Making the Ark

Exodus 37:1-29, Jeremiah 1:11-12, Revelation 1:12-20

BY Andrea Lucado

Scripture Reading: Exodus 37:1-29, Jeremiah 1:11-12, Revelation 1:12-20

I lived in England for a year after college. Before I moved there, I did not fully understand that an English winter involved very little sunlight. The sun rose late and was completely gone by 4 p.m. This was incredibly disheartening for a girl raised in the sunny desert of South Texas. I remember feeling as if winter would never end.

In Exodus 37, the careful crafting of the lampstand, and the ark with its mercy seat, gave the Israelites hope for the light that was to come. Fashioned from a solid piece of gold, the stem and six branches of the lampstand held seven perpetually burning flames that not only illuminated the holy place of the tabernacle, but also flickered in anticipation of the coming light of Christ.

Darkness to light, darkness to light. This is the cycle we see in nature, and this is the cycle we see throughout the narrative of Scripture. This is why the ever-burning light from the lampstand was so critical.

For the disciples, the days after Jesus’ death must have felt like a winter that would never end. Three days of confusion and despair. Their rabbi, their friend, their Savior, had died.

Although I know the end of this story and the hope that Christ’s resurrection would bring in three days’ time, I still feel the weight of darkness on a daily basis. I still feel like this life has more winters than it does summers. For this reason, I need to remember the words that Jesus said to John in the book of Revelation:

“I am the First and the Last, the Living One. I was dead, but look—I am alive forever and ever…”
– Revelation 1:17-18

Something else I didn’t know about England was that what winter lacked in light, summer made up for tenfold. In summer, the sun rose early and didn’t fully set until 10 p.m. People stayed out later, and walked in the parks more often, their coats left hanging on their hooks. A warmth gripped the city that thawed any remnant of winter.

I wonder if this is what it felt like when the disciples saw Jesus alive. How quickly their winter must have turned to summer, their despair to hope, their sadness to joy. This is what the light of Christ did for the disciples. This is what it does for us in our daily lives, and this is what it will do when Christ comes again.

The promise Jesus gave John in Revelation also came with an instruction: “Therefore, write what you have seen, what is, and what will take place after this” (v. 19). Until Christ comes again, the Church has taken on the responsibility of the lampstand. We don’t sit and wait idly for Christ to return. We are the flame that continues to burn. How will we take up the charge? How will we tell others of what we have seen? How will we tell them of what is, and what is to come?

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day37

67 thoughts on "Making the Ark"

1. Anne says:

I was reminded of this powerful song by Andrew Peterson: “Is He Worthy?”
    May it be a blessing to someone else who needs to be reminded of our hope in this dark world…

1. Kim says:

This song was absolutely touching. I loved it and it added so much to my prayer time tonight!

2. Leslie Warnick says:

Great song. Thank you for sharing

2. Leonor says:

This is just so beautiful — God’s word is phenomenal! Where can I get more insight on the almond branch/blossoms? Also, is there a trustworthy website with images of all that was was designed as instructed by God?

1. Dorothy says:

You might try a religious book store, sometimes they have different books with how items looked and were in Bible times. Some Bibles might even have them. Hope this helped.

1. Kathy says:

Rose Publishing has awesome resources for the tabernacle and such.

2. Leonor says:

Thank you.

1. Leonor says:

Thank you. I just re-downloaded the app.

2. ROBIN says:

I have a blooming almond bush in my yard- I am picturing the arc like the bush in my yard- it is my favorite flower. The almond tree flower is a little different- looks a bit like a lily.

3. Chris says:

Would all of you please pray for our Supreme Court today as they hear and make a life changing decision supporting our churches and our pregnancy centers. In a nut shell the pro choice agenda wants us to be required to post abortion facilities information in our centers and our churches!! Thanks.

1. AliceV says:

Yes! Praying for a life affirming decision today.

