Instructions for the Priestly Garments

Exodus 28:1-29, Ezekiel 44:15-19, Ezekiel 44:23-29, 1 Peter 2:4-5

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Exodus 28:1-29, Ezekiel 44:15-19, Ezekiel 44:23-29, 1 Peter 2:4-5

I’m not married, and I’m not getting married any time soon, but I think about my wedding dress a lot.

Not in a weird way. And from what I’ve gathered from my married friends, I know that if I do get married someday, I won’t think much about the dress on the actual day anyway. But as a twenty-something girl raised in the South, I’ve been attending a lot of weddings lately, and inevitably, they lead to dreams about my own.

I think it says a lot that we take the time to get dressed up to partake in this covenantal ceremony before God. The bride, the groom, the wedding party, and the guests—everyone puts on their Sunday best to celebrate.

In Exodus 28, God gives Moses intricate instructions for how to make the clothes that his brother, Aaron, will wear as priest. The entire chapter is full of beautiful descriptions of the garments that the artisans are instructed to create. God tells Moses that these garments should be made for Aaron and his sons “for glory and beauty” (v. 2).

The priests were mediators between God and the Israelites. They were the only ones allowed to enter into the holy place of the tabernacle, God’s sanctuary, where His spirit dwelt (Ezekiel 44:16).

It is fitting, then, that the instructions for the priestly garments are so detailed and delicate. The clothes the priest wore to enter into the presence of God deserved the utmost beauty, the utmost glory. The priests were set apart from the rest of the Israelites to be called holy. The garments they wore should have been their Sunday best.

I wonder if Aaron and the other priests were giddy with excitement to enter into the presence of God. I wonder if they felt the weight of their responsibility every time they put on these garments—the responsibility to be set apart as holy, as God is holy (Leviticus 19:2).

God’s holiness is always connected to glory and beauty. His holiness is stunning. As God’s people, we are called to be holy, too.

Thanks to the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we are able to come before God without wearing the intricate garments of the priests (1 Peter 2:4-5). Christ clothes us in righteousness and gives us the ability to participate in the royal priesthood of the kingdom of God. May we live each day in the glory and beauty given to us by Christ.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day24

Ellen Taylor was born and raised in sweet home Alabama, but has called Nashville home since 2013. When she’s not working as the editorial assistant at She Reads Truth, you can find her enjoying good food and good conversation with her friends and family. She is a lover of cozy sweaters, ugly dogs, and the Oxford comma.

75 thoughts on "Instructions for the Priestly Garments"

1. Kara Gerringer says:

I couldn’t finish reading all the scriptures . I like this app for it being quick . Then maybe have something else lined up for the evening . Today was not good for that. Now we’re late and the kids wouldn’t stop taking my phone because it took so long to get through the scriptures .

1. Erika Jaeger says:

I wonder if there wasn’t some kind of glitch. I also had a bunch of repeating verses at the end. It seems the part about Moses coming down from the mountain deserves its own reflection… Sorry your running late! ❤️

2. Sarah de Putter says:

This selection was difficult. I panned through most of it. And it didn’t complete as usual. Maybe a glitch today?

3. Lizzieb85 says:

I don’t have the app. The scriptures listed on the website were not particularly long. They are listed as follows:
      Exodus 28:1-29
      Ezekiel 44:15-19, 23-29
      1 Peter 2:4-5

4. Sarah says:

Hello Kara! If you have been going through the entire Lent series, today was actually one of the shorter days. Some of the earlier days had 3 chapters from Exodus instead of just 1. I think today might have seemed longer to you and your kiddos because the Scripture is not as easy to read through as the earlier chapters in Exodus. There are many other apps out there that offer easy quick studies, but I love how She Reads Truth focuses on Scripture instead of commentary, and has passages from both the OT and NT to help connect all of God’s Word together. I would suggest doing more difficult passages such as this one in the evening, when you may have more time to look up commentary and understand the Scriptures better.

5. She Reads Truth says:

We’re so sorry for the inconvenience Kara! We were experiencing a problem earlier, but it should all be up and running now. If you continue having problems just let us know and we’d be happy to help you further! -Margot, The SRT Team

6. Marcie Smith says:

Yes, it was just a glitch of some sort. It’s fixed now.

2. Kelly Chataine says:

For those who have been praying for me and my husband. His vestibular therapy continues. He continues to deal with dizziness, nausea, and vomiting, especially after therapy and church. His daily arm, leg, balance, and eye exercises are crucial. I am praying about my return to teaching on a half day basis until he has completed his therapy. Thank you for praying. We have been on this journey for 21 weeks. God is good all the time!

1. Churchmouse says:

Prayers continue for Roger’s recovery and strength for you as you make decisions regarding his rehab and your return to work. Surely God will bless you for your faithfulness.

2. Rachel says:

Was wondering how he was doing! Think of/pray for you both often!

3. Deborah Craytor says:

Thanks for the update. I’ve been praying for y’all every day.

4. She Reads Truth says:

Thank you for sharing this Kelly. We’re praying for you and your husband! -Margot, The SRT Team

5. Brenda says:

Continued prayers for you and your husband.

3. Kelly Chataine says:

Thanking God that I am no longer common but holy due to Jesus Christ!
    Thanking God that I am no longer unclean but clean due to Jesus Christ!

