The Skilled Workers

Exodus 31:1-18, Jeremiah 31:31-34, 2 Corinthians 3:1-3

BY Guest Writer

Exodus 31:1-18, Jeremiah 31:31-34, 2 Corinthians 3:1-3

The thick wooden needles click as I methodically run the silvery blue yarn end over end. Knot after knot, I’m learning to knit. My mom recently took up the craft, so I asked her to teach me. The older I get, the more I begin to realize all she has taught me over the years. From the things I find funny, to the way I measure flour, and from my slightly defensive (i.e., aggressive) driving habits, to the way I converse at a dinner party—I see her touch on every facet of my life.

Each thing my mom has taught me throughout my life is truly a gift, some of which I’m just now beginning to appreciate. Hopefully, each of us has had someone who has guided and touched our lives in this way, be it a parent, teacher, mentor, or friend.

These dear people can pass on great gifts of wisdom, love, and inspiration. What’s so beautiful about these relationships and the many gifts, talents, and skills they bestow, is that they give us a taste of God’s love. When Jesus spoke to the crowds, He made it clear that our Father in heaven gives even greater gifts to those who ask (Matthew 7:11).

We catch an early glimpse of the Father’s gift-giving heart in our Old Testament reading for today. In the midst of outlining the intricate structures that needed to be built for keeping the covenant, we see God breathing His Spirit into the craftsman, Bezalel.

The Lord gave His people the huge task of building a holy place for Him to dwell. They were instructed to craft the tent of meeting, ark of the testimony, mercy seat, altar, holy garments, and more. I can only imagine how overwhelming it might have been to receive those blueprints from God. But the Lord did not leave His people without help. He filled Bezalel “with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship” and “gave all able men ability” to create what God commanded (Exodus 31:3,6).

Each and every time God commanded His people to act in His name, He also equipped them. Here we see a picture of a God who wants His people to succeed in the co-creation of beautiful and sacred things. He is not testing the artisans, hoping to prove their weakness. He is calling the artisans, eager to aid their victory.

The same holds true for all who follow Jesus today. If God has called you to something, He will equip you for it. Isn’t that amazing? So often we wish the world would be different. We pray for the kingdom of heaven to come, but we don’t realize that God has given us the skills, wisdom, and the Spirit to help build His kingdom here on Earth.

God used Bezalel and the skilled artisans to build His temple, not because He needed them, but because He wanted them to participate in His mission. The Lord delights in allowing His children to be co-laborers in kingdom work (1 Corinthians 3:9). Wherever you feel God calling you to help build His kingdom, ask the Lord to equip you. You have a generous Father in heaven who is waiting to help you carry out His work.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day29

Kaitie Stoddard is a professional counselor who recently relocated from Chicago to Colorado with her husband. She has her Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and is passionate about helping couples and families find healing in their relationships. On any given weekend you’re likely to find Katie snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains, checking out new restaurants with friends, or catching up on her favorite Netflix and podcast series.

66 thoughts on "The Skilled Workers"

1. Danielle Garzone says:

i agree with Kahli and Penny, i will be thinking about the sabbath as i go into this new week. just yesterday i found myself frustrated that i was unable to run errands due to certain places being closed on sunday. i have always respected a businesses decision to do this but yesterday i found myself grumpily asking why things weren’t open to cater to my day off “in this day and age”. something to honestly think about. we need rest and not just time to do nothing but time to dive into the word and reconnect with Jesus.

2. Wendy McSwain says:

I think it’s interesting that in the same passage he gives us the ability to do the work we are called to do, and commands us to rest from that work. God gives the pattern for successful work/life balance. What could be better than fulfilling, creative work and a set way to recharge from your efforts? Thank you for this one of your countless provisions for us, Lord!

3. Libby Kosciuszko says:

I have been stale in my walk lately. I feel empty, lonely and the past demons of regret, anxiety and shame have been trying to overwhelm me. But I also know that I haven’t been taking the time to truly seek and listen to the Holy Spirit. I have been praying for the past week that God would show me what He wants me to do to further the kingdom. This is a great reminder that not only do I have a purpose, but He already has the path laid out and He has equipped me with the “tools” I need. It’s amazing how these devotionals will line up with what God knows you need. So thankful for these women that take the time to study and write to help us in our journey!

1. She Reads Truth says:

We’re so grateful that you’re a part of our community Libby! We’re praying for continued encouragement for you during this time. -Margot, The SRT Team

2. Bunny says:

I love that you addressed “past demons of regret, anxiety and shame” I believe we ALL feel this way. I know that I sure do. I am walking down this road with the devil reminding me of all my past sins, but we have to remember that God forgives us and it is us that have a hard time forgiving ourselves! Just talking about when my son broke his femur and I didn’t believe him, I get sick to my stomach and start feeling terrible. Thanks for sharing!

3. Amanda Rockett says:

Thank you for sharing and being vulnerable Libby. I am praying for you today ❤️

4. Abby says:

A powerful devotional!! Thanks Katie! I love the SRT community. I want to ask for prayers for my husband and I. We were talking about how do keep listening to God and seeking him throughout our days and week. We both tend to find our meaning in work (which is a God-given blessing to begin with) and rely on our own strength. Would love prayers to continue to seek the Holy Spirit in our day to day lives and glorify God, not ourselves, with our work.

1. Mary says:

Praying for you and your husband, Katie! I know He will be so faithful to you guys as you continue to seek to glorify Him!

1. Mary says:

I’m sorry; I meant Abby!

5. Jessica McCreary says:

Great reminder of how He will equip us for what He wants us to do for the kingdom! ❤️

6. Penny McAuley says:

I grew up with a father who believed in keeping the sabbath day holy and a time to rest. He never allowed shopping or chores to be done on Sunday. He has been gone for many years now, but as I look at this passage today and Kahli question it strikes me that he was never stressed or overwhelmed by his work. I have not kept the same discipline in my life and constantly feel stressed and overwhelmed by my work. Think there is a lesson for me here. Enjoyed the commentary this morning!

1. Shannon Davison says:

I’ve heard it said, “God can do more with my 6 Days then I can do with 7”. Good reminder to always give it all for God and he’ll work it out.

7. Marianne says:

As a graphic designer those verses about God´s provision for the artists spoke to my heart in a special way. I love that he gave them His spirit in order to fulfill their work. So often I have experienced that God gave me an idea or helped me to finish a task I wasn´t sure I could handle. And since I started to post bible truths on social media I can confirm that he uses my humble efforts to speak to people who usually don´t bother with Christian truths … Yes, we are a letter, written by Christ (love that thought as well!) and though we are so different in our character, surroundings and skills, His handwriting will shine through – if we only let him. :)

1. Kristine Loughman says:

Love this! Jesus was like God’s love letter to us, wooing us. Now we are his love letter to others.

8. Kahli Harvey says:

What struck me this morning is the consequences for not doing sabbath: death and isolation. If I believe the laws and consequences are descriptive and not prescriptive necessarily, then what does that say about the consequences of refusing to rest?

1. Jess Harvey says:

Ha—- you’re reading this study too? I’m a few days behind but I see someone say your name and was like…. wait a minute.

2. Jess Harvey says:

So to clarify you are talking about act of the sabbath or a literal Sabbath day and the laws of the Sabbath?