Warnings from Israel’s Past

from the 1 & 2 Corinthians reading plan

1 Corinthians 10:1-32, 1 Corinthians 11:1, Exodus 13:17-22, Philippians 2:1-2

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 10:1-11:1, Exodus 13:17-22, Philippians 2:1-2

When I was a little girl, I loved doll babies. I’m sure I’m not alone here, but I will admit that my affection for the plastic figures may have been a little extreme. I didn’t have any sisters, and my one and only brother is six years older than me. So in a lot of ways, my dolls were my friends. I’d spend hours dressing them, teaching them, taking them for walks. I sat them in circles for storytime, and made sure they were “fed” before bedtime. They were special to me, and although I had way more than I needed, I still longed for the latest, prettiest, most updated versions available. And I never wanted to share any of them, with anyone.

I remember one particular day at my grandparents’ house, a new friend was visiting. As usual, I was busy playing with the set of babies my grandparents purchased just for their house. I was doing what brought me joy, and it never occurred to me to share. Before long, my grandfather casually said, “Wynter, which doll can your friend play with?” Unsurprisingly, I refused to part with any.

It’s easy to think back on this story and see my actions for exactly what they were: selfish. My loving grandfather would have been completely justified in taking each of my dolls from me. After all, my actions had proven me to be undeserving. But in his love for me and his desire to see my heart changed, he did not take my dolls. Instead he pulled me close and explained how my lack of care for another person had not only hurt someone else, but had also disappointed him.

When our Heavenly Father notices our selfishness, He gently reminds us of what real love actually looks like. In 1 Corinthians 10, the apostle Paul says, “No one is to seek his own good, but the good of the other person” (v. 24). We have all been blessed by God’s matchless goodness. Jesus didn’t just give up a part of what He had every right to hold onto. Instead, He gave it all, His very life.

Jesus’ choice to pursue goodness for everyone is the ultimate measure of seeking goodness for another. May we imitate His love because He first loved us.

If then there is any encouragement in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, make my joy complete by thinking the same way, having the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.
—Philippians 2:1-2

SRT-Corinthians-Shareimage-Day12

Wynter Pitts is the founder of For Girls Like You, a resource ministry for both tween girls and their parents. The mother of four girls herself, Wynter’s mission is to empower and equip women of all ages in becoming who God created them to be, and to support parents in raising strong Christ followers. She is the author of several books, including You’re God’s Girl Devotional and She Is Yours: Trusting God As You Raise the Girl He Gave You.  Wynter, her husband Jonathan, and their daughters (ages 7-13) live in Dallas, Texas. Follow her on Instagram @forgirlslikeyou.

30 thoughts on "Warnings from Israel’s Past"

1. Shelby says:

Good reminder. I was reading this as I was feeding ducks at my apartment complex when a neighbor yelled at me to stop feeding them because they didn’t like the poop on the complex’s sidewalks. I felt discouraged. I let the ducks finish what I had already placed out for them. (I’ve been feeding them for 3 years). So now I have to figure out where to feed them at because they make me happy.

2. Renae Pearson says:

Seek others good first!! Not just in my family, but with everyone I come in contact with!

3. Kathryn Green says:

Yep, this reading was for me today. Amazing how that works. Thanks God for speaking to me directly this morning about my struggle this weekend!

4. Emily Denn says:

I love how focused on others this is! It can sometimes be exhausting to continually work at serving others, and it’s easy to think, “Who in this world will take care of me, then?” But we are not of this world. “He will never leave me nor forsake me.” When I’m feeling warn out, I need to remember to make sure that I’m putting God very first, then others. He will fill me up so that I can continue His purpose for me here on Earth: to share his love with his people.

5. Andrey Golubzema says:

The Government of Israel administers immigration and security controls at its international land crossings with Jordan into the West Bank and Israel, with Egypt, and at Israel’s airports and seaports. A separate network of security checkpoints and crossings operated by Israeli authorities regulates the movement of people and goods from Israel and Jerusalem into the West Bank and Gaza. Palestinian ID holders and Americans with only U.S. citizenship who are married to Palestinian ID holders may be required to obtain a permit from Israeli authorities to travel between the West Bank or Gaza and Israel. Detailed information regarding Government of Israel-controlled crossings and borders is available from Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In the West Bank, the Palestinian Authority exercises security and civil control in Area A and civil control in Area B; Israel exercises security control in Area B and security and civil control in Area C. In Gaza, Hamas operates internal checkpoints that may restrict the movement of individuals, including U.S. citizens, and regulate entry and exit from the territory.

6. Bev says:

Today’s SRT intersects with today’s Piper:
    “My desire to feel the power of God’s grace conquering the pride and selfishness in my life inclines me to behavior that demonstrates the victory of grace, namely, love. Genuine love is so contrary to human nature that it’s presence bears witness to an extraordinary power. The Christian Hedonist pursues love because (s)he is addicted to the experience of that power. (S)he wants to feel more and more of the grace of God reigning in her life.” ~ John Piper, Desiring God #truth!

1. Rachel Clark says:

Amen! Thanks for sharing.

7. Naomi Meiburger says: