May the Lord Direct Your Hearts

from the 1 & 2 Thessalonians reading plan

2 Thessalonians 3:1-18,  2 Corinthians 11:7-9, 1 Peter 5:8-11

BY Rebecca Faires

Scripture Reading: 2 Thessalonians 3:1-18,  2 Corinthians 11:7-9, 1 Peter 5:8-11

I try not to follow ambulances, rubber neck at traffic accidents, or stare when someone drops a whole bag of marbles on the ground. But when something goes terribly wrong, somehow we all want to turn our heads to watch. I think it comes from twin desires to help, but also to gawk.

A few years ago, my then eight-year-old daughter and I walked into the food court of our local mall. There we found ourselves pushed to the front of a crowd that must have been nearing 100 people. They were encircling a lifeless boy on the floor, who looked to be no more than two years old. Together, we stood helpless, looking on while EMTs performed CPR on his little body.

I don’t know a lot about medicine, but I do know you only implement CPR if there is no pulse or breathing. It’s our way of manually keeping a body going. Since that was already being done, there was really nothing left for the other 100 of us to do.

And so we all stood still and watched. His mother didn’t cry; she paced, she moaned, she shouted. We felt powerless to help the child or his mother. It was shocking to see so many people standing there, hands at their sides, while the battle between life and death was fought right in front of us.

It’s awful to face our own powerlessness. I like to really lean my shoulder into a job and then promptly see a result for my effort. But when it comes down to it, when things are really important, I’m like that crowd of people, rendered helpless, left watching and waiting.

In 2 Thessalonians 3:5, Paul prays, “may the Lord direct your hearts to God’s love and Christ’s endurance.” The whole Christian walk is one of dependance. The air we breathe, the gravity that holds us to the earth, and the ability to wonder at it—it all comes from God’s common grace. We have no endurance apart from the endurance of Christ.

Moments of calamity and tragedy unveil our deep neediness and utter helplessness. They direct us to our only strength and recourse, which is Christ. And it is only by His strength that we will not grow weary in in our faith and in doing good in the name of the gospel (2 Thessalonians 3:13).

When we saw the baby and his mother in crisis, I took my little girl by the hand and led her around the corner where we found a quiet spot to pray. But even our prayers are a recognition of our enormous need. Prayer is not about what we do, but about running to the God who can do all things. It is an avenue for God to impart His love and endurance to us.

What a tremendous grace this is, to know the God who loves perfectly and to be in relationship with the God who endures endlessly. In the face of our overwhelming sorrows, He directs our hearts back to Him. His is the real strength in our ever-present weakness.

The God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, strengthen, and support you after you have suffered a little while. To him be dominion forever. Amen.
—1 Peter 5:10-11

SRT-12Thessalonians-Instagram-12

60 thoughts on "May the Lord Direct Your Hearts"

1. Daria Turner says:

1 peter 5:8-11 ❤️

2. Lindsey Bailey says:

When going for a big goal, people often say to come up with your ‘why’. Then when times get difficult, you can keep going when you remember why you chose to do it in the first place. Modern day psychology is great, but it’s amazing how God had already created a way. As Christian’s, God’s love is our ‘why’ and His endurance helps us to continue plodding on. I pray for a fresh revelation of God’s love and I pray Christ’s endurance helps me to work steadily instead of standing idly.

3. Morgan Mattson says:

I’m so curious what happened to the baby boy!

4. Tricia Cavanaugh says:

This sort of reminds me of the if: local gathering I just came back from. We studied the books of Timothy. Paul was talking to him there and was basically encouraging him in the same way.

1. Lindsey Abercrombie says:

Hello Tricia! Just out of curiousity, are you in Oregon? My Oregonian church, Willamette, just had an If gathering :) God Bless you for attending, have a wonderful evening!❤️

5. Kristen Burnett says:

The highlighted verse for this day was just the reminder I needed after a hard week of feeling excluded from a group of friends. Thank you She Reads Truth! Your studies bring me closer to God each day! ❤️

1. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Kristen thanks for sharing and we’re so grateful that you’re a part of our SRT community! -Margot, The SRT Team

6. September Shaw says:

This is striking a powerful chord in me. Several times in my life, as dark seasons have all but devoured me, there has come a turning point where the Lord seems to appear absolutely everywhere in my life. It isn’t that suddenly all things are righted and I have a testimony of miraculous blessings, but instead it’s just God’s presence standing with me. He encourages me to keep working/going/getting up because, despite my earthly helplessness, I am empowered to continue. In those seasonal shifts, I find myself powerfully connecting all the pieces of my life back to scripture and prayer, surrendering myself, my pain, and my uncertainty to God. I realize this is the goal every day, and I try to remind myself to document these shifts so that I might even reread my own story of how the Lord stayed steadfast, brought light to dark, and even of how I was able to trust him. Today’s scripture passage sums it up so perfectly. This was exactly what I needed. Humbled and grateful this morning.

1. She Reads Truth says:

Thank you for sharing September. This is such a great reminder and we’re so grateful to have you a part of our SRT community! -Margot, The SRT Team