Jesus Is Born

from the Matthew reading plan

Matthew 1:1-25, Matthew 2:1-23, Isaiah 9:2-7, Isaiah 11:1-9, Jeremiah 31:15

BY Amanda Bible Williams

Scripture Reading: Matthew 1:1-25, Matthew 2:1-23, Isaiah 9:2-7, Isaiah 11:1-9, Jeremiah 31:15

“Who is Jesus?”

They all asked the question. Those who walked the streets with Jesus, who encountered His teaching in the synagogues, who witnessed Him healing the sick and eating with sinners—they were compelled to understand who this man was. That was 2,000 years ago. And here we are, asking the same question today.

Even now, sitting in my Nashville office, surrounded by modern technology and Western comforts, I can think of no more foundational question to ask. The answer frames what I believe about God. It frames what I know about myself and how I view the world around me. And, on one hand, my response as a Christian is simple: Jesus is the Son of God. But because that is true, is there not infinitely more to know?

Theologian Charles Hodge said, “The gospel is so simple that small children can understand it, and it is so profound that studies by the wisest theologians will never exhaust its riches.” I believe he’s right, and I believe the same is true with the central figure of that gospel, the person of Jesus Christ. We cannot exhaust the depth of Him, but we can know Him.

The Gospel of Matthew is a great place to start.

Beginning with a genealogy, Matthew lays out his account of who Jesus is: the Messiah that the Jewish people—and the world—had been waiting for. He presents Jesus as the Son of God, born of the Holy Spirit, baptized by a prophet, and tempted by the devil. He shows Jesus as teacher, healer, servant, and friend—a man who walked the earth but was not bound by it.

In telling us who Jesus is, Matthew tells the story of our salvation.

It is a story written from the foundation of the world (Matthew 25:34). In these two chapters alone, our historian Matthew references five Old Testament prophecies fulfilled in Christ’s birth (1:22; 2:5, 15, 17, 23). He is Immanuel, “God with us,” the one who “will save his people from their sins” (1:23, 21). Jesus is not just part of this story—He is the story.

I hope you’ll read along with us these next four weeks as we explore Matthew’s Gospel together and discover the true answers to that all-important question. Jesus is the Son of God. He is the Savior, the Christ, the Messiah.

This is the story Matthew tells. This is Jesus.

SRT-Matthew-instagram-1

289 thoughts on "Jesus Is Born"

1. Dana Shea says:

Matthew has always been one of my favorite books in the Bible and now reading this devotion, I’m learning more and more about Jesus and I can’t be more excited to continue learning through this devotion!

2. Gwen Toay says:

I had the honor of reading Matthew 11: 28-30 at my Grandma’s funeral out of her own bible a few days ago (one of the many highlighted verses of hers). She was such a wonderful example of a woman who walked with Christ everyday of her life. I haven’t spent much time in the book of Matthew, but as this is my first SRT study, it felt right because of my Grandma Betty. ❤️

1. Taylor says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful example of Christ’s love and perfect intervention to bring Matthew into your life right now. Welcome to the community <3

3. Kate says:

This is the first guided Bible study I’ve ever done. I have read and studied on my own before. Most of my focus in the past has been on Matthew, so I thought that would be a good place to start when selecting from the studies on your site. It’s amazing to me how there is so much depth to the Gospel that we can read the same book or the same passages more than once and something new will stand out to us almost every time depending on where we are in our lives. I’m looking forward to continuing this for the next 4 weeks.

4. Aileen says:

Just started this plan, excited to learn more about my Savior

1. She Reads Truth says:

We’re so glad that you’re here Aileen! -Margot, The SRT Team

5. Sara Fields says:

Just started my first SRT study and I’m so excited! I love how Matthew tells in verse 15 that Herod never figured out where Jesus was. It’s interesting that in verse 16-18 it tells of how Herod tried to kill Jesus by killing two year old boys and under, yet in vs 19 it says that “when Herod died…” obviously it points out how God’s plans and his ways are SO much higher than what we think is best. No human is able to outsmart God, and if they try to they fail. Thank you Lord for your plans!

6. Anna Chviedar says:

It is interesting that Matthew wrote to the Jews, and in these 2 passages he kinda stresses how the gentiles have always been part of the pictures. He mentions the women in his genealogy who were gentiles, the wise men are gentiles. It’s interesting that these gentile wise men came specifically to worship the Judean King. God have always been inclusive, He’s always had the same plan for people. It’s us who need to be filled with the understanding of God so that He can work out His peace on earth.

7. Maureen Blaha says:

Joann I just started today also!! I’m so excited :)

8. Joann says:

Hello everyone! Just started on this study today and it’s my first SRT study! Am very excited and can’t wait to know more about Jesus!