The Skilled Workers

Exodus 31:1-18, Jeremiah 31:31-34, 2 Corinthians 3:1-3

BY Guest Writer

Exodus 31:1-18, Jeremiah 31:31-34, 2 Corinthians 3:1-3

The thick wooden needles click as I methodically run the silvery blue yarn end over end. Knot after knot, I’m learning to knit. My mom recently took up the craft, so I asked her to teach me. The older I get, the more I begin to realize all she has taught me over the years. From the things I find funny, to the way I measure flour, and from my slightly defensive (i.e., aggressive) driving habits, to the way I converse at a dinner party—I see her touch on every facet of my life.

Each thing my mom has taught me throughout my life is truly a gift, some of which I’m just now beginning to appreciate. Hopefully, each of us has had someone who has guided and touched our lives in this way, be it a parent, teacher, mentor, or friend.

These dear people can pass on great gifts of wisdom, love, and inspiration. What’s so beautiful about these relationships and the many gifts, talents, and skills they bestow, is that they give us a taste of God’s love. When Jesus spoke to the crowds, He made it clear that our Father in heaven gives even greater gifts to those who ask (Matthew 7:11).

We catch an early glimpse of the Father’s gift-giving heart in our Old Testament reading for today. In the midst of outlining the intricate structures that needed to be built for keeping the covenant, we see God breathing His Spirit into the craftsman, Bezalel.

The Lord gave His people the huge task of building a holy place for Him to dwell. They were instructed to craft the tent of meeting, ark of the testimony, mercy seat, altar, holy garments, and more. I can only imagine how overwhelming it might have been to receive those blueprints from God. But the Lord did not leave His people without help. He filled Bezalel “with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship” and “gave all able men ability” to create what God commanded (Exodus 31:3,6).

Each and every time God commanded His people to act in His name, He also equipped them. Here we see a picture of a God who wants His people to succeed in the co-creation of beautiful and sacred things. He is not testing the artisans, hoping to prove their weakness. He is calling the artisans, eager to aid their victory.

The same holds true for all who follow Jesus today. If God has called you to something, He will equip you for it. Isn’t that amazing? So often we wish the world would be different. We pray for the kingdom of heaven to come, but we don’t realize that God has given us the skills, wisdom, and the Spirit to help build His kingdom here on Earth.

God used Bezalel and the skilled artisans to build His temple, not because He needed them, but because He wanted them to participate in His mission. The Lord delights in allowing His children to be co-laborers in kingdom work (1 Corinthians 3:9). Wherever you feel God calling you to help build His kingdom, ask the Lord to equip you. You have a generous Father in heaven who is waiting to help you carry out His work.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day29

Kaitie Stoddard is a professional counselor who recently relocated from Chicago to Colorado with her husband. She has her Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and is passionate about helping couples and families find healing in their relationships. On any given weekend you’re likely to find Katie snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains, checking out new restaurants with friends, or catching up on her favorite Netflix and podcast series.

66 thoughts on "The Skilled Workers"

1. Sabrina Michelle says:

I’m so thankful for being able to rightfully divide the word. In today’s lesson we see two different covenants, one given to the people of Israel that they could not keep and one given after the cross. A new Covenant, that is written in our hearts. Jesus has made it possible for us to receive a relationship with our Father that does not require performance, it requires believing in the finished works of Jesus and allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you along the way. Be refreshed❤️❤️❤️

1. Jo Gistand says:

I love this Sabrina! Amen!

2. Heather Shores says:

I wish I could like some of these messages. They are wonderful to read!

1. Faith Shiver says:

I agree!!
      ❤️

3. Heather Shores says:

I am going through a very painful break up. I know that has little to do with the lesson today but I am thankful for this community of women.

1. Churchmouse says:

Praying for healing for your heart and strength to move forward, with the assurance that God loves you and He continues to work in your life.

2. Gina Glennon says:

So sorry! May the love of Christ He has for you comfort and overwhelm you.

3. Shari Remmenga says:

Praying for comfort and peace for you

4. amarose10 says:

Praying that you would be able to feel God’s arms around you, holding you during this time. I was where you were not that long ago and it was hard and awful but God brought me through it and he will do the same for you. Cling to him, cry out to him and know that he has plans for you that include more than you could ever ask or imagine. He can bring new life out of darkness and work in any situation to bring something good. Wait on him and rest in him while you wait. Use this time to pursue God and let him heal your heart. It will get better even if it doesn’t seem like it ever could. Psalm 107 is a great passage that got me through the hard parts.

5. Mary Hairston says:

So sorry you are hurting.

4. Martha says:

Bezalel and the other skilled workers built the ark, the tabernacle and all its furnishings for the glory of God. This is a great reminder that our work should always be done for his glory. I am reminded of the craftsman, most of whose names are lost to history, who built the great cathedrals of the Middle Ages. Every part of these cathedrals was beautifully decorated to glorify God — even those parts, high up in the ceilings, which would never be viewed by anyone.

5. Ivey Broxton says:

So very interesting and convicting that He states one of the only – main ways His love and legacy to be passed through the generations is by taking a Sabbath. I work in the medical field and have always worked on Sundays – which for me was so difficult early on – and now seems difficult to take a rest on any other day – but I am so trying to let my body rest in Him and think of things of Him – worship Him – learn about Him. I find myself with a constant to do list – and guilt can creep in if I can’t check everything off – but it is Jonah to say to my family – it is my rest day – to teach them this commandment early in life – to see balance in Christian life –

1. Ruth Lorentz says:

I hope you you can put aside time for rest and refreshment and that it strengthens you and your family.

6. Kerry Campbell says:

The people were faithful in the work that God had ordained for them, using their unique talents to glorify God, yet they fell apart while waiting for Moses to descend down the mountain, even making their own ‘god’, the golden calf. I think of how fired up I am when I am working for God, singing at church, or teaching, or writing…how easily that all clicks into place, and yet how quickly I can fall apart when called to wait on an answer or a promise. I am sure I have made my own gods in those moments, just to have something to focus on, and it’s crazy. I am learning to faithfully wait.

1. Rhonda says:

So true, great thoughts!

7. Cathy Brase says:

What struck me today was that God does not need me, he wants me to help in his mission! It would be EASY for God to show us all He is God, but he WANTS me to Help in his mission and will equip me to do it! What a great thought, he WANTS me, so how can I share His love today?

8. Churchmouse says:

I am not a ‘crafty’ person – I can’t even operate a glue gun. But I do appreciate those who have been blessed with such talent. I’m constantly amazed at the unique gifts God gives to His people in community. So often, where one lacks, another abounds. One complements another and blessing is there for all. It is another example of how generous and creative our God is. He equips His followers to build up the body and we are all gifted in one way or another. I’m grateful for each gift put to His good use.