4. Abby says:

Isaiah 61:10 ” I will greatly rejoice in the Lord; my soul shall exult in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

1. Margaret Todd says:

Thank you, Abby, for that reference! After today’s reading, it has even more significance.

2. Gina Glennon says:

Oh yes, what a perfect verse! Thank you!

5. Kristen says:

We are called to be a Holy people set apart because of Jesus! May we walk our calling out and show His love today! God please help us to show Your love, mercy, and grace today. May we speak truth in love bc we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Please put Your divine protection on us and our families and order our footsteps. You are so good and we can trust You to be with us In all today as we do your will. Thanks God! In Jesus’ Powerful Name. Amen.

1. Susan says:

Thank you!

2. Dorothy says:

amen and amen

6. Molly says:

What does it mean when God says in Ezekiel 44:19: “And they shall put on other garments, lest they transmit holiness to the people with their garments.” This just seems so strange to me. Isn’t the whole point to show God’s holiness to everyone? And even still, the holiness was in the clothes themselves? This, to me, seems like another level from just Sunday best. Thoughts?

1. Kristine Loughman says:

It sounds like holiness is a disease, ha! In all seriousness though, I think it goes along the lines of why Moses had to tell the people to stay off the mountain when he went to meet with God at get the Ten Commandments. God is SO holy and perfect that we humans literally can’t take it in these imperfect, mortal bodies. I think the priests were taking a risk every time they stepped through the veil.

2. Regine says:

I was wondering about that passage as well. The clothes itself seem to be holy, maybe because God gave the excact instructions on how to make them. But why shouldn’t normal people become more holy, too? When I continued to read the other passages I noticed how much of a responsibility it was to be a priest, set apart for God. Only the priest was meant to be that holy (and all Levites to some extend), to carry the weight of this responsibility.

3. ERB says:

I don’t know exactly what this scripture in Ezekiel means either, Molly. But, maybe it was a form of protection.. We can’t transmit holiness to those who don’t seek it, their “eyes” aren’t opened yet so no matter how much we are projecting God and His Son and the Holy Spirit they just won’t see the fullness of it! Maybe the changing of the garments is something similar..like, if you haven’t allowed the eyesight of Christ into your heart and spirit, you will never be able to see the FULLNESS of what God has done, in other words when we don’t have Christ as our focus and center what we see of Him is tainted by our own thoughts and judgements. The Holiness of God is POWERFUL (I don’t think our human minds will ever fully understand or comprehend how powerful) and is definitely NOT something to be dumbed down or played with, it is to be RESPECTED and HONORED!! …this might be another way to look at this scripture.. God was protecting those that couldn’t or didn’t have the “eyes” to see His GREAT and MIGHTY FULLNESS. …but, these are just my initial thoughts. I am going to pray more about it and see what God reveals. Thank you for asking this question I truly appreciate it!! May God Bless you and continue to shower you with His wisdom and light!! Xoxo

4. Jo says:

Hi, Molly. I’m a horticulturist, and definitely not a seminary-trained scholar, so this is just my layman’s take on this—I see the precise detail specified by God for the priestly garments and the specific rules for when and where to wear them as a way to communicate His “otherness” and absolute holiness to the priests and to the people. And likewise, how consecrated and “other”, if you will, his priests were supposed to be. I remember a minister explaining once that if, when the High Priest went into the Holy of Holies, he had not followed his preparation instructions to the letter he would be struck dead—not as any punishment—but from encountering that utter holiness in an unsancitfied (? right word) state. All of this to say that the specificity and regulations were necessary to unequivocally demonstrate how Holy God is. It definitely seems to me that these garments were another level from Sunday Best also, but perhaps that is some of the basis for how that tradition or practice came to be. As I said, these are just my thoughts…

5. Rachel says:

Molly all the below statements are all food thoughts on your question. But also remember this was PRE JESUS! Now the veil is torn and we are able to enter into his presence and the Holy Spirit can dwell IN US! Making us priests and vessels to be used for his glory! We are made holy by him! Big calling but through Christ he accomplishes the work he started in us!

1. Rachel says:

Above statements* & good thoughts* – though food for thought works too ;)

6. Molly says:

Great thoughts, ladies! Thank you so much for your thoughtful and prayerful responses!

7. Churchmouse says:

There are clothes that seem more appropriate for the occasion than others. Sometimes a dress code is even made known. The Scriptures tell me that the attire I need to enter eternity is only one – the robe of righteousness. It is attained by faith in Jesus. There are a lot of clothes I want but only one I need.

1. Deborah Craytor says:

“There are a lot of clothes I want but only one I need.” Yes, this!

2. Rachel says:

So good & true. Making note of this :) thank you

3. Dorothy says:

so true

8. Dorothy says:

So I remember growing up my parents having us wear our best for church and Sunday school, so I wanted to keep going with that when my sons were going to church. I was doing real well until one Sunday when the minister’s daughter-in-law did a children sermon about how it doesn’t matter what you wear to church. She made a point to say that as long as you “walk the walk and talk the talk” that matters. I guess that is when I realized it didn’t matter what I wore as long as I was worshiping God and Christ. Most weddings I have been to are formal events but I have a friend whose daughter had a country wedding where they put on the invitations to wear casual or jeans. The wedding was to take place on a farm outside in the barn.

1. Dot Hardin says:

God deserves our best…that’s why we wear our “Sunday best” clothes to church. But HE deserves our best in all things we do and at all times in our lives. Not an easy task, but what I strive to do daily.