4. Mari says:

I’ve been in a season of winter for many months now. There’s been some really wonderful sunshine days in between. It’s only because of my surrendering to Jesus that I’m finally letting my voice be heard! I too wait for spring especially summer. It’s during these winter months I’ve also grown and is only because of Christ alone. Many of my close friends remind me that I am not the same person they met six months ago. It has to be Jesus. Still facing many challenges and waiting for answers your prayers are appreciated. Meanwhile I’m going to enjoy the victory Christ has done in my life. God is good all the time and all the time God is good

1. She Reads Truth says:

We’re praying for you Mari and are so glad that you’re here! -Margot, The SRT Team

2. Dorothy says:

Mari you will find that if you give God all your cares and troubles as well as all praises and glories that you will feel free and unburdened. You will stray, I proclaimed Christ as my Savior when I was 12 and I am 59, I have strayed many times. I have questioned Him many times, especially when my oldest son died (my son was a believer and said something about being a minister), but no matter how far I strayed or how much I questioned when I came back He had open arms and an open heart. You have a good support system in She Reads Truth sisters. I will be praying for you.

5. Phylicia says:

prayers for yourself and family! god be with you all.

6. Brittany White says:

This is so beautiful to me, especially in this season. My 34 year old sister + best friend (she’s also a wife, mom, daughter, cherished friend and beloved teacher) has terminal cancer and we only have a handful of days left with her this side of heaven. Easter always wrecks me. I am wrecked by Jesus and what He did for us on the cross. But this year, I am even more wrecked and ever more grateful that he beat back darkness, sin and death forever. We are so so heartbroken. Devastated. Numb. But. But!!! Because of Jesus and the cross, death does not have the final word. Light wins!! Hallelujah.

1. Heather N (MNmomma) says:

Praying for your and your family during this time…..may you feel His presence with you as your sister makes her way Home….

1. AliceV says:

Having lost my own beloved sister to cancer several years ago, I understand feeling heartbroken, devastated, and numb, as I had those same feelings. I am praying for you and your family during this most difficult of times and asking that God’s mercy and loving kindness be evident to you. I look forward to seeing my sister again one day and am grateful that you have that joyful reality as well. May God be with you with all.

2. Kara says:

Praying for you and your sister. May God hold you close.

3. Heidi V says:

Hallelujah! Light wins! Praying for you.

4. Alexis says:

Praying for you and your family Brittany! May you know that Jesus is with you while your sister makes her trip home.

5. Mari says:

Praying for you Brittany. And remember this isn’t goodbye. It’s “see you later”. Because of Christ that is the hope that we have.

6. She Reads Truth says:

We’re so sorry to hear that Brittany. We’re praying for you and your family during this time. So grateful that you’re here! -Margot, The SRT Team

7. Beth R. says:

Hello, I’m new to this site, but I felt I needed to respond. I just recently lost my own sister in the same way last July. Unimaginable sorrow at first; I had to call on the Lord to keep me from drowning in it. But it has eased now and I rejoice that she is with our Lord in her new healthy body. Something that helped me was the Sweet Blessings website. The author, Shannon, provides Bible verse writing plans. Her grief plan was wonderful for me during the last weeks and afterwards. Praying for you!

7. Melissa Dean says:

I am in a season of darkness. But I will take hope because the season will end as the Light has surely triumphs over the Darkness.

1. Alexis says:

Amen! Hope will come; light always wins <3

2. Helen Pollard says:

Praying for you that the light breaks through soon.

3. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Melissa, we’re praying for you and are so glad that you’re here! -Margot, The SRT Team

8. Churchmouse says:

Kelly, be kind to yourself. There is such catharsis in shedding heartfelt tears. We know our Lord values our tears – He even keeps them in a bottle. He sees. He knows. He cares. Praying you will release the need to be the strong one. Climb on to His lap and just let Him love on you.

1. Kelly Chataine says:

Certainly trying to do all of that and remember God’s love for me. I ache for physical assurance and audible understanding. So, I am trying to recite scripture out loud.