Spiritual Wisdom

from the 1 & 2 Corinthians reading plan

1 Corinthians 2:1-16, Romans 8:26-30, Ephesians 1:13-14

BY Andrea Lucado

Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 2:1-16, Romans 8:26-30, Ephesians 1:13-14

I recently listened to an interview with Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia. Wales said he started Wikipedia because he wanted to make information available to everyone for free. Today, I’m sure most of us with an internet connection have benefitted from Wales’s aspirations.

With Wikipedia, as well as countless other sites on the web, we can know almost anything about any person, place, or thing. It is the Information Age, after all. The Information Age has given us the illusion that we can know everything. It has given us the illusion that we no longer need to grapple with the unknown. And it’s tempting to believe that knowledge—the kind that’s available to us with the click of a button—is equivalent to wisdom.

But it’s not.

In 1 Corinthians 2, Paul writes about the difference between the wisdom of men and spiritual wisdom. The wisdom of men is “coming to nothing,” he says. “On the contrary, we speak God’s hidden wisdom in a mystery, a wisdom God predestined before the ages for our glory” (vv.6-7).

Paul then explains that God’s wisdom is no longer hidden in mystery because it has been revealed to us by God’s Spirit. What is this wisdom? In short: “Jesus Christ and him crucified” (v.2). It seems so simple—too simple, especially in the Information Age—for the idea of wisdom to be boiled down to this one simple truth. And yet, this is what Scripture tells us.

The temptation is to fill up our minds with as much “wisdom” as possible. We gather knowledge in an attempt to be the smartest in the room and because we find security in thinking all of our questions can be answered with a Google search.

But spiritual wisdom frees us from relying on our own knowledge. It frees us from having to answer every question, and it opens up our lives to the power of the Spirit. In this, paradoxically, Scripture says we are able to “evaluate everything” (v.15). When we are not sure what to do, where to turn or who to talk to, we have the Spirit. When we are confused, disheartened, angry, we have the Spirit. And this Spirit is wisdom. This Spirit gives us more than the entire archive of Wikipedia ever could. It gives us “the mind of Christ” (v.16).

Do you believe you have the mind of Christ? Do you trust the Spirit who has been given to you? Or are you still scrolling the internet looking for answers?

Knowledge is a wonderful tool, and I am grateful to live in an age when we have such ready access to it. But no matter how much knowledge I acquire, it will never measure up to the Holy Spirit within me. That quiet, still, discerning voice. The very Spirit of God who gives me the very mind of Christ.

Let us seek spiritual wisdom first. Let us ask the Spirit for guidance first. Let us cling to our hope that is not in knowledge or the Information Age, but in Christ Himself.

SRT-Corinthians-Shareimage-Day2

147 thoughts on "Spiritual Wisdom"

1. Amber Anderson says:

❤️

2. Heather O. says:

Amen!

3. Shelby Lynn says:

What a good read! How our Wisdom is so simple; thanks be to God.

Also verse 15, as we belong to God we shouldn’t subject ourself to human condemnation/approval as God is our only judge. HOW I needed this today, what an eye opener for how I grew up feeling inadequate and this verse just became present to me at 26yrs old. Thank you Lord for your Word, all my bibles, the cross I safely wear on my neck and the love you have woven in my heart. I love you Father!

4. Heidi MelinJones says:

Praying for the Holy Spirit to give my husband and I wisdom as we look at an opportunity that has been presented to us.

5. Megan Blew says:

Love the reminder that spiritual wisdom frees us from relying on our own knowledge! I find freedom today in this statement as I make some new decisions for my future.

6. Logan Christine Ranhofer says:

Once again I am shown how wonderful the Bible is and how unique God’s people are and how He uses us. While during my own reading I picked up on completely different passages and then reading this devotion by Andrea I was able to see even more. What a beautiful gift the Word is to us.

In my own reading I picked up on the first five verses and how Paul was saying he “did not come with brilliance of speech or wisdom” and “decided to know nothing among [them] except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.” This was encouraging to me because I often become self conscious and shy when speaking my thoughts on the Bible and other spiritual matters in fear I’ll be too simple and not knowledgeable enough. But Paul tells us that we only need God and His Spirit to work through us and like Andrea said Jesus and His crucifixion is where true spiritual wisdom is found.

7. Sydney Sonderman says:

Yup

8. T says:

The Spirit is always around giving me answers when I least expect them. I had been struggling with something lately and went to Books-a-million and found my answer/help. I picked up a book and opened to a page in the middle. I got just what I needed without having to search. We’re all searching for answers that only He can provide