Weekly Truth

Exodus 3:14

BY She Reads Truth

Scripture is God-breathed and true. When we memorize it, we carry the gospel with us wherever we go.

In this week’s verse, God reveals the greatness of His power through the authority of His name.

God replied to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.”
—Exodus 3:14

Save the image below as a lock screen for your phone so you can read these words throughout the day.

4-Lent18-1

56 thoughts on "Weekly Truth"

1. Kelly Alvey says:

I am in awe of how the Lord sets Himself apart from other gods. Moses was likely familiar with the selfish, petty, evil gods of Egypt. They all had names. They were all just as sinful as the people who served them. But our God can’t be contained in a simple word, in just one name. He doesn’t let Moses put Him on the same level as the Egyptian gods. He is other, holy, separate— He is God and not man. “I am who I am.” So simple and so mind-blowing. May we never lose our wonder.

2. Peony Noirr says:

I Am Who I Am-
    We should all aim to find our confidence in God and through God.

3. Caroline Odom says:

This verse and reminder of God’s vastness amazes me every time. Because He is our mighty creator, the reason and drive behind everything, He doesn’t need to provide any more of an explanation than, “I am,” because it somehow perfectly captures who He is.

1. Audrey Gonzalez says:

Love your take on this! How to describe what a God we have!

4. Jocelyn Allen says:

In a world that seems like change is the only constant what an amazing verse to lean on. Without seeing the whole plan, my mind and heart are put to rest knowing that God is today as he was yesterday and forever. So encouraged by seeing so many women stand firm in His truth! ❤️

5. Sydney says:

Sister friends, would you please pray for me? I have a big job interview coming up for my first teaching job, in a large district that is very difficult to get into, and that I would LOVE to be in! I have so many worries and fears that my mind can only think of the what-ifs. I don’t feel well prepared and I am losing sight of Who called me to this field and Who knows what’s best! Please pray for peace and wisdom during my interview.

1. Lindsay C says:

Praying :)

1. Cheryl says:

Praying, Praying sweet sister!

2. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Sydney, thanks for sharing. We’re praying for encouragement, wisdom, and peace for you during this interview process. We’re grateful that you’re here! -Margot, The SRT Team

6. Sarah Louise says:

For me, this is an answer when I doubt Him – or question His timing. I’m adopting a little boy, and it’s going slower than I want it to, and I don’t understand. But when I go to God and question Him, I hear Him say, “I am who I am” and I know He’s in control. I know He knows the timing and He knows what He’s doing. He is who He is.

1. Hannah Collier says:

Thanks for sharing this! I recently went through something that I know a God brought into my life and I was confident that He was going to make a certain outcome from it but apparently God has a different plan than I do because it completely fell apart. I was crushed and didn’t understand, but I know that He brought this to me and like you said He is in control! He is God, and He knows what He’s doing even when I have absolutely no idea what’s going on! I just have to trust Him. Thanks for the reminder! I hope you’re able to adopt your little boy soon, I’ll be praying for you!

7. Mollie Arnwine says:

Can someone give me the depth behind God’s “I Am” statement? I have always wondered about this but never really understood and I just want to be able to go deeper with it!

1. Celine says:

The way I interpret the I AM statements, which are probably one of my favorite reoccurring statements in the Bible is that God is pointing out and telling us HE IS the only way. We see it in John when he says I AM the bread of life, I AM the light of the world, I AM the door of the sheep, I AM the resurrection and life, and a well known verse, I AM the way, the truth, and the life, I AM the true vine. God is saying His is the only way, the only truth, the only way of life, He is the true vine from which we grow from. One thing I was told is you can replace all the I AM statement with HE IS and read them that way and it makes more sense of what He is saying and trying to get across. Hope this helped. c:

2. Dorothy says:

I AM THAT I AM… God is simply saying to Moses I am whatever you need me to be in your life! I AM Jehovah Jireh (God your provider), I AM Jehovah Shalom (God of Peace- peace that passeth all understanding in the storm of life’s experiences that you may be facing), I AM Jehovah Tsidkenu(God of Righteousness) I AM Jehovah Nissi (God of War- against the raging power of darkness attempting to attack your soul/finances/ministry/life etc) I AM Emmanuel (God with us) …. list is endless- He is the Almighty the beginning and the End, Alpha and Omega, He says in psalms 91:16(I think)-Call unto me and I will answer you, I will deliver you and set you on high…..
      I AM that I AM. Every Blessing Mollie(my two pence)

3. ashley sovie says:

Look into the study by Lysa TerKeurst calling “Finding I Am”. SO good.

1. J'Lynne says:

“Finding I Am” is a great study! Kay Arthur’s “Lord, I Want to Know You” also goes through the names of God.

4. Jillian Waggoner says:

I’m no theologian so I can’t speak from the academic. But I’ve toyed with this same thought since I was a child. I have come to imagine it as a declaration to his creation that he exists. There is a sense of density and completeness in “I Am”. We, as humans, are always “becoming” or “changing into”, “being formed, perfected in love” etc. But God was, is, and always will be. Constant. Never changing. Alpha and omega. Beginning and End.

5. Morgan Lancaster says:

I agree with Jillian and also think it captures the depth in the statement itself. There is nothing we could put behind the words “I Am” that truly convey who God is.

6. Pamela Strommen says:

“I AM”.
      Does this have something to do with Him declaring the holiness of who He is? I know the Israelites, who were afraid of breaking the law of taking the Lord’s name in vain, did not call Him by name. Perhaps God was using His true name as a declaration of war? He is all that He says he is, and it’s time that his people live like they believe it.