The Lord Calls Moses

Exodus 3:1-22, Exodus 4:1-31, Joshua 5:13-15, Matthew 22:23-33

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Exodus 3:1-22, Exodus 4:1-31, Joshua 5:13-15, Matthew 22:23-33

I’ve never seen a burning bush, but I know how it feels to hide my face.

Acceptance of the mission God had for Moses would mean leaving the life he had spent four decades building, facing the maniacal ruler of the most powerful nation in the world, fleeing again with only the clothes on his back and a nation to care for, and then leading the most miserable, insufferable group imaginable on a forty-year road trip through an unforgiving desert.

My calling may not be of Mosaic or burning-bush proportions, but what God asks of me, and of you, isn’t altogether different from what He required of Moses.

We are called to speak the truth in love, even to those who disrespect and disagree with us (Ephesians 4:15, 25). We are called to help lead people away from their slavery to sin and toward the Promised Land of freedom found in Christ (Matthew 28:19–20). We are called to run toward, not away from, pockets of suffering and hold high the staff of hope (Galatians 6:2).

This all sounds exciting in theory, but when the opportunity arises, our gut reaction is often the same as Moses’ response. We turn away from the call, begging, “Please, Lord, send someone else” (Exodus 4:13). If even a burning bush cannot compel us to run toward the mission God has for us, what will?

Remembering what’s at stake.

Tucked here in between the ignition of the burning bush and Moses’ decision to obey, we find an object lesson as unsettling to us as it must have been to Moses.

Moses’ staff becomes a snake (vv. 2–5) and his healthy hand becomes diseased (vv. 6–7) before a third sign is promised: the Nile River will turn to blood and will be spilled out on the dry ground (vv. 8–9). Sure, these are demonstrations of God’s power, but look again. This is a compelling reminder of who we are without Jesus.

We are snakebitten, attacked and weakened by the serpent who first struck in the garden.

We are diseased, desperately broken by sin and unable to cure our own sick hearts.

These first two signs show that we are enslaved to the taskmaster of sin without the means to break our own chains. The gospel is the only key that turns the lock for shackled people walking in darkness. We cannot hide our faces from this.

The third sign given to Moses runs like a river of hope through all of God’s Word and overflows into the banks of our lives. As Moses turned river water into blood and dumped it onto dry ground, he was preaching the gospel, pointing toward the day when the blood of our Savior would be spilled on a cracked and desperate world for the deliverance of our sin. In Exodus, the wooden staff of a shepherd was a foreshadowing of the wooden cross where the Good Shepherd would hang for us.

Moses remembered what was at stake, slipped his sandals back on, and put one foot in front of the other, walking out his calling. And the Lord, used him mightily in order to set the captives free.

Lord, help us look across the table, across the street, and around the world, remember what’s at stake, and choose declare the gift of the gospel.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day4

Erin Davis is an author, blogger, and speaker who loves to see women of all ages run to the deep well of God’s Word. When she’s not writing, you can find Erin chasing chickens and children on her small farm in the Midwest.

161 thoughts on "The Lord Calls Moses"

1. Marisa Narro says:

“With out God we are Snakebitten.” Powerful.

2. IndigoBlue says:

I’m in the middle of a job for God and I don’t think that I can do it anymore. I know all the right answers to do what God calls us…but I feel alone, disrespected and taken advantage of. This calling is taking a high school child into our home. I’ve raised my own children and have had her here for 2 1/2 quarters. I’m tired of some of what we deal with.

1. DebBea says:

Praying for you…

1. IndigoBlue says:

Thank you! My husband and I need much wisdom in this situation and protection.

2. She Reads Truth says:

We’re praying for peace and wisdom for you and your family during this time. We’re grateful that you’re here! -Margot, The SRT Team

3. Mandi Kay says:

This is BEAUTIFUL!! I love this so much!

4. Sarah Marshall says:

God can use anyone, anywhere. Moses didn’t feel like he was good enough, or eloquent enough to speak and move on behalf of the Lord, but God gave him everything he needed to complete his mission. What a great reminder for my own life!!!

1. Mary Foster says:

Amen:-) just sat in on the IFGathering simulcast and was freshly reminded that it’s very often the very areas we have failed and held onto the lies that pronounce us “disqualified “ that God wants to use. These are the tender spots for us because we feel our own weakness so keenly. BUT GOD (2 pretty powerful words from scripture) so loves to use these weaknesses or failings because it won’t be done in our strength but absolutely in His! And somehow He delights to let us be involved….crazy cool to see His amazing power!

5. Jillian says:

Wow! I did not recognize that foreshadowing of the Gospel until you pointed it out!

6. Erynn Beebe says:

Love how it says this passage shows us who we are with and without Jesus in our lives

7. Mary Beth Barden says:

“Then the anger of the Lord kindled against Moses…” but then without hesitation, he gave him what he asked for, even though he would’ve empowered him if he were willing to trust him! In anger, God showed mercy. But I can’t help but think Moses missed an opportunity to see the Lord work, an opportunity to receive the rewards of obedience. How often is it that I pass up opportunities to stand in awe of what my God can do because I don’t trust his plan, because I put my confidence (and lack thereof) in the flesh instead of putting my faith and hope in the power of Christ? Oh Father, forgive your faithless child. Holy Spirit, help me in my unbelief. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Restore in me the joy of my salvation, and make me willing to obey you. Teach me to do Your will, for my hope is in you. May I walk in confident trust that your voice speaks to me, that your Spirit guides me, and that your strength is made perfect in my weakness. In the powerful name of Jesus Christ, I recognize your promises and trust you with this day, agreeing with who you are and what you’ve done; amen.

8. Samantha Stens says:

I was confused about this too. My boyfriend’s study explains that Moses had neglected to circumcise his son as he should have done as a sign of the covenant.

1. Pamela Strommen says:

Yes, of course! That makes sense. Moses had not followed Abrahamic law and his wife took it upon herself.
      Before confronting others of their sin, am I repenting of mine?