The Covenant Ceremony

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Exodus 23:20-33, Exodus 24:1-18, Exodus 25:1-40, Matthew 26:26-29, Hebrews 9:18-22

Playing make believe in the fields, building forts in the woods, dancing in the woods—this is how my best friend and I spent our childhood together. She was the sister I never had. With a bandana, we tied our wrists together and proclaimed ourselves “blood sisters.” We didn’t dare cut ourselves, but in our imaginations her “blood” ran through my veins and mine through hers. Archaic as it seemed, we believed that blood would unite us in an unbreakable way.

What I grasped better as a child than I do as an adult is that blood is more than physical cells. In our Western world, we generally view blood as a way to test and treat disease or a way to dramatize a movie. We are so far removed from a sacrificial culture that we struggle to see the true power of this red liquid.

In the age of Moses, the people understood that blood could sanctify and blood could bind. Don’t miss what truly happened when Moses took the sacrificial blood and threw half of it on the altar and half of it on the leaders of the people. This was not a scene from a horror movie or a superficial gesture. This was the moment the people of Israel had been waiting for. With the sprinkling of blood, the God of grace and the people of slavery were united. “Moses took the blood, splattered it on the people, and said, ‘This is the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you’” (Exodus 24:8).

The fallen people have always needed a way to be right with the perfect Lord. Throughout the ages, God has graciously provided different ways and covenants to commune with His people. In the Old Testament, we see animal sacrifices, rules, and promises, and we might be tempted to think it’s outdated. But even today we need a mediator to access our Holy God.

In this Lenten season, we prepare to celebrate a new covenant that God made with His people. Unlike the time of Moses, it is now Jesus who intercedes on our behalf with the Father. Rather than oxen blood thrown on an altar and our leaders, it is the blood of Christ that cleanses our sins and binds us to the Lord. Just as I once wanted blood to transform my friend into a sister, the blood of Christ truly transforms us into God’s children.

As daughters of the King, we are blessed to be able to commune with the Lord at any moment. This access is made possible only through the new covenant of Christ. As we prepare for Easter, may we remember the power and beauty in the blood that Jesus shed for us.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day19

Kaitie Stoddard is a professional counselor who recently relocated from Chicago to Colorado with her husband. She has her Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and is passionate about helping couples and families find healing in their relationships. On any given weekend you’re likely to find Kaitie snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains, checking out new restaurants with friends, or catching up on her favorite Netflix and podcast series.

58 thoughts on "The Covenant Ceremony"

1. Audrey Gonzalez says:

I was reminded of how not pretty it was. The throwing of blood etc. But it’s a reminder that sin requires a sacrifice. Thankful that Jesus paid that sacrifice and I have redemption through him.

2. Leah Clark says:

Why is it that God only allowed Moses and/or Aaron to ‘come near’?

3. Gina Cano says:

The last line in Hebrews struck me, “Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.” I had a miscarriage 2 years ago today and I remember this night just losing so much blood. I was heartbroken for awhile, but God drew me close and blessed me with a healthy baby boy who is now a year old. God keeps his promises, forgives our sins, and is so good! I’m really enjoying this Lenten Exodus journey with you all!

1. She Reads Truth says:

Thank you for sharing Gina, we’re so glad that you’re reading along with us! -Margot, The SRT Team

4. G C says:

What really stood out to me reading this was the incredible magnitude of the promise God made to them. He would wipe out sickness, barrenness, miscarriages, all of their enemies, and the list goes on. All they had to do was be loyal to him alone. Wow! What they gave up in breaking this covenant. But then I think how much I give up having been offered peace, joy, forgiveness, and eternal life while I often choose instead fear, resentment, and living for the moment instead of for the future. And yet He still offers it.

1. Jane Link says:

Amen!

5. Jessica McCreary says:

What a great reminder of the blood!

6. Angela G says:

I enjoyed the devotional for this reading. I have never really thought of the blood sacrifice as Jesus making us “blood brothers/sisters.” The visual is so intriguing to me. Moses splattering the blood making them God’s family through blood. Christ shedding His blood to bring us into His family. Wow! Just a beautiful visual for me.

7. Peony Noirr says:

Church and communion have become so routine to me that I am grateful for this reminder! Communion is a GIFT and a gesture of the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you Lord for dying for the sins of all mankind. Thank you for saving us! God is good!

8. Julie says:

I always love reading the details of the instructions on building the tabernacle. My first time digging deep into it was with Beth Moore’s Patriarch Bible study. I highly recommend! I also wanted to take the time to praise and thank God for He has been working in my life.

I have been walking in the valley here. I have been split wide open. I have been on my knees and cried out to Him with all my heart. It has been a tough road but He has been merciful and gracious and has heard me. At times I felt alone and couldn’t see or hear what God wanted for me. But I sit here in awe as I see He definitely is in my life and I am just so grateful for His blessings. For those out there who question what God’s plan is, know He is there. He never leaves us. He will never forsake us. I just have been overcome by His love. He loves us and comes to us in our need. I don’t now else to explain but I had felt under serious attack like spiritual warfare and now I just feel God’s gracious love and I know He is protecting me and guiding me. Psalm 23 reflects how I feel right now.

The Lord is my shepherd;
    I have what I need.
    He lets me lie down in green pastures;
    he leads me beside quiet waters.
    He renews my life;
    he leads me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
    Even when I go through the darkest valley,
    I fear no danger,
    for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff—they comfort me.

Thank you for allowing me to share. Blessings :)

1. She Reads Truth says:

Thank you for sharing Julie and we’re so grateful that you’re here! -Margot, The SRT Team