The Lord’s Glory

Exodus 33:1-23, Genesis 3:8-10, Numbers 6:22-26

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Exodus 33:1-23, Genesis 3:8-10, Numbers 6:22-26

What is your Promised Land? We all have one deep inside us. The roadmap of our hearts leads us there, to the place where our treasure is found—the place where our hope, wonder, and worship reside.

God had promised to rescue the Israelites from slavery in Egypt and bring them to a new home, a land of freedom and abundance. But His bigger promise was this: He would bring them back into relationship with Him, back into His presence. He would dwell among the Israelites and be their God (Exodus 29:45-46).

But God’s people put all of that in jeopardy by building the golden calf and inciting God’s anger with their idol worship. They were set to experience separation from Him again. Yes, He would still bring them into the Promised Land, but He would not accompany them there (Exodus 33:1-3).

Because of their sin, Israel could not be in God’s presence—but Moses could. The Lord spoke to Moses “face to face, as one speaks to a friend” (v.11). And so on behalf of the Israelites, Moses pleaded with God to reconsider:

“If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?” (vv. 15-16).

Moses knew what was really at stake for the Israelites: the true Promised Land, God Himself. Moses knew that God was not merely a means to an end, not just the path to blessing. God is the blessing. God’s presence was the very identity of His people. If He wasn’t in the new land, then there was no point in going. Without Him, there would be no real blessing, no peace, no rest.

So what does your Promised Land look like?

Mine looks like a land of abundant provision, free from shame and fear, melancholy, sickness, and loneliness. But Scripture tells me all of these needs and more are met now, in Jesus, though He is far more than a means to an end. He is Alpha and Omega, beginning and end—and everything in between (Revelation 22:13).

He doesn’t just provide. He is our provision (Genesis 22:14).
He doesn’t just make us righteous. He is our righteousness (Jeremiah 23:6).
He doesn’t just give us a peace. He is our peace (Judges 6:24; Hebrews 13:20).
He doesn’t just heal us. He is our healing (Exodus 15:26).

And if we know Jesus, we are never truly alone. He is always with us (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23). His promise to each of us is this: “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest” (Exodus 33:14).

It’s in His attributes that God reveals more of Himself to us—more of His character, His nature, and His heart. Like Moses, we can boldly ask to know more of God, to see more of His glory. This is why God delivered the Israelites, and it’s why He sent His Son to deliver us. God came near so we could truly know Him and never be separated from His presence again.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day31

Kara Gause is an editor for She Reads Truth happily residing in Nashville, Tennessee. She’s married to one swell fella and mother to a set of delightfully spirited twin girls. Sunsets and snow cones are near and dear to her heart, as is anything or anyone who reminds her of God’s goodness.

70 thoughts on "The Lord’s Glory"

1. Karen says:

It is so comforting to know that God IS our provision, our righteousness, our peace, and our healing. Thank you Jesus!

2. Sherree Hunsberger says:

Today, I needed to just “REST IN HIM”. What a beautiful lesson. I can feel God’s love through your words in this devotion.

3. nursedodie says:

Today’s posts and study were very meaningful to me. Friday the administrators of where I was working terminated my contract due to something that I forgot to chart, If any of you remember I had asked in a previous post to pray whether I should stay for another contract, I guess this is God’s way of answering my prayers.

1. Kari says:

Thank you for the update! So many prayers for you in what I am sure is a difficult time. Praying for God’s comfort and guidance as you move forward.

2. She Reads Truth says:

Thanks for the update, we’re continuing to pray for you! -Margot, The SRT Team

4. Denise Powers Fabian says:

This made me cry…as I am in some real spiritual battle. I am secure in my salvation, but I know that Satan continues to flaunt these idols before me as a means of making my own Promised Land, but without God’s presence and peace, it is meaningless. Yet, I am still tempted. I need the rescue of grace desperately over these next few days. Christ needs to be all I cling to.

1. Emily says:

Praying for you. Grace that covers everything. Light in the darkness. Pieces of hope. All of Jesus.

2. She Reads Truth says:

We’re praying for you Denise and are so grateful that you’re here. -Margot, The SRT Team

3. Victoria Velez says:

Praying for you Denise that you run to Jesus’ open arms especially during times of doubt. He is always there with open arms.

5. Kristi L says:

I came across this blog post today from Sharon Hodde Miller, who is a regular contributor to She Reads Truth. I thought it tied in so well with today’s devotional, so if you have a minute to spare, I would highly recommend reading it!

1. Karen says:

Thank you Kristi, I read the blog you attached and it was really good and complimentary to today’s study!

6. Michelle says:

I am so enjoying this study! Thank you!

7. Peony Noirr says:

So grateful for this lesson.

8. Patty K says:

I love this community and reading all of these prayers. They echo the prayers in my heart. A heartfelt thank you! God bless each of you!