The Glory of the Lord Fills the Tabernacle

Exodus 40:1-38, Matthew 3:16-17, Acts 2:1-4

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Exodus 40:1-38, Matthew 3:16-17, Acts 2:1-4

Imagine belting out a Beyoncé song at karaoke night when the “queen” herself walks in the room. I read about this happening to some of B’s fans several years ago. Apparently, when Beyoncé heard two ladies singing her song in the booth next-door, she decided to join them. I think I would have died.

Our culture is obsessed with celebrities. I would say I care less about famous people than most, but I still get excited if I see a fancy person in the airport. There is something about how untouchable they seem that makes us commoners lose our minds in their presence. But if we get tongue-tied around a successful singer, imagine how awe-struck would we be in the presence of the God of the universe. The thing is, God does show up to the party throughout history. The Lord loves to be with the people He created.

From the very beginning, God made a world in which He dwelt with His people. That was His original design. God walked in the garden with Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:8). But the fall of mankind fractured that fellowship, and a perfect God could not commune with imperfect people.

God devised a sanctuary so He could be near the people He loved.  As soon as the tabernacle of Israel was completed, the glory of the Lord rushed in (Exodus 40:34).

It would have been incredible for the Israelites to see the cloud over the tent of meeting and know their God was with them. They moved when God moved and rested when God rested, in a harmony they’d never experienced before. But of course it didn’t last; broken people always find a way of breaking intimacy with God.

The Father had no intention of giving up on His children. He sent His Son to dwell with them in flesh and blood. Again we destroyed the sanctuary of God’s presence. Yet, despite our failings, God had a greater plan all along: resurrection.

As we look toward the Easter resurrection, we prepare to celebrate God’s great act of restoring fellowship with Him. Though we are far from worthy and have broken relationship with Him at every turn, the Lord in His grace set things right. The Bible is a story of God’s commitment to save the people He loves. Through the resurrection of Christ, we will one day be raised to finally dwell in the full glory of God (Revelation 21:3).

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day40

Kaitie Stoddard is a professional counselor who recently relocated from Chicago to Colorado with her husband. She has her Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and is passionate about helping couples and families find healing in their relationships. On any given weekend you’re likely to find Katie snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains, checking out new restaurants with friends, or catching up on her favorite Netflix and podcast series.

59 thoughts on "The Glory of the Lord Fills the Tabernacle"

1. Lisa Russi says:

I am reading this a year later. I love how the tabernacle is tied into the Christ so beautifully.

1. Jane Kaefer says:

I am also reading this a year later and a few days behind. I enjoy reading the comments to get insight I may have missed. Happy to see I am not alone as I read. I just found SRT, and I am loving it!

2. Pamela Strommen says:

God is specific when he calls his people and gives them their jobs. Moses did not feel equipped, but that was the point…he had to depend on God to equip him as he started the Israelites Exodus. Then, fast-forward a couple years to the moment the Tabernacle is finished – the crowning glory of Moses’ work. We know that is not Moses’ work, but it could have seemed like it to him. I mean, Moses is the one who personally received all the instructions and lead the people, right? But, the moment God’s presence filled the Tent off Meeting, Moses COULD NOT ENTER. Wow! It was only the place for the anointed priest.
    I must say, it is pretty humbling. I am wondering if Moses felt humbled.
    God doesn’t call on us to do it all…he uses the whole body (church).

3. Sabrina Michelle says:

❤️❤️❤️

4. Abby Harvey says:

I’ve never made the connection between the glory of God rushing into the tabernacle, the Holy Spirit rushing into Jesus at his baptism, and the Spirit rushing into the believers in Acts. The big picture of the story of God’s redemption is breathtaking!! And we only get a tiny understanding of it in our finite minds. Wow.

5. Jessica McCreary says:

❤️❤️❤️

6. Kerry Terry says:

Something amazing happens whenever God comes near. I catch my breath and let out a long, heavy sigh and hang my head when I think about all the times He reaches out for me, for His children. I am grateful. Deeply. My husband and I have a child who has continually, and currently, broken the connection, the relationship with us. We long to have a strong and loving relationship with her. It is hard to continue to reach out. I/we can only hope and pray that we become like God and continue to reach out to her. Pray continually that our Father makes us more like Him every day.

1. Grace says:

Praying for you and your family!

7. Heather N says:

I think it’s amazing that God’s spirit was seen on the tabernacle, then seen when Jesus was baptized then seen as flames on the day of Pentecost and THEN that same spirit filled believers. We have that same spirit in is that existed thousands of years ago. Wow. Thank you Jesus for your sacrifice.