Jesus Is Risen

from the Matthew reading plan

BY Andrea Lucado

Scripture Reading: Matthew 27:1-66, Matthew 28:1-20, Psalm 22:7-8, 1 Corinthians 15:6, 2 Corinthians 3:18

My parents like to tell this story about me as a three-year-old.

My sister and I had a babysitter for the night, and my mom had made us brownies to have as a snack, with the instruction that we were each allowed one brownie. After the first brownie, I reached for a second.

“No, Andrea,” said the babysitter. “You can only have one.” I looked at her, and with a scrunched up face and my hands on my hips, I declared, “You’re not the boss!” At the time, I had a speech impediment that softened my “R”s. So you can imagine how intimidating this sounded to my babysitter.

I still have authority issues. Authority threatens my freedom. It says I am not in charge, not the boss of my own life. Yet, as Christians, we aren’t meant to live under the authority of our own rule. We have a King!

The Kingship of Jesus is highlighted in Matthew’s account of the crucifixion and resurrection. It was a Roman custom to name the crime of the offender on a plaque and place it above the criminal’s head as He hung on the cross. Because Pilate said Jesus had committed no real crime, he ordered this inscription instead:

“This is Jesus, the King of the Jews” (Matthew 27:37).

It was a label given in contempt that could not have been more correct.

Scripture tells us Jesus is not only King of the Jews, but He is the King. As Revelation 19:16 says, “he has a name written on his robe on his thigh: King of Kings and LORD of Lords.” Still, I more often refer to Jesus as my Savior rather than my King. Charles Spurgeon says this is our tendency: “Men might be willing for Christ to save them, but not for Him to reign over them.”

Acknowledging that Jesus reigns over me means acknowledging that I am not in control. But His kingship also means He is involved in the everyday—that His sovereignty covers even the nitty gritty of life. There is accountability that says we are called to a new, gospel way of living, and there is grace that says we aren’t doing this on our own. Both threaten our autonomy.

So we have to ask ourselves: Who’s the boss here? Me or Jesus?

When we bow to Jesus as our King, we receive what we are most afraid of losing in the face of authority: freedom. Real freedom.

“So if the Son sets you free, you really will be free” (John 8:36).

That’s the type of freedom I want. Not the kind that creates the illusion of my own control, but the kind that comes with the cross. The kind that comes with surrendering to the power that conquered death forever and rose victorious from the grave.

This is Jesus. He is the Son of God, the King of the Jews, the Savior of the world—and He is also the King of me.

The angel told the women, “Don’t be afraid, because I know you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. He is not here. For he has risen, just as he said.”
Matthew 28:5-6

SRT-Matthew-Instagram-26

27 thoughts on "Jesus Is Risen"

1. Portia says:

Not a coincidence that Jesus’ authority was this past Sunday’s preaching topic. I know that this is something God is really trying to get through to me. God reveal to me what area(s) of my life that I’m not falling under your authority so that I may confess, repent, be transformed, & keep moving forward in grace!

2. Lindsey Bailey says:

Lately, God has put this simple, but powerful prayer on my heart. ‘Lord, you have authority over my life, over my day and over me.’ Simply making this declaration of faith out loud each day has made a big impact.

3. KC Derond says:

AMEN!!

4. Jo Gistand says:

This ties in so nicely with the very first reading on authority. In giving up my own authority in my life, I’m gaining so so so much freedom in Christ! I pray that the Holy Spirit continues to soften my heart and allows jesus to REIGN over me. He is risen, just like he said, and he is my King, the King of Jews, and King of Kings.

5. Susan says:

And He is the King of Me!

6. Bethany Elizabeth Brown says:

It’s interesting that you submit this passage for today. I have been a Christian since the age of 8, and I don’t believe I’ve discovered real freedom until about this time last week. The writer of this commentary wrote as though she was writing from my heart. I grew up much like you! The youngest child of three, born in March, so naturally very headstrong, and did not like to be told, “No, you cannot!” This has been a battle within myself since childhood. I believe we all need that sense of freedom. Yet, we all, probably due to the way our society is designed, crave structure and some sense of certainty. In the course of my life, in my quest to know Christ, I’ve struggled with really knowing he came to set me FREE. And that “whoever the Son of Man has set free is free indeed!”

I got my hair colored and styled by one of my favorite people in the world last week. I almost didn’t go, because I felt like I didn’t deserve it. I hardly ever feel good about letting myself do things like this. (It’s a me-thing.) I’m on this new health kick with the new year, a bit guarded in my emotions sometimes, and I know when you go to get your hair done, they love you so much they want to know everything. Because of what I’ve been through, and hoping to save money, I still live with my parents. Prior to going to get my hair fixed, I got on Pinterest to find the style I liked, by the request of my stylist. I’ve always loved Kate Middleton’s style and class, so I was searching for pictures of her current do. In my search, I came across something on there that described the new Cinderella concept from a few years back: “Have courage and be kind.” Only this time, it said something to the effect of, “but if the guy is a jerk, give him what he deserves.” I don’t know why that set me back so. Sometimes I struggle so with the concept of what it means to really let go. I don’t believe I’m a jerk, and while I was dating the guy, I can only see now, that I really did sort of build my life around him and his desires for me. I’d never hurt him, so reading this was like, “Wow.” It initially upset me, because I’d never really fight with him, but give in, and I didn’t know how to process the concept of “give it to him” or apply it to my life. He’s been out of my life since two years ago this April. The Pinterest concept was of world-standard, yet it was in my face, unavoidable. I’ve found myself seeking to be much like a Kate Middleton most of my days, who seems perfect in just about any way, but loved for exactly who she is. I’ve always desired this. Just about like any girl. :For whoever the Son of Man has set free, is free indeed.” I shared this once with a friend who was struggling to know Christ. I didn’t even really know what it meant myself. Like you say, it’s a bit scary, I believe to feel truly, TRULY free. It’s a loose feeling. It’s odd. It’s not something that I’m used to at all! But the sweet truth of it is that it’s TRUE! We really are FREE. REALLY FREE. Wow. To think I squabbled with my mother over not feeling worthy enough to go get my hair done. When I came back. I felt lifted, and oddly, this was the scripture the Lord brought to mind! Thank you SO MUCH for this. I pray to be able to continually apply this concept to my life from here ahead.

I bought, rather my parents, bought me a She Reads Truth Bible on a trip out of town to see the doctor several months ago. Part of the story undisclosed is that I was diagnosed with OCD in March of 2016. I was a yes, still am a bit of a yes girl. A seminary student in love with her next door neighbor, trying to focus on school, encouraged to have a job and work through my studies and never let anyone down. This caught up with me pretty quick. The fact that I couldn’t recognize my own human limitations caused a mental and physical need for me to leave school. Hindsight is 2020, and oh boy, if I had known of She Reads Truth back then! So thankful for you now! God’s timing is perfect!

Jesus didn’t come for us to be held captive to any one person or feeling, to be domineered over, or to ask anyone’s permission for happiness. He truly came to set us FREE. Praise GOD. I will tell you that your Bible has led me to the passage of Joshua 21:45, multiple times this week, just seeking God’s word on my own: “None of the good promises the Lord had made to the house of Israel failed. Everything was fulfilled.” Everything. If I may quote what you wrote in the commentary above this:

“God’s promises are our foundation. He fulfills His every word. We can cling to His promises as we wander in the desert and fight the enemy. We can count on Him to come through.” We can COUNT on Him. I love that. God HAS to keep his promises. It’s against His character to do anything different! I’m sorry I ever doubted!

Thank you so much for She Reads Truth and the affirmation it gives to our generation, who is desperately seeking Christ, his joy, and his real freedom. Please continue to pray for me and my family. I have recently decided to go back to school and pursue Culinary Arts! I am making friends, readjusting to this schedule, but excited about the possibilities it holds. I hope to open a little hometown bakery one day. God is opening doors. I’m finally open now to the concept of being myself, and unashamed of it! God bless you in your ministry. I’ll be coming back! Amen.

1. She Reads Truth says:

Wow! Bethany thank you so much for being willing to share your story with us here. It is so awesome to see the ways that God is working through your life and encouraging you through His Word. We’re so grateful to have you as a part of this community reading along with us. – The SRT Team

2. Melanie says:

What a beautiful testimony! Prayers for you as you move forward <3

3. Kersti says:

What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing! Your faith has greatly encouraged me! ❤️

4. Jo L says:

Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing such a beautiful testimony Bethany. It has strongly encouraged and uplifted me. You are a strong and awesome girl ♥️ The Lord loves you so much. All the best for the bakery!!

7. Lauren Ward says:

What a paradigm shift to begin defining true freedom as peace + rest, not autonomy! We can rest in the knowledge that we are not in control, but that He is, and He has saved and redeemed us and is our Protector forever. Thank you for this writing! I could never quite condense what Biblical freedom means into a sentence, but this made it plain.