Good Friday

Mark 15:1-47, Isaiah 52:13-15; Isaiah 53:1-7

BY Rebecca Faires

Scripture Reading: Mark 15:1-47, Isaiah 52:13-15; Isaiah 53:1-7

The route to a place you’ve never been is always longest the first time. Christ’s journey to the cross was a first. For the Creator of the universe, death was the one place He hadn’t been. The Bible gives us a slowed-down account of His last few hours, allowing us to watch how God acts as He walks toward death.

Jesus spoke very few recorded words in the hours leading to His crucifixion. His silences stand in contrast to the clamouring of the crowds, the indictments of the priests, and shouts of His accusers. In the face of unjust denunciations and undeserved mockery, wouldn’t an ordinary person rise to their own defense and use reason and truth to set the record straight? Isn’t history filled with stories of men and women who stood to give articulate, impassioned defenses for themselves? Isn’t a clear defense the only way to save yourself?

Then why did Jesus stay so silent the day He was crucified? Jesus’ responses on Good Friday are so shocking. He doesn’t defend Himself. The mockers even jeered at Him, saying, “‘He saved others, but he cannot save himself! He is the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him’” (Matthew 27:42).

Indeed, as they led Him out to the cross, He went meekly, like a lamb to the slaughter (Isaiah 53:7). They falsely accused Him, and yet He uttered not a word. It is funny how we so easily confuse the signs of weakness and the signs of strength.

Gentleness and meekness confuse us, because our hearts are naturally driven to clamor and strive, making a lot of noise in the process. We are stupid and boisterous by nature, making much of all the wrong things, slow to lovingkindness, and abounding in anger. Maybe in the end, what we don’t understand is the humility of obedience—obedience even to the point of death. Instead, we are intent upon asserting ourselves at all costs. The last thing we want is for anyone to step on our selfish toes. And so obedience, totally selfless obedience, is confounding to us. It looks like weakness, like foolishness, and our hearts mock it.

But he was pierced because of our transgressions,
crushed because of our iniquities;
punishment for our peace was on him,
and we are healed by his wounds.
—Isaiah 53:5

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day47

41 thoughts on "Good Friday"

1. Sherree Hunsberger says:

Because God could not look at sin and Christ became sin. I feel The most difficult time for Jesus was when He became sin for us and the Father had to look away from His Son—-THE PERFECT SACRIFICE.

2. Natalie Mann says:

Thanks so much for this Rebecca. Our Savior is

3. Denise Powers Fabian says:

Once for all…such a contrast to the tedious task in Exodus.

4. Peony Noirr says:

❤️

5. Mari says:

As I sit outside of my hotel room gazing at the beautiful landscape, ( which is actually a cemetery) cute little birds and looking to see if I see any deer as we did yesterday and read Isaiah’s account of the crucifixion that OUR Jesus was so disfigured beyond recognition my heart aches. HE did this for YOU and ME!! For that I am thankful.

6. Lauren Mayfield says:

Today I was impressed by the idea of false messiahs. Barabbas, a name meaning son of the father and a political rebel looked more appealing to the Israelites that day. One who would overthrow the government. Then the golden calf in the wilderness. Here’s something that will save us, here is something we can worship. Even Pharaoh, a false god who at least kept us well fed. Or the temple with its veil torn in two. Perhaps our offerings will save us. But on this day, there was the true messiah on the cross. Broken and despised. I wonder how often we look to the wrong things to save us when all we should be doing is looking to Him.

1. Liz C says:

Thank you Lauren. Your final comment really gave me pause and a lot to think about as I wonder how often I’m looking in the wrong direction as well.

7. Kari Glemaker says:

Today I feel like I have had to read and re-read this multiple times. Absolutely overwhelming. My favorite part by Rebecca was the last two sentences—We are, left to ourselves, everything we should not be. He is, even as all the world railed against Him, even as He walked straight into death for the first and final time, all that we need.

8. Jaelyn Hamilton says:

Jesus is unbelievably amazing. Who He is and His love and His actions during His final moments amaze me and fill me heart. I want to be like Him. Gentleness and meekness. They are not weaknesses! Especially the way Jesus portrayed them. I long to be gentle and meek so that the Lord can be the one who shouts through me. I want to give Jesus the biggest hug possible right now