Jesus Forgives

from the Matthew reading plan

Matthew 9:1-38, Numbers 19:11-21, Hosea 2:19-20

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Scripture Reading: Matthew 9:1-38, Numbers 19:11-21, Hosea 2:19-20

I committed an embarrassing crime in my favorite pair of boots. With double-knotted laces and heels worn from hopscotch, those shoes supported me during some of my best moments, from resting on foot pedals during piano recitals to walking across the stage to accept awards for reading and attendance. They were impressive shoes for an equally impressive first grader, or so I thought.

And then one day, I stepped off the school bus and sat at the kitchen table to begin my homework. From here, the details get a little foggy. All I know is that a light-hearted family conversation escalated to a hearty quarrel when I stood up, angrily seeking my next victim. Without my brain’s permission, my foot swung backward to gain momentum and forward to meet a target. I kicked a hole in my parents’ couch—not a small one, either.

While my parents were certainly less than pleased, they soon realized this deed came with a built-in punishment. After the couch had to be moved down the stairs, out the door, and across town to be repaired, I would have to explain to any guests why we temporarily had no place for them to sit.

“Oh, the couch? I broke it.”

When I remember this story, I sometimes wonder if we’re all walking around with our own versions of kicked-in couches, whatever they may be, always aware of our brokenness.

My family? We’re struggling.
My job? It’s difficult.
My body? It’s hurting.
My heart? It’s suffering.
My circumstances? They’re unfair.

In Matthew 9, we find person after person in physical suffering, and yet, Jesus’ response to each one is very similar.

“Have courage, your sins are forgiven” (v. 2).
“Get up and walk” (v. 6).
“Have courage, your faith has saved you” (v. 22).
“Let it be done according to your faith” (v. 29).

Here, Jesus isn’t telling us to brush ourselves off from the hurt; He is showing us what it means to be whole again. It’s more than the healing of our bodies, our families, or any other shattered piece we may be holding. True healing can only be found through forgiveness, and ultimately, through Jesus’ broken body and shed blood. He knew that “it is not those who are well who need a doctor, but those who are sick… For [He] didn’t come to call the righteous, but sinners (Matthew 9:12-13).

Jesus calls out a truth that maybe we’re too afraid or wrapped up in our circumstances to admit: Broken lives require faith. We may not know what to do with broken pieces and messy circumstances, but He certainly knows what to do with the bold faith of His children. Jesus uses the broken pieces to draw us to His wholeness.

SRT-Matthew-Instagram-8

78 thoughts on "Jesus Forgives"

1. Chaney Shadrock says:

Thank you, Jesus.

2. Alex Yearley says:

This is often my response to those that question how I could believe in a Father that “allows” things like rape, murder, cancer, etc. into the world. Without all of these terrible things, we have no reason to seek and embrace the Lord. Things were never meant to be easy, they were meant to be a challenge of our dedication and our faith. And what a beautiful thing to navigate. I am so thankful for the broken pieces that the Lord can use to draw me closer to Him. ♥️

3. Alina says:

Broken lives require faith, thank you Jesus for restoring my soul, for keeping me strong, I want to look away from my weaknesses and look at You, my beautiful Savior! what a great reminder today! Amen!

4. Sara Moore says:

It is so amazing that Jesus asks so little of us. We get so caught up in never being able to do enough, yet all he asks is faith and belief and then others should see it in us.

1. Julie Waldvogel says:

It is truly wonderful – Amen!

5. Lynne Palumbo says:

Lynne P. My favorite reading….It just reminds me that I’m always overthinking what Jesus tells us. Jesus actually has made it so easy for us even after all that he sacrificed….ask and you will receive, Believe in me and all your prayers will be answered, you will be with me for eternity, it’s so simply. Jesus performed so many miracles for people who just trusted and believed in him. I think that’s exactly what Jesus wants from all of us, a drama free relationship, just trust and believe as he asks, and as he has shown through his miracles to those who just trusted and believed in him, no questions asked.

6. Rachel AnneDwyer says:

Love the quote- Broken lives require faith… I certainly face the temptation when looking at my life and seeing my imperfections to do better, to try better. But no amount of doing or trying can add up to the gift of grace that Jesus gives me. As I look to him and accept his gift I know that I am being changed from glory to glory. I remind myself daily that I do not need to be perfect only present for Jesus to change me and to use me.

1. Diarra says:

Amen and Amen!

2. Maria Tenereillo says:

Love this

3. Josephine Bayer says:

Your perspective is so encouraging and convicting. Thank you!

7. Skye Younger says:

Asking for prayer. I am going through great emotional pain and struggling very much in my marriage. I want to be made Whole again.

1. Laura says:

Praying for you Skye.

2. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Skye, thank you for sharing. We are keeping you in our prayers today, for emotional healing and peace, and we’re so grateful to have you as a part of our community. – Abby, The SRT Team

8. Sabrina says:

‘Broken lives require faith.’ What a simple and powerful statement! I’ve been struggling so much to feel confident in who I am as a mother, wife, and individual. I know my source is Christ’s Word, but my circumstances often feel louder, dragging me down on the road to ‘self betterment’. I loved reading about the woman in the crowd today. She was broken, but knew she only needed to touch the fringe of Jesus to be healed. But Jesus gave her so much more– He looked at her with love and spoke encouragement over her. Praying for the courage to stand firm in our faith as sisters today!

1. Akua-Sodio Flanagan says:

Hi Sabrina,
      I’ve been struggling with the same things. Wanting to be a better, wife, mother, friend, follower of Christ,and my struggles with my feelings about my future in regards to my retirement from the military. So many thkughts, doubts and fear I want to really more on my faith. My faith in the Lord. Thank you for sharing

Akua