Honesty and Justice

Exodus 22:1-31, Exodus 23:1-19, Proverbs 31:8-9, 1 Corinthians 10:24

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Scripture Reading: Exodus 22:1-31, Exodus 23:1-19, Proverbs 31:8-9, 1 Corinthians 10:24

I have learned a lot about honesty and justice from having a roommate. First of all, it doesn’t matter what city you live in, how many people you live with, or the closeness of your friendship, sharing a bathroom is not fun. One of the largest offenses you can make as a roommate is stealing all the hot water from the shower, closely followed by leaving your wet laundry in the washing machine, your dirty dishes in the sink, or refusing to take out the trash.

Trying to live peacefully in a house full of sleep walkers, gum chewers, and late-into-the-night phone talkers gives you a fresh taste of the sinful (and sometimes gross) nature of humanity. The best thing you can do to navigate the awkwardness of shared living is to establish some house rules. For example, my current roommate’s responsibilities include mice and anything furry, while my expertise includes bugs and anything slimy. If we use up the last roll of paper towels or eat the last piece of chocolate, we replace them. The list can go on and on, but the longer it gets, it becomes less about individual actions, and more about the type of home we want to live in.

The same is true in Exodus 22 and 23, as we find one statement after another regarding things the people of God should or shouldn’t do, and when or how they should do them. It’s a long list, but those two whole chapters can be summed up in four words: “Be my holy people” (Exodus 22:31).

You see, issues like honesty and justice are tough to discern on their own, much less when combined with a temporary world that guarantees brokenness and imperfection. Yet, God teaches us that honesty and justice are foundational to the shoring up of our earthly homes.

When you read these two chapters, consider that each sentence is revealing something about God’s heart for His people. He has already paid our debt, given us a listening ear, granted us forgiveness, and fully satisfied our hearts. God’s heart is for restoration and redemption, and the vehicles He uses are honesty and justice.

Speak up for those who have no voice,
for the justice of all who are dispossessed
Speak up, judge righteously,
and defend the cause of the oppressed and needy.
—Proverbs 31:8-9

Thank the Lord, for He is honest and just. Amen.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day18

60 thoughts on "Honesty and Justice"

1. Amy Bilotta says:

I try to be intentional about reading up on the cultural context of Bible passages like these when I can because it sheds so much light on some of the rules that often for us seem nonsensical. I looked up v. 23:19 (the part about not cooking a goat in its mother’s milk) and apparently there was a pagan ritual at the time where this was done as a fertility ritual for the land (they sprinkled the fields with the broth or something like that) and so then this verse was God telling them not to engage in this tradition. He was leading them to a promised land that didn’t need to be sprinkled with goats milk to produce food for them – it would flourish instead because of those Sabbath rests!

1. Amanda Yancey says:

Thanks for sharing!

2. Bella says:

So interesting to learn the context for these sort of things. Thanks for sharing!

3. Kimberly Hartzler says:

I was wondering about that too! Thanks for seeking it out!

4. Michelle Emery says:

I was confused about that too! Thanks for looking into it and sharing ❤️

2. Esthera says:

I love how the meaning of the law and the ennumeration of the “do’s and don’ts” change and become essential to living honestly and justily when reading them through God’s eyes. Thank you for this new perspective!

3. Jessica McCreary says:

❤️❤️❤️

4. Rachel C Qualls says:

I am personally struggling with all things roommate right now and this really helped my perspective. I hate to be the one always taking trash out, changing toilet paper rolls, cleaning dishes and sometimes being the only one to buy house necessities, but I should do it out of showing love and not being OCD!

5. Audrey Gonzalez says:

I really loved how I saw the character of God through this reading. He is compassionate, loving, just, forgiving, merciful, orderly. And so much more!

6. Katie Morrison says:

Prayers please, I am confronting an issue at work and need discernment, courage and strength as honesty and judgement come to light. Thank you! To God be the glory

1. Liz C says:

Sending prayers that you find the wisdom you need to work through the issues. Good luck and may you be blessed through the journey..

2. She Reads Truth says:

We’re praying for you Kate! Thank you for sharing. -Margot, The SRT Team

3. Gina Cano says:

Just prayed for you Katie! Hope all goes well

4. Katie Morrison says:

Thank you for the prayers! God gave me so much strength and confidence. He is so good and I felt His presence with me. Thank you sisters!

7. Peony Noirr says:

I am so grateful to have separated myself from evil people and have surrounded myself with good, God fearing people who support and encourage my faith. ❤️

8. theo says:

I don’t know about you but his just turned my heart in a direction this morning. Symbolically speaking it makes me realize what kind of house I want to live in—- physically, emotionally and spiritually. I want to be His Holy People—- ideally. But, realistically HE makes us Holy, we are unable. A huge vision of grace for sure.