Jesus Forgives

from the Matthew reading plan

Matthew 9:1-38, Numbers 19:11-21, Hosea 2:19-20

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Scripture Reading: Matthew 9:1-38, Numbers 19:11-21, Hosea 2:19-20

I committed an embarrassing crime in my favorite pair of boots. With double-knotted laces and heels worn from hopscotch, those shoes supported me during some of my best moments, from resting on foot pedals during piano recitals to walking across the stage to accept awards for reading and attendance. They were impressive shoes for an equally impressive first grader, or so I thought.

And then one day, I stepped off the school bus and sat at the kitchen table to begin my homework. From here, the details get a little foggy. All I know is that a light-hearted family conversation escalated to a hearty quarrel when I stood up, angrily seeking my next victim. Without my brain’s permission, my foot swung backward to gain momentum and forward to meet a target. I kicked a hole in my parents’ couch—not a small one, either.

While my parents were certainly less than pleased, they soon realized this deed came with a built-in punishment. After the couch had to be moved down the stairs, out the door, and across town to be repaired, I would have to explain to any guests why we temporarily had no place for them to sit.

“Oh, the couch? I broke it.”

When I remember this story, I sometimes wonder if we’re all walking around with our own versions of kicked-in couches, whatever they may be, always aware of our brokenness.

My family? We’re struggling.
My job? It’s difficult.
My body? It’s hurting.
My heart? It’s suffering.
My circumstances? They’re unfair.

In Matthew 9, we find person after person in physical suffering, and yet, Jesus’ response to each one is very similar.

“Have courage, your sins are forgiven” (v. 2).
“Get up and walk” (v. 6).
“Have courage, your faith has saved you” (v. 22).
“Let it be done according to your faith” (v. 29).

Here, Jesus isn’t telling us to brush ourselves off from the hurt; He is showing us what it means to be whole again. It’s more than the healing of our bodies, our families, or any other shattered piece we may be holding. True healing can only be found through forgiveness, and ultimately, through Jesus’ broken body and shed blood. He knew that “it is not those who are well who need a doctor, but those who are sick… For [He] didn’t come to call the righteous, but sinners (Matthew 9:12-13).

Jesus calls out a truth that maybe we’re too afraid or wrapped up in our circumstances to admit: Broken lives require faith. We may not know what to do with broken pieces and messy circumstances, but He certainly knows what to do with the bold faith of His children. Jesus uses the broken pieces to draw us to His wholeness.

SRT-Matthew-Instagram-8

78 thoughts on "Jesus Forgives"

1. Cindy Wright says:

“Broken lives require faith.” I firmly believe this. And yet I find that in my current circumstances, this is probably much easier for me than others. Consider the person who doesn’t know when or where they will receive their next meal? The spouse who is abused. The person who has nowhere to sleep tonight in the cold. In these miracles in chapter 9, Jesus was healing a physical need each time. May I be aware of those in my life who are in need so that they may also be able to draw strength from Jesus through their faith.

2. Andrea Lopez says:

“Jesus uses the broken pieces (of our lives) to draw us closer to wholeness.” Such previous words that I needed to hear today. Thank you!

3. Jennifer Ciarletta says:

As I read this today and catch up on a few days I asked the Lord to clarify something to me. I’ve struggled with the notion of grace a lot this year because I think as Christians we bat that term around a lot without counting the costs. It’s weighty. It’s costly. And it does not come freely. I sin and I want grace. I see sin in the world and I’m told to extend grace ~ not to judge. But here’s the rub; sin has been committed – not against me but against the King of Kings. I’m a rule follower by nature. I like order. I can tend to be a perfectionist. Oftentimes that means I like accountability. That can come across as not being willing to offer grace. It’s not that; it’s just that the grace given me by Jesus cost Him His life. My sin is costly. Our faith requires more than Jesus giving me His unmerited favor ~ it requires me to reach for it with everything I have: To pursue Him with all of my strength even when I am at the end of myself: To know that my healing and wholeness only comes from Him. So as I offer grace, I’m praying for a glimpse of the Father’s love so that the receiver sees the real Giver of Grace. I pray that my need for checks and balances gives way to salt and light, to a love that cannot be mustered up no matter how hard I try, to a balance sheet that says “PAID-DEBT FREE AND CLEAR.” I pray that I walk in that freedom and not the shackles of perfectionism that I can never truly attain. More importantly, I pray I walk in the gratitude of that and can offer grace to others so they see Him and not me. Jesus, I need thee- every hour I need thee.

1. Jackie Price says:

Your words are mine. I see myself in everything you wrote, including the needs. Amen!

2. Irina says:

So wonderfully said and explained. It’s about me as well. Thank you!

3. Jen K says:

So wonderfully said. I’ll add for me, that when grace is extended to me by friends, family, colleagues, and strangers, that I too recognize and thank “the real Giver of Grace,” and not just the human delivering the message. Thank you for the reminder!

4. Kristen Hembree says:

Any Caedmon’s Call fans out there? This passage makes me think of their song “Love Alone”. Jesus, swing Your robe down low. ❤️

1. Kim Whelan says:

❤️

5. Melissa says:

This reminds me of the song “Gracefully Broken”; we are all broken in some way but through the grace of Jesus Christ we are made whole again when we open our hearts to Him.

This was a great reminder today that I need Jesus – there is no other way but through Him!

1. Jessi says:

Yes! Amen

6. Melanie says:

I love the thought that in our messiness- God is there telling us Have courage daughter your faith has saved you (Matthew 9:22). I take great comfort in knowing that God is still working on me. Makes me think of potter’s clay. Having faith in EVERY circumstance goes against the human nature but I know that I am in the hands of the One who made the very stars in the sky. I am reminded of another passage in Matthew where Jesus is teaching and He speaks of the birds of the air and how why do we worry when He takes care of the birds of the air.
    I am in awe of the fact that no matter what life brings us, we are in HIS hands. It is not us that are in control but Him alone. Just that alone makes everything better . “Lord let it not be our will but YOUR will be done in our lives”

7. Kelly Wilson says:

Have courage daughter your faith has saved you (Matthew 9:22) -I will have childlike faith in EVERY circumstance no matter how bleak or difficult because I know my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ has me in his hands. Your will Lord, your will.

8. Megan says:

I have felt so broken lately- as if there’s no hope for my heart and my sin. I am the one that Jesus sits with and says your faith has healed you. Jesus is always by my side and will continue to be there despite my sins. I pray Lord that you will heal my heart and forgive my sins! I run after you, seeking to touch you- knowing that you have the power to forgive my sins and make me New again. You are healer. You are mighty. And you see me as your child! Praise be to the God from whom all blessings flow!