Thursday: The Last Supper

John 16:16-24, John 16:32-33, Mark 14:12-72, Psalm 41:7-13, Zechariah 13:7

BY Andrea Lucado

Scripture Reading: John 16:16-24, John 16:32-33, Mark 14:12-72, Psalm 41:7-13, Zechariah 13:7

Of all the betrayals of Jesus, Peter’s is the hardest for me to stomach. Peter, the one who was first to claim Jesus as the Messiah. Peter, who got out of the boat to walk on water to meet his Savior. Then, after all they had been through, it is Peter who denies he ever knew Christ. One minute Christ is his Messiah, and the next? Someone he didn’t want to be associated with.

I’ll never forget the deep shame I felt when I did something similar to a friend in college. To her face, I acted as if she were my best friend. But behind her back, I said something to the contrary. She heard about it. I heard that she heard about it. And then I was sick.

This is why Peter’s story is so difficult for me to stomach. I see a lot of myself in it. Not only in the way I’ve denied friends, but the times I’ve denied Christ too. Proclaiming Him as my Savior one minute, acting as if I don’t even know Him the next. Peter denied Christ three times, but I’ve denied Him countless times.

Jesus was not surprised—not by Peter’s denial, nor by mine. In fact, He predicted it during the Last Supper. Quoting the prophet Zechariah, He said, “All of you will run away, because it is written: ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’ But after I have been resurrected, I will go ahead of you to Galilee” (Mark 14:27-28).

After He says this, who pipes up first? Peter, that’s who, declaring, “Even if everyone runs away, I will certainly not!” (v. 29). But just a few verses later, Peter is shocked at his own hypocrisy. “And he broke down and wept” (v. 72).

Jesus also predicted Peter’s behavior, as well as Peter’s response to that behavior, when He said, “You will become sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn to joy” (John 16:20). How? How could Peter’s weeping ever turn to joy? Even though he would see the risen Christ, wouldn’t that only bring him further shame?

Perhaps Peter experienced what I experienced with my friend in college. I dreaded facing her again. When I did, eyes to the floor, I apologized. She had all the power in that moment. She could have hurt me right back or told everyone how two-faced I was. But she didn’t. Instead, she looked at me and said, “It’s water under the bridge.” She forgave me. I will never forget that moment of undeserved mercy.

Undeserved mercy is what Peter received from Jesus. At the end of Mark, when the angel tells Mary Magdalene the good news of the resurrection, the angel also says, “Go, tell the disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you to Galilee; you will see him there just as he told you’” (Mark 16:7). The disciples and Peter. Jesus calls him by name. Peter is still invited to meet the risen Christ.

In our times of sorrow, in the depths of sin, when facing the reality of our own hypocrisy, when joy feels absurd, reserved for someone who is “better” than we are—this is the story we ought to remember. We can have joy, not because of who we are or what we have done, but because we are still invited to meet the risen Christ.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day46

52 thoughts on "Thursday: The Last Supper"

1. Carissa Burns says:

reading this blessed me!! thanks so much for sharing!
    Zeph. 3:17

2. Kerry Terry says:

I am so grateful. Grateful for the grace and new mercies every day. May I be more like Jesus daily.

3. Deborah Craytor says:

I just read this about Peter’s actions in Warren Wiersbe’s commentary on Hosea: “[W]hen Peter denied his Lord three times, that sin didn’t suddenly
    appear; it was the result of gradual spiritual deterioration. The denial began with
    Peter’s pride, when he told the Lord he would never forsake Him and would even
    die for Him. The next stage was sleeping when he should have been praying, and
    then fighting when he should have put away his sword. Peter should have left the
    scene (“I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered
    abroad” [Matt. 26:31; Zech. 13:7]); but instead, he followed to see what would hap-
    pen and walked right into temptation.”

That’s an interesting way to look at it, isn’t it? I would have thought that Peter’s statement that he would not forsake Jesus, and would even die for Him, was a good thing, not evidence of sinful pride.

1. Julie says:

This is interesting seeing it broken down this way. It is something that could easily be missed. Thank you for sharing. Which Warren Wiersbe’s commentary do you have?

4. Miranda Rector says:

I just love how even in the darkest of times, Jesus is so merciful and forgiving! I know that I have felt like Peter so many times, so sure of myself but when the moment comes I am weak and I give in to doubt, shame, pressure to fit in, not be judged, avoid failure and judgment, etc. This is a reminder that Jesus knows are weakness before even we do and he is prepared to forgive us in even our lowest points when we admit that we need Him.

5. Megan says:

Ladies I would so greatly appreciate prayers tonight.

1. Pamela says:

Lifting you in prayer.

2. Carissa Burns says:

Zeph. 3:17, Psalm 139:14

I hope your night is much better than expected, and that you remember how loved you are!

6. Kate Wells says:

Oh wow! It’s amazing to read this with the context provided and see details that I’ve missed and glossed over so many times. And he called Peter by name! I was just reading “beautiful outlaw” by John Eldridge and he mentions the relationship and mercy between Jesus and Peter. When he appears while they are fishing and Peter recognizes him for the first time he is so overjoyed to see him that he jumps off the boat clothed and swims 100 or so yards to the shore. I’m sure to greet him with a big wet hug. The love and mercy of Christ is simply beautiful and his ability to accept his disciples (and us) just as we are is an absolute inspiration. Thank you Jesus for calling us all by name!

1. Carissa Burns says:

Wow this comment blessed me!! so glad you shared!
      Zeph. 3:17

7. Phy says:

another great study. I feel like this can hit home for most but the shame we feel can be overcome by his Grace. His undeserved love!

8. Dee says:

WOW this was a powerful message and written with such transparency and chilling truth.