Good Friday

Mark 15:1-47, Isaiah 52:13-15; Isaiah 53:1-7

BY Rebecca Faires

Scripture Reading: Mark 15:1-47, Isaiah 52:13-15; Isaiah 53:1-7

The route to a place you’ve never been is always longest the first time. Christ’s journey to the cross was a first. For the Creator of the universe, death was the one place He hadn’t been. The Bible gives us a slowed-down account of His last few hours, allowing us to watch how God acts as He walks toward death.

Jesus spoke very few recorded words in the hours leading to His crucifixion. His silences stand in contrast to the clamouring of the crowds, the indictments of the priests, and shouts of His accusers. In the face of unjust denunciations and undeserved mockery, wouldn’t an ordinary person rise to their own defense and use reason and truth to set the record straight? Isn’t history filled with stories of men and women who stood to give articulate, impassioned defenses for themselves? Isn’t a clear defense the only way to save yourself?

Then why did Jesus stay so silent the day He was crucified? Jesus’ responses on Good Friday are so shocking. He doesn’t defend Himself. The mockers even jeered at Him, saying, “‘He saved others, but he cannot save himself! He is the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him’” (Matthew 27:42).

Indeed, as they led Him out to the cross, He went meekly, like a lamb to the slaughter (Isaiah 53:7). They falsely accused Him, and yet He uttered not a word. It is funny how we so easily confuse the signs of weakness and the signs of strength.

Gentleness and meekness confuse us, because our hearts are naturally driven to clamor and strive, making a lot of noise in the process. We are stupid and boisterous by nature, making much of all the wrong things, slow to lovingkindness, and abounding in anger. Maybe in the end, what we don’t understand is the humility of obedience—obedience even to the point of death. Instead, we are intent upon asserting ourselves at all costs. The last thing we want is for anyone to step on our selfish toes. And so obedience, totally selfless obedience, is confounding to us. It looks like weakness, like foolishness, and our hearts mock it.

We are, left to ourselves, everything we should not be. He is, even as all the world railed against Him, even as He walked straight into death for the first and final time, all that we need.

But he was pierced because of our transgressions,
crushed because of our iniquities;
punishment for our peace was on him,
and we are healed by his wounds.
—Isaiah 53:5

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day47

41 thoughts on "Good Friday"

1. Rochelle Holman says:

I am undone when I read “His appearance was so disfigured that He did not look like a man, and His form did not resemble a human being…” And yet “He was pierced because of OUR TRANSGRESSIONS, crushed because of OUR INQUITIES,; punishment for OUR PEACE was on Him” and yet “WE are healed…” Thank you thank you Jesus. Forgive us.

1. Laura says:

Beautifully said! Thank you.

2. Lizzieb85 says:

A lamb goes to slaughter meekly because it has no idea what’s going to happen to it. Jesus went meekly knowing exactly what was going to happen, & He still went in obedience & love.

3. Pam White says:

“The humility of obedience.” This is one of my personal struggles. I tend to go in kicking and screaming, much like a toddler who doesn’t want to leave a place of comfort or joy. Lord, please forgive me for being stubborn. Please quell my defiant nature and help me put on the humility of obedience.

4. Sarah D. says:

Sometimes holidays like Christmas or Easter roll through quickly and I forget to take time to actually think about the events that happened. The Christmas and Easter story becomes repetitive and I don’t pause and reflect. I pray that I will never lose my wonder of the manger and the cross. Never lose the wonder that a perfect God would come down, into this broken world, pitch his tent in my backyard, and say, “I will gladly die for you, so that the veil between us may be torn”. Even when I turn from him. Even when I deny him. Even when I forget his promises. He still bore my sin and shame. The story of the victim ended at the cross, and the story of the Victor began in the empty tomb (said by Louie Giglio). I pray we may never lose our wonder for the amazing grace and love of our Jesus! Mike Donehey from Tenth Avenue North said, “Good Friday was the worst Friday…until Sunday.” Thank you Lord for fulfilling your promises.

1. Bukky says:

@Sarah D.
      Such a powerful statement, not to let the Easter story become mundane and another holiday to buy Easter eggs and bunnies. Rather, to reflect at the essence of the magnitude of what Christ did on Calvary. Because he died and lives on, I CAN FACE TOMORROW knowing that I’m forgiven even before I sin.

5. ~ B ~ says:

Christ’s silence was deafening as He walked out, heavy step by heavy step, His love over us. One foot in front of the other, as each step became weightier, He silently welcomed pain, He silently accepted what appeared to be defeat, He silently chose death. And with each excruciating breath on the cross, He took in the sin of the world, each salty drop of sweat from his brow rolling across His blood stained cheeks offering its silent plea to Heaven for Mercy for us, dropping hard and loud on the dry ground below. His body trembling from the pain until He could suffer no longer and His spirit was unencumbered. Today I focus on His sacrifice, His unbelievable love of us and I pray, that with each of my own steps today I remember the weight of immeasurable pain and His silent yet thunderous actions of preposterous grace.

1. Julie says:

I’m truly taking in this somber description. Words cannot describe how this impacted me. Thank you for writing this.

2. Heather N (MNmomma) says:

Oh man B….your words, your description has the tears flowing…..oh what love He has for us…

3. Pam says:

One of our church’s worship leaders sings Via Dolorosa at our Good Friday service every year. I just stand there and sob from the first note. Your description here very much reminds me of that song. I’m sitting here sobbing in awe and wonder for the grace of it all. Thank you for sharing this.

4. Cecilia says:

Thank you for your words today, B. Xo

6. Kristi L says:

On the app, it only shows Isaiah 53:1, but on the site it says Isaiah 53:1-7 in case anyone is wondering.

1. Lizzieb85 says:

I would add the whole of Isaiah 53 is worth reading today.

2. She Reads Truth says:

We’re so sorry for that confusion Kristi. Thanks for letting us know! -Margot, The SRT Team

7. Kendra Boehning says:

8. Erin Vallez says:

The Good in Good Friday is such a mediocre word for the greatness of God. I’m undone this morning. I have spent these last moments just overwhelmed with gratitude for our fathers love. The excruciating pain that Jesus endured makes me want to be a better disciple of the Lord, wife, mother, daughter, friend. I can’t help but think that in his crying out, that the father would send someone else…something else as the sacrifice for our sins. I beg for forgiveness for shortcomings he already knows I’m gonna make. I am so unworthy of this crucifixion. I fall short every single day. I want to be faithful to God just as Jesus was to his father’s will for him.