The Heart of Lent

BY Amanda Bible Williams

Scripture Reading: Genesis 3:17-19, Psalm 78:1-7, Isaiah 30:15-18, Joel 2:12, Acts 3:19-20, Romans 3:22-23, Colossians 2:6-14

From the moment our first parents were deceived by the serpent, we have been striving. “You will eat bread by the sweat of your brow until you return to the ground,” God told them (Genesis 3:19). And so we toil—whether sitting at a desk or plowing the land, studying for classes or scouring job listings, growing children or crops or companies. The work is not easy and, truth be told, it overtakes us. It is no surprise, then, that this is how we view the work of our salvation: as a matter of toiling and striving.

If achievement and acclaim are our chief end, effort is our primary means. That is the world’s gospel, but it is not the gospel of Jesus. The salvation offered by God in Jesus Christ does not follow the world’s rule of merit. All of Scripture is a story of God’s unearned love and unmerited faithfulness toward a rebellious people. It is an exodus story, where the primary job of the rescuee is to trust the Rescuer.

Isaiah 30:15 reads: “For the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, has said: ‘You will be delivered by returning and resting; your strength will lie in quiet confidence.’” It’s a deep breath, this verse. A deliverance that comes from rest and quiet? What a dream.

But rest and quiet—much less returning to our holy God—do not come naturally to our Genesis 3 hearts. Our tendency is to run. The verse continues: “But you are not willing. You say, ‘No! We will escape on horses’—therefore you will escape!—and, ‘We will ride on fast horses’—but those who pursue you will be faster” (Isaiah 30:15-16).

We cannot outrun, outwit, or outwork our sin. No amount of effort or grit or good intention can deliver us from the world of death and dust. As hopeless as it may sound, this truth rings of freedom! We cannot deliver ourselves, but the One who can deliver us has come.

Lent is a long, slow season where we pause to remember who we are, who God is, and what Jesus has done. We are made from dust with love and intention, in the image of our Creator (Genesis 1:27). We have sinned and we are sinners, incapable of saving ourselves (Romans 6:23). Jesus Christ is the perfect expression of God’s eternal love and faithfulness, given to reconcile us to Himself (Colossians 1:19-20). We are invited to repent of our sin, return to our merciful and compassionate God, and rest in the freedom of His grace and forgiveness (Acts 3:19-20).

His love for us cannot be outdone or undone. Enter this season of repentance and remembrance with humility, willing to see and confess your sin. And enter with confidence, trusting in the completed work of Jesus Christ on your behalf. Don’t bother running away on fast horses or hiding behind your best efforts. Run to Him, and rest.

SRT-Lent2018-Instagram-Day1

373 thoughts on "The Heart of Lent"

1. Jennifer Parker says:

Praying for you Annette! I’ve been feeling the same tugging at my heart.

2. Annette Hyslop says:

Prayer request. Feeling Gods nudging to dive into the Word and prepare. Giving up fb and other distractions to focus. Thank you

1. Kayvona Branson says:

You are in my prayers, I too had that same urge Saturday night and have deleted all social media apps so that I can focus and find myself in Christ.

2. Tanya Stemmerman says:

I love this! I just subscribed to this and I’m hoping this will help ween me off of Instagram. I understand it can be a good tool but it doesn’t help me at all. It’s encouraging to know there’s someone else out there too that’s trying!

3. Ayodele says:

First time here today already love it♡

1. She Reads Truth says:

Welcome Ayodele, we’re so glad that you’re joining us! -Margot, The SRT Team

4. Lark Terry says:

I am loving these studies! This is so refreshing! I love how y’all have set this up, it makes you want to dive in!

5. Jen Trent says:

Coming in very late to this Lent study I can’t put it down! Right on time. Thanks ladies for the prayer and hours spent writing this study, it is beautiful and perfect ❤️

6. Natalie says:

Good morning everyone, I am so blessed at this moment. I had just said a prayer to God our Father : What does it mean to be in Your Presence, and then I pick up my phone to Google again on this subject (Psalm 16:11) and this devotion was just sitting there on my phone , I didn’t even do a search, just sitting there amongst the news and other trendings. How outrageously our Father wants me to learn how to consistently be conscious of His Presence through many different ways . This Devotion is God orchestrated for me. May the Lord bless you all with His Anointing to continue in this ministry because you never know who prayed a prayer and the Lord answered through this ministry . I am encouraged to continue to seek His Presence and that I will find one day myself in the fullness of His Joy ! I thank God for His Son Jesus who rescued us from the enemy that we might serve Him without fear in holiness and righteousness all the days of our life (Luke 1:74-75)

7. Jessica Thompson says:

I’m loving the She Reads Truth Studies! Late on Lent, but ready to dive in! I have the app and recently brought home the She Reads Truth Bible and OMG, the layers and levels of beauty are absolutely amazing. I cannot put it down! It truly draws me in to seek the Word of God each and every day. Many blessings to you ladies for your willingness to pour into this ministry and be obedient to the will of God on your lives! Truly a blessing, I’ve been non-stop telling others!

1. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Jessica, thanks so much for the sweet encouragement! It always means so much to us and I’ll be sure to pass it along. We’re grateful that you’re here! -Margot, The SRT Team

8. Samantha Cimino says:

I am starting late but so excited I found this app! I have followed the She Reads Truth Instagram for ages but never downloaded the app.
    So I am striving to be a blogger and YouTuber and recently, just as big brands started reaching out to me, the Lord showed me to pause. Similar to Joanna Gains He showed me that He has better plans. I have stopped taking collaborations and work from companies, i plan to fast from social media and my blog the month of May but this is all so hard. I have put a lot of time, money, effort, and passion into what I do and have been chasing after more and more to grow my business. I think that chase has left me empty in Christ. He is revealing to me that I have a heart issue and have felt dry for a very long time. This is so hard for me because I love being creative and using my Instagram and blog to relay my heart and my passions to my readers. Taking a break from it is harder than I was expecting because I just want to continue. I feel if I break now I will have to start back at point A and it will be hard to build my brand again. I think the Lord wants to do a new work with my blog but I don’t know what that looks like and when it will happen. This bible study is encouraging to me because it just keeps confirming what the Lord is showing me.

It’s hard not to blog in this season because I get married in 15 days and I just want to blog about it! How could I not?! Haha but I know the Lord has a great purpose for this.

If you’ve made it this far, please pray for me to be strong and follow the Lord and to be able to be filled with Him once again and not filled with desires of my flesh and the things of this world. Above all, that is what I want. To feel His presence again.

1. She Reads Truth says:

Thanks so much for sharing this Samantha. We’re praying for you during this time and are so grateful that you’re reading along with us! -Margot, The SRT Team

2. Melissa Acosta says:

Praying for you Samantha! Our God is soooo good and He will make you strong and fill you up with His peace and purpose for your life! Lots of love sis