Not Ashamed of the Gospel

from the 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus reading plan

2 Timothy 1:1-18, 2 Corinthians 3:4-6, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 1:1-18, 2 Corinthians 3:4-6, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22

The exact details of the story have faded in my memory. I’m not sure where I heard it or the name of the man at the center of the narrative. I don’t need to know his name to want to be just like him.

His story goes something like this…

Christians were gathered in a home church in a country where worshiping Jesus was strictly forbidden. Authorities raided the home, forcing the terrified worshipers to lie on the floor, then brutally beat anyone who dared to resist. Despite this violence, they could not stop the man; he was determined to rise.

Over and over, he simply stood up silently, squared his shoulders, and looked his attackers in the eye. He was beaten back down each time only to rise to his feet again. He did not fight. He did not argue. He simply stood, no matter how bloody and bruised he became. Eventually, his attackers relented. Like Paul’s words to Timothy—penned despite imprisonments, beatings, abandonments, and trials—this man’s faith could not be shaken. He would not be kept down.

I may never face the butt of a gun as a result of my faith in Jesus. I may never know Paul’s fate of repeated imprisonment for declaring the gospel. The stakes may not look as dramatic, but we all know how it feels to be beaten down in some way or another. We feel the pressure to play it safe and be quiet about Jesus. But we cannot. Over and over and over, we must continue to rise. We must.

Paul’s powerful words echo throughout time, to the Church in every era. Whatever obstacles we face in culture or in the parthenon of public opinion, whatever makes our knees buckle, whatever threatens to silence us, or makes us want to simply lay low—when we weigh them against the heavy weight of the gospel, the scales are easily tipped.

We must speak out.
We must live boldly.
We must rise.

Fear cannot become our default. Let us remind each other often that we are a people uniquely armed with power and love and self-control (2 Timothy 1:7). Through the silent testimony of our sold-out lives and words seasoned with grace, we must declare, “But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me” (v. 12).

What inspired Paul to declare the gospel so boldly? He refused to forget the stench of the prison of sin he had been delivered from. Every other cell smelled like freedom. He remembered how it felt to be buried by the weight of his own sin, but through Jesus, he had been invited to rise and walk a new life.

Paul’s declaration to Timothy, and our declaration to each other is this: I am not ashamed of the gospel, because the gospel is not ashamed of me. Church, we do not deserve such extravagant grace. We are a ragamuffin bunch called to reach the world with radical truth.

There will always be opposition. Even so, let us rise.

SRT-TimothyTitus-Shareimage-Day10

Erin Davis is an author, blogger, and speaker who loves to see women of all ages run to the deep well of God’s Word. When she’s not writing, you can find Erin chasing chickens and children on her small farm in the Midwest.

51 thoughts on "Not Ashamed of the Gospel"

1. Emily McGhee says:

This word is powerful! Inspired to pray for my family and loved ones today.

Lord God,

I bind Satan in Jesus name from letting them think it is anything they can do on there own, or that they aren’t good enough. Fill them with your joy, your love, your light, and your love. Give us the boldness we need to be used by you. Thank you Lord that your Word is a promise and that by faith we can move mountains in your Name. Amen.

2. Marli Neel says:

That 2 Cor passage strike a chord deep in me. Lately I’ve been cringing when I hear the phrase “ I am enough”. I see it on cute plaques, mugs, t-shirts etc. this seems to be spreading like wild fire among my fellow sister in Christ. But we read in His word that we aren’t enough. 2 Cor 3 makes this abundantly clear that our reliance is in Christ alone. That we are nothing and he is our sufficiency. We are not enough. If we were enough then what was the cross for? Coming the the full understanding of the weight of my sin and just how it enough I am brings me to a place of deeper appreciation and worship of our great merciful God. How He would give His son as the propitiation of our sin bc He knew we would never be enough. That we would be like dogs returning to our vomit. Sisters , this make me want to share my faith and sing from a mountain top- not cower down and feel sorry for myself that I am “not enough” but song for joy bc He stood in my place so that my not-enough-ness would be made clean and white as snow. So all glory to God most high that He is enough.

1. Sarah Jalomo says:

AMEN!!!!! ❤️

3. Courtney Moyer says:

THIS IS FREEING: I am only capable of planting seeds, God is the only one who can make it grow. The one who plants and the one who waters have the same purpose, working together for God.

“playing it safe and being quite about Jesus, ” only bypasses our opportunities to experience God while we hand the seeds to another person. God doesn’t” need” us to do the work but from His heart of love He wants us to join Him. Live boldly and speak out then experience God’s guard for what He has entrusted to you.

4. Denise Powers Fabian says:

Overt punishment or persecution is easy to detect but I fear we, as Christians, have been pressured from speaking the truth because of the gospel of political correctness, a much more subtle stifling of the Good News. We hosted several Ukrainian Christians in the early 90s as Communism fell and religious persecution by the Communist government disappeared. The Christians from Ukraine spoke of they weren’t necessarily happy about that as they believed that persecution kept the Church pure, making them even more effective.

1. Karen says:

Interesting perspective Denise. I think political correctness may have become our persecutor here in the states. I know it often stops me from expressing my faith especially when at work. I think in any kind of persecution we must remember that God is faithful and will give us the words to say and the power to do His work in the world.

5. Martintal says:

Hi All im noob here. Good post! Thx! Thx!

6. Beatrice says:

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but today’s reason on the study book is 2 Tim 1:1-18, yet the blog has it as 2 Tim 2:1-18!

1. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Beatrice, sorry for the confusion! The reading is 2 Timothy 1:1-18. Hope that helps! -Margot, The SRT Team

7. Sabrina Michelle says:

Oh my goodness, today’s reading has me in tears of gratefulness! I admire the Apostle Paul so much, I am not ashamed of the gospel because the gospel is not ashamed of me. Rich!!