Glorifying God in Body and Spirit

from the 1 & 2 Corinthians reading plan

1 Corinthians 6:1-20, Matthew 18:15-20, Titus 3:4-7

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 6:1-20, Matthew 18:15-20, Titus 3:4-7

Last August, I started snapping photos of waiting rooms in doctors’ offices. In an attempt to manage my pre-medical exam nerves, I snapped the first picture in an empty, grey walk-in clinic during my lunch break. I assured myself that when I walked out of the room and closed the door, I’d look back at the picture on my phone and laugh at how silly my fear was.

Almost a year later, I’ve amassed quite a collection of waiting room images. I still have the strange spasm in my shoulder that causes pain and is now considered chronic, at least by those doctors. It keeps me up at night, and hurts most while doing the work I love and feel called to—namely, writing. This year has brought more questions than answers, leaving me insecure about my pain. In the end, I feel like my body is more a vessel of shame and weakness than a temple of praise.

In some ways, our bodies ache with sin and pain. Our muscles, memory, and metabolism may fail us. Our bodies betray us with limits, and we betray our bodies when we disregard those limits. All this brokenness is an ever-present reminder of Christ’s body broken for us, our sin, and our shame.

The apostle Paul tells us we’ve been washed, sanctified, and justified “in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God” (v.11). Therefore, because of Christ’s sacrificial death and resurrection for us, our bodies are no longer our own; they were bought with a price. “So glorify God with your body” (vv.19–20).

Paul tell us to flee from sexual immorality, to not be mastered by anything, to avoid legal disputes with one another—all in an effort to glorify God. Without the context of Jesus, this can begin to sound like a legalistic to-do list. But as theologian Henri Nouwen says, “The church is not an institution forcing us to follow rules but a community inviting us to still our hunger and thirst at its table.”

In 1 Corinthians 6, we find ways to still our hunger and thirst (1 Corinthians 4:11), but when we try to do so without filling them up with heavenly things instead, our bodies still feel like empty vessels of shame. Jesus is the only one who can truly fill us up and sustain us. When we turn to Him, we’re reminded that it was His body that was broken, His blood that was shed, for us.

To glorify God with our bodies means to place physical trust in His plan to bring redemption to our brokenness. It means taking part in the groans of humanity and the painfulness of sin. It means remembering His promises to bring wholeness and healing now, even if we don’t know when it’s coming.

Acknowledging our aches and limitations is at the heart of what it is to be a child of God. He is all that we will ever need to withstand our heartache, pain, and sin. In our weakness, His power is perfected, and He is glorified (2 Corinthians 12:9).

We are not our own. We are His glory vessels. Thanks be to Him.

SRT-Corinthians-Shareimage-Day8

75 thoughts on "Glorifying God in Body and Spirit"

1. Moon Child says:

God made my heart to love Him. Lord please grant me with wisdom and love to continue this journey in company with my SRT sisters. Guide me through your humble path, be patient with me. Thank You.

2. Chelsea Adkins says:

I feel like the teaching on sexual immorality is always missed/avoided for women which is a shame. I think it’s such an important topic but for some reason is most often applied to men and not so much women…. It would be wonderful for SRT to engage with this important topic when teaching on scripture that speaks directly on the topic.
    That being said, I am still grateful for this study and I am so grateful for the way SRT has transformed my personal bible reading habits! :)

1. She Reads Truth says:

We appreciate this feedback Chelsea, thanks for sharing. We’re so glad that you’re reading along with us! -Margot, The SRT Team

1. M says:

Agreed. Such an important topic. How to encourage, discipline, call out lovingly when there is sin? My husband and I were walking with a young woman who has chosen her flesh, rejected the supportive Biblical accountability and encouragement to wise boundarieswe were providing, her whole church communityand is now living with her boyfriend. Still claiming Christ, but not trusting Him enough to wait. So so sad.

3. LeighAnn McLean says:

Such a great reminder for a single woman. There is no need to feel alone because Jesus is the only one who can truly sustain us.

1. Cynthia says:

So true but hard to grasp. But definitely He is our sustainer, our source…..oh how I needed to be reminded!!

4. Allie Cole says:

Trusting God with my mothers healing is difficult to do. I long for the day when she can finally get hip replacement surgery and be fully recovered. I think then she can finally be happy and whole again. However, in this longing, God meets me. He is the one who brings happiness and wholeness. Perfect health cannot do this. I can praise God when when her body is failing her for this reason! And I can trust Jesus’ promise of healing. May be be glorified in this season of pain and longing!

1. Shannon O says:

Praying for you and your family, Allie!

5. Cori S. says:

“Your life is not your own.” Coincidentally, this line was also in an episode of BBC’s Sherlock I watched last night. Hm.

6. Peggy Lester says:

I need the reminder that I have been bought with a price, a terrible price freely paid, and that it is my sacred responsibility to glorify my Father with my body and not allow myself to be mastered by anything. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

7. Jessica Harvey says:

What a timely word. I have been struggling with my weight and food and am finally fed up. I told God today I am surrendering my body because it is a temple of the Holy Spirit and I need to honor God with it. I also read an article about female Christian rapper Jackie Hill Perry. She said that God gave us hers bodies and it’s not right for us to say we can do whatever we want with this body. She said its predictions to believe that because it’s an attack on the wisdom of God. I want to honor God with my body and be grateful for this vessel Go gave me.

8. Becky Klaff says:

Wow. I’ve been suffering similar ailments over the last year and I have had to work hard and constant at reminding myself of my blessings, but I really like the way you say it’s a reminder Christ’s sacrifice. It really helps to put things in perspective.