Escape Through the Red Sea

Exodus 13:17-22, Exodus 14:1-31, Exodus 15:1-21, Psalm 106:1-12, Romans 6:1-4

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Exodus 13:17-22, Exodus 14:1-31, Exodus 15:1-21, Psalm 106:1-12, Romans 6:1-4

“If I ever find out you bothered my sister again, you’ll be dealing with me.”

Toya was on a mission. She hadn’t gotten on her sister’s crowded school bus for no reason. The previous afternoon, Jessica had gotten off her bus completely distraught; a classmate had told her she couldn’t sit near him because she was black.

Seeing her little sister’s tears, anger had swelled up from deep inside of Toya to the point where she almost couldn’t see straight. She wanted to give that little boy a piece of her mind. She didn’t care who heard her, nor did she care that she wasn’t even allowed to be on that bus. Her sister needed her to speak up for her, and that’s exactly what she did. Jessica didn’t need to say a word in her own defense because Toya had said it all. I’ll bet the memory of Toya’s unexpected, fiery presence on the school bus stayed with that young man long after that day, stopping him in his tracks if he even thought to be mean to Jessica again.

How similar today’s passage from Exodus is—the story of God bringing the Israelites through the Red Sea.

Egypt had oppressed Israel long enough; God heard their cries for deliverance and stepped in. He’d brought them safely out of Egypt (decked out in the finest Egyptian gold, silver, and clothing, no less!), and His presence went with them as they escaped (Psalm 139:7).

Exodus 13 describes God’s presence as a pillar of cloud or fire that led the people of God on their way to freedom. But God’s presence did more than lead the Israelites; it protected them. The very presence of God stood between Israel and her enemies, completely defeating them. Just like Toya’s unexpected presence on a school bus changed how her sister was treated by her peers, the presence of God redefined how the nations of the world understood Israel.

How much more so does the incarnate presence of God—Immanuel, “God with us”—Jesus Christ, stand between us and whatever enemy dares to accuse, attack, or ensnare us? If God’s presence in the form of a pillar of cloud and fire can rescue an entire nation and triumph over another, then surely the incomparable act of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross can change the entire world. And if a pillar of cloud and fire can cause the entire Egyptian army to drown in the Red Sea, then surely the resurrection of Jesus Christ tosses the power of death and sin into the abyss for eternity.

Just like Toya’s little sister on the bus and the Israelites caught between the Red Sea and a pursuing army, we, too, are silent observers, standing in awe of the God of the universe coming to our rescue. We didn’t have to convince God to save us. Long before we existed, He’d decided to rescue us with the mighty act of redemption that makes journeying across the Red Sea seem like a leap across a puddle. God sent Himself into this world to rescue us once and for all.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day11

Erin Rose lives and works in vibrant Richmond, Virginia, where she serves as Worship & Teaching Pastor at East End Fellowship.  She is a graduate of the University of Virginia, and is currently enrolled as a graduate student at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.  Erin is a member of Urban Doxology, a ministry that is writing the soundtrack of reconciliation for the church. Her greatest joy lies in leading God’s people in authentic worship, and teaching them the truth found in God’s Word. She also enjoys eating delicious food, spending time with loved ones, and indulging in the occasional Netflix binge.

75 thoughts on "Escape Through the Red Sea"

1. Clare Lafaele says:

❤️

2. Nancy Crouch Morlini says:

It is easy to read this scripture today assuming I am an Israelite. That I am a good guy being saved by my super hero God from the villain “Egypt”. And basking in the grace and glory and protection of God. Unfortunately, all I can think about is what if I was an Egyptian? It is not good enough for me to say that “this had to happen to glorify God and his plan”. Each one of those Egyptian soldiers was a child of God. With a mother and a father. Maybe wives and children. Who grieved their death. They were soldiers taking orders. We don’t know that their hearts were evil. We don’t know anything about them except they were born as Egyptians and became soldiers. And on that day, they were murdered by my God. If I am going to disciple to this generation, I have to be able to account for this in real terms. Not platitudes. Not “that’s just the way it was back then”. Not “they weren’t God’s chosen yet”. We tell people that God loves them. That he loves every one of his children. That all can be saved. That no one is lost. But those Egyptian soldiers were lost. If we believe in the sanctity of life, we must also grieve every death. I cannot celebrate the protection and blessing of My God and my salvation through the sacrifice of Christ today without also recognizing the sacrifice of these Egyptians lives. The story doesn’t make me doubt God. It deepens my understanding of the true cost of my salvation.

1. Leslie S says:

I had similar thoughts while reading this passage and thought I need to reconcile and understand this event better to be able to

2. Leslie S says:

disciple to my children and others. Thank you for helping me with that.

3. Kristen says:

A young pastor had questions too. He asked his lead pastor that said, “Won’t the Lord of all the earth do right?” That settled it for him. I have questioned too. I do know that God’s thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways. I have reached out and searched Got Questions, emailed people at Harvest church online with Pastor Greg Laurie. ( He is a really good teacher of the Word.) I’ve also talked to others in the faith. I pray God gives you what you need and others too to reconcile this and you can feel better. I Jesus’ Name Amen

4. Kristen says:

Hi, I just thought I would add that I just read that God in His mercy did warn them to bring in the livestock during the one plague. The people worshipped false gods and some may have turned to the true God through all of this. God does love them too and maybe people changed bc that saw their gods were nothing.

1. Josie Vadala says:

I agree

5. Elissa Temple says:

Death is always tragic because it is caused by sin. I think it’s also important to look at this from the perspective that we are all born into sin, equally removed from the glory of God at our birth. If the Egyptians didn’t deserve death, then neither do we deserve everlasting life. It is God’s unfathomable grace we owe our lives to, not our earning and deserving. He called Israel and not Egypt, just as He calls believers and not unbelievers. This understanding points is to the truth that we are completely helpless to save ourselves and must throw ourselves upon the throne of grace for hope of salvation.

3. Brittany Couch says:

Exodus 14:14 God will fight the battle for you. And you? You keep your mouth shut. I love this…. full of trust and obedience. Lord, forgive me for all the times I questioned you, complained, took the reins in my hands to control what I thought as the better option. Thank you for you live and grace and guidance. I love you.

4. Leslie Limardo says:

My favorite line is “The Lord will fight for you; you must be quiet.” what a reminder! Quit complaining and be quiet. He’s got this battle. The very next paragraph God tells Moses “Why are crying out to me. Tell the Israelites to break camp… in other words get up and do what you can do and let me do the rest!!!! LOVE THIS!!!

1. Karen says:

1. Amanda says:

Yes totally agree that God wants us to trust him and at the same time, get up and do something!

5. Angelica says:

I love being reminded that God, the same God that rescued the Israelites from Pharaoh, is the same God who rescues us today. It’s so easy to forget, but I’m so glad to be reminded of this today. He continues to be faithful and will one day come back to rescue His people once more! How great our Lord is!

6. Audrey Gonzalez says:

I noticed how quickly they began to doubt and fear…even when God had told them he would save them. I am so like the Israelites. Praying for bigger faith and to remember God’s promises even when things look bleak!