says:

Thanks for sharing this message, I too get stuck on how challenging it is to digest the message sometimes, thank you for reminding me to fix my eyes and focus on God and scripture.

5. Bunny says:

I use Matthew Henry’s commentary. He breaks it down line by line. I am always looking for new commentarys. Would be awesome if anyone has a favorite?

4. Meagan Riggs says:

It really stood out to me how it’s made clear that God was disappointed with Israel’s actions – 23,000 perished in one day (ONE DAY!) – but the pillar still led them by day and night and *did not depart from them*. God’s heart is for His people and even when it seems like everyone around me is making other choices, I can stand in the wildness unafraid of being lost or alone.

5. Susan says:

This is such a timely reminder. Today, I pray that our She Reads Truth message is carried farther afield to the heights of the government halls in this country. My heart is so heavy as I watch domestic policy spiral so cruelly. I pray our leaders stop in the current chaos and seek the Lord’s message and that guide them to stand against callousness and hate.

1. Maeve says:

So needed. Thank you Susan.

6. Kristen says:

It’s so awesome how God works. I just was reading the devotional for First 5 of Proverbs 31 Ministry. I was reminded of the awesomeness of God and His faithfulness. I’ve been convicted of how I want my words and actions to please Him while around certain people in my family. It’s not easy and I need help. I want to selfishly say things, but it’s better to please God. Oh, I’ve messed up for sure, but I know He can help me to show His love by my words, silence, and actions. He is Great and greatly to be praised. I need to put Him first and live in reverence of Him. ““Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.”
    ‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭32:17‬ ‭NIV‬‬ Also, I read Psalm 104! Great reminder of how everything depends on God.

7. Kelly Chataine says:

Yes, do everything for the glory of God!
    J esus first!
    O thers
    Y ou (or me, but Jom is not a word)

1. Marushca Van Noordwyk says:

❤️

8. Churchmouse says:

Permissible vs. beneficial.
    Permissible vs. building up.
    My own good vs. the good of the other person.
    Therein lies the rub.
    “Do everything for the glory of God.”
    Therein lies the answer. Therein lies the goal.

1. Cynthia Johnston says:

Well put,Churchmouse! Thank you!

2. Naomi Meiburger says:

Meant my post to be a reply: agreed well put churchmouse