The Lord Promises Freedom

Exodus 5:1-23, Exodus 6:1-27, Isaiah 6:4-5, Psalm 68:4-6

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Scripture Reading: Exodus 5:1-23, Exodus 6:1-27, Isaiah 6:4-5, Psalm 68:4-6

When I signed up for a half-marathon, I thought I was agreeing to the half with medals and snacks at the end. Unfortunately, the journey to the finish line was a little more than I bargained for.

The longest distance I ran when training for the race was 10 miles. I’d read about many types of training plans. Some encouraged running more than 13.1 miles to increase your confidence on race day, while others suggested running less and allowing the adrenaline to carry you through. Through a very close elimination process, I chose the latter because it involved less running.

My training prepared me for inclement weather, dehydration, hunger, and cramps. I mapped out where along the route I should slow down or speed up, and even curated a motivational playlist—complete with a special list of victory songs for the last mile. On the morning of the race, I suited up with every recommended accessory and piece of training advice, keeping my mind only on the task at hand. The first several miles went as planned, but as the day grew hotter, it felt like the finish line was running in the opposite direction. I’d lost count of the mile markers, but I knew I still had a long way to go. That is, until I locked eyes with an encouraging onlooker who said, “You’re almost there! It’s the last mile!”.

Except, it wasn’t. It was the beginning of the next-to-last mile, which is a detail that truly matters when your legs have already begun to turn to jelly.

It was God’s ultimate will for His people to be released from Pharaoh’s control. And yet, day by day, freedom must have seemed like it was crawling further and further away from the Israelites. Just when they thought their jobs couldn’t get any worse, they were forced to source their own supplies. Just when they thought their lives couldn’t get harder, they were afraid they’d have to rely on their own strength.

Moses’ words to God seem to echo the thoughts of all His people: “Ever since I went in to Pharaoh to speak in your name he has caused trouble for this people, and you haven’t rescued your people at all” (Exodus 5:23).

Do you still love us?

Do you still see us?

Are you still going to help us make it to the finish line?

Seeing a promise through to its fulfillment demands perseverance. God does not promise us the shortest route or even the most painless, but as Corrie ten Boom puts it, “When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don’t throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.”

The distance may become longer. The steps may become more painful. The journey may become less predictable. But the same God who gives freedom also gives perseverance, purpose, and peace. His promise to Israel is His promise to us: I will take you as my people, and I will be your God” (Exodus 6:7).

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day5

113 thoughts on "The Lord Promises Freedom"

1. Mara Estrada says:

I am few days behind and as a perfectionist I would beat myself for this. But I’m learning to accept my humanity and be ok with mistakes. Although I am days behind feels like the day I read is perfect for the day I go through. I needed this. My boyfriend and I are having a really rough patch after 3 years of dating. Why Now when we are talking about marriage? Why now? I feel like the Israelites, hard to believe that it will happen because I’ve been waiting for this my whole life and now it seems impossible.

1. Miranda says:

Have faith, and don’t quit working through things with your boyfriend in this difficult season. Trust in the Lord and His timing no matter what happens. Praying for you!

2. Audrey Fleming says:

Hey girl I had the same thing happen to me last year. God had spoken to both of us that we would be married, but our relationship seemed to literally be hit with plague after plague, hardship after hardship. We are indeed married now and are so grateful God uses that time to shape our characters before marriage. Endurance is so unromantic but so worth it❤️

2. Karen says:

I found this very comforting and so true to what goes on in life for each of us. Sometimes the journeys we encounter are short, but many of them seem long and drawn out with obstacles every which way we go. But God is faithful and keeps His promise to us that He has the bigger plan for our lives and that He will see us through.

3. Emily says:

‘God settles the solitary in a home’.. how I needed to hear this. Exhausted from confusion and waiting and hurting. But I am not really alone, even when that’s all I can feel, and God IS working for my good. Help me to trust, Lord!

4. Mara Ladewig says:

I’d love it if in the devotional write up you connected the different verses that we read each day. I’d love to hear the thoughts behind why they were selected and how you think they are connected.

1. Katie M says:

Totally agree Mara. I find it disjointed and “reaching” at times. Would be really helpful to see the connections they made.

2. She Reads Truth says:

Thank you for the feedback Mara! I’ll be sure to pass it along to the team. -Margot, The SRT Team

3. Amanda Montgomery says:

Agreed!

4. Nicole Marr says:

I agree as well. Oftentimes I’m left wondering what the connection was meant to be.

5. Cathy says:

Prior to reading this I was in prayer about God’s plan for me and asking for patience and reliance on God’s perfect timing. And then this…. may we all follow Moses’ example & be delivered or at least lead to the finish line. Let us not throw in the towel like a Judas who more than likely wanted a quicker path & gotfrustrated. Your strength Lord not mine! Amen

6. Peony Noirr says:

God wants us to persevere. There is a lesson to be learned daily.

7. Sarah Marshall says:

The message of perseverance is one I needed to hear! God is not silent and has not left us. I need to keep my focus on Him and continue to walk on.

8. Marisa Narro says:

Wow, this reading of Exodus is not easy to read but this reflection WAS. It’s spot on where I am in my life. Thank you.