A Prayer for Comfort

from the Psalms for Prayer reading plan

Psalm 23:1-6

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Psalm 23:1-6

Have you ever had everything you’ve ever wanted, yet still felt unhappy? I have. At the time, I was fully aware that most people would take one look at my life and suggest that I had everything I needed, but somehow it didn’t feel like enough. It wasn’t that I was ungrateful for what I had, I just wanted—longed for—something more, something else.

I will never forget that morning when I woke up, looked around my bedroom and burst into tears. I was married to a wonderful man. I was the mom of four healthy, happy daughters. I had friends and family that loved me, and although our lifestyle was not lavish with shopping sprees and shiny things, we were able to live on a single income—just one of the many answered prayers that had filled that season of my life. And in that moment, right outside my closed bedroom door, I could hear my husband of six years, giggling and enjoying an easy morning with our girls—more answered prayers.

So why was I crying? I felt empty and alone, and I felt guilty about both. Although my tears were streaming from a place of discontent, they were also layered with the guilt from the reality of those feelings. I was ashamed to acknowledge that answered prayers had landed me in one of the most uncomfortable seasons of my life. It seemed as if all I had prayed for was still not enough to fill me up and grant me what I thought it might deliver. It was in this very moment that God reminded me of what I was desperately seeking. It was a void His presence alone could fill.

I wasn’t looking, but He found me. I wasn’t asking, but He gave me more in a moment than I would have ever asked. I was reminded of these words:

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing (Psalm 23:1).

As simple as they are, these words penetrated my soul and began to take up new real estate in my heart. God had answered many of my prayers, yet I’d failed to realize that His promises do not always arrive on smooth paths. But regardless of circumstances, He does promise to provide His comfort the way a good shepherd does—with a little pulling, prodding, and nudging in the direction He knows is best. The shepherd’s presence is everything to his sheep.

In the same way, in God’s presence, we need nothing more, nothing but Him. He provides and protects, and His love fills us up to overflowing. When we look to anyone or anything else but Him, we will always be left unsatisfied and wanting. Our Good Shepherd knows exactly what we need—when to get up and when to lie down and rest. He calls us to turn our focus toward Him, to be reminded that His presence is enough. He alone supplies all the guidance, provision, and comfort we will ever need.

SRT-PsalmsForPrayer-Shareimage-Day10

Wynter Pitts is the founder of For Girls Like You, a resource ministry for both tween girls and their parents. The mother of four girls herself, Wynter’s mission is to empower and equip women of all ages in becoming who God created them to be, and to support parents in raising strong Christ followers. She is the author of several books, including You’re God’s Girl Devotional and She Is Yours: Trusting God As You Raise the Girl He Gave You.  Wynter, her husband Jonathan, and their daughters (ages 7-13) live in Dallas, Texas. Follow her on Instagram @forgirlslikeyou.

79 thoughts on "A Prayer for Comfort"

1. Abbigail Clark says:

He found me. Those words ring very true today. This devotional was very near to my heart. Reminding me that his plan is far greater than mine – and it’s okay that things are playing out differently than I had anticipated. He is so good. He’s reminded me to fix my eyes on the giver, not the gift.

2. Lisa Scata says:

“He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul.” As a stay-at-home mom dabbling in a little part time work from home, I have a hard time resting, but God is showing me that when I surrender my work – whether it be tasks around the house, needs of the kids, or my job “to do list” – and spend time praying, reading, and meditating on the Word, God provides restoration. The tasks still get done (sometimes in ways I don’t even expect – like kids or my husband pitching in, or time opening up in my schedule), AND I am a much more patient, happy person. So grateful for this reminder and the renewal in Christ!!

3. Annie DiGirolamo says:

This is amazing. Thank you for the reminder that HE ALONE is all we need to satisfy. Couldn’t have come at a better time for my life right now. Thanks for sharing!

4. Alisha McWhorter says:

I have been in this same place as the writer. It almost comes and goes with the seasons. That is what led me to this study and to more like it… anything else I’m looking toward or seeking is not enough. I MUST seek God alone, and his presence WILL be enough.

5. H H says:

This is so futile sounding, but my boyfriend of two years and I broke up last night. It still seems like that step could have been avoided, but here we are. Throughout the entirety of the breakup conversation, I just sat there, silently praying that God would use whatever came next to bless my life. What came next were the words “I just feel like this has been a long time coming”. And my heart instantly broke. And it feels like it’s never going to be whole again. I know that’s untrue, but still. This was my first relationship. I’ve never felt this before. And I’m so crushed. I needed this reminder today. That God is enough. More than enough. He is more significant, and offers more comfort than any person ever could. May this new season of my life be used for His purpose and glory.

1. Jessica Martin says:

This doesn’t seem futile at all, I have been through something similar. It’s not easy at all. But God has a greater plan for your life than you can ever imagine. I pray that he will comfort you and use you for His glory as you have said!

1. H H says:

Thank you, Jessica! Can I ask, how did you cope in your situation? I’m not doing too well, at the moment. Difficulty sleeping, crying every two seconds and the like. I’m trying so hard to stay positive, and he and I met up to pray over each other yesterday, but my heart is so hopeful that we can reunite one day And I know that’s a dangerous mindset to dwell in. I’m making more of an effort to find peace in prayer and the word, but my mind feels so cluttered and I’m so tired. Any advice?

1. Sasha says:

Hi HH,
          A breakup can be so very difficult! You will get tons of advice during this next season, but you really have to go at your own pace of healing. Some things that helped me, where specific prayers that God would change my thoughts and feelings towards my ex, so that I could heal and not stay stuck. It takes time! Give yourself grace:) I also saw something online that said, “With every day of no contact you heal”, and that right there is so true, and has helped me a TON!

2. Amanda says:

Just remember that God’s plan for you is always best. He knows you and your heart better than even you do. Now that I’m married, I look back on past relationships and am SO thankful that God had a different plan for me. They were great guys, but not my future husband, and I couldn’t imagine being married to anyone else. So whether this guy is not the right guy, or he’s the right guy, but it’s not the right time yet, either way His plan is always better than you imagine!

6. Candace Steele says:

This I totally relate to. Three weeks ago I gave birth to my first child. The joy I thought would come with that and maternity leave is not there. I see that joy in my husband as he loves on our son. This devotional hit me that what I am missing, why my joy is lacking is because if my lack of time with the Lord – a lack of reading his word, journaling about his word an my life, and prayer.

7. Colleen Moody says:

He is enough. In this season of being in the valley with illness and uncertainty, HE IS ENOUGH.