Salt and Light

from the The Parables of Jesus reading plan

Luke 14:25-34, Matthew 5:13-16, Luke 11:33-36

BY She Reads Truth

In this study of the Parables of Jesus, we are reading many of the stories Jesus used to teach hearers about how to live as His followers. Each day we’ll read parables in their immediate context, focusing on a different category of parables each week. Then we will work through a series of questions to understand the meaning of the text and take to heart the “secrets of the kingdom.”

Editor’s Note: In this Parables study, Jesus Himself is telling us stories—stories He wants us to reflect on and process. Rather than asking our writers to write their own stories about Jesus’ stories, we thought it would serve you and the text better to provide questions to help you dig into the meaning of each day’s parable. If you find a parable or passage particularly confusing, stop and pray. Ask the Lord to reveal Himself to you in His Word, and thank Him that we can know Him without knowing all the answers to our questions.

Week 3: Parables about following Jesus

Many of the parables Jesus told have to do with what it means to follow Him in this life. Addressing topics from anxiety and fear, to compassion for our neighbors and commitment to the truth, Jesus uses common scenarios and familiar places to teach His disciples how to live as His people. Each parable in this week’s daily readings speaks to the Christian life in some way. Use the questions below to help you dig deeper into Jesus’ teaching.

Day 19 Reading: Luke 14:25-34, Matthew 5:13-16, Luke 11:33-36

Questions:

2. What problem is Jesus responding to with His parables about salt and light?

3. What is the central point of these parables?

4. What is your response to these parables?

64 thoughts on "Salt and Light"

1. Tonia says:

As I sit in the light of the rising sun this morning. I realized that when i am struck by a sun beam I often stop and bask, soaking up the warmth and light. And then eventually move on carrying that and find myself lighter brighter as I go. May that be true of my heart and life – stopping and basking in the light of the Son so He can move me to bring that light. Not what I can do, not my light but His in me because I have soaked it up over and over.
    Remind us to be still and know you are God. And then from there bring your light to the darkness. Amen.

2. Sarah D. says:

Salt and light. Lord let me shine your light and help others recognize a thirst for you. Would really appreciate your prayers today friends, my roommate and I are going to go out and try to share the Gospel with someone. I mentioned the other day that we’re required to do it for an evangelism class, but I really don’t like how it feels forced. I want to be intentional and do it, not because I need to get the grade, but because I want to share what God has done in my life and share how amazing He is. Please pray that we wouldn’t be nervous or afraid and that God would show us who He wants us to share the Gospel with. Thank you guys!! ❤️

1. Cathy says:

Sarah, I am certain if you pray for the Holy Spirit to lead you to someone who needs to hear your word OR see your actions you will know. Salt and light! Sometimes your actions speak even louder than your words. If you are talking to someone and they seem to need prayer simply ask them if you can pray for them. Praying for an amazing opportunity for you. Adjust those antenna

1. Terri says:

Amen Cathy. Praying for them and telling them something God has done for you. In an age of science fiction making God real helps draw them to him.

2. Diana Davis says:

I just prayed for you! May your heart be in the right place and your passion for sharing God not dim with earthly fears.

3. Irina says:

Always a great reminder, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Let them see our good works, but give God the glory… not us.

Also, Jesus talks about being careful not to lose our saltiness nor let our light grow dim. Salt preserves, seasons, heals, and purifies/disinfects. Our words and actions must preserve His Word, season the Good News, heal in His name, and purify others. Light removes darkness; darkness no longer exists in the presence of light. We must be this light, by encouraging, exposing, and showing the way for others.

1. Lehua K. says:

Thank you Irina for the explanation you provided on salt. I was a little boggled with the question on how to interpret it, but it makes so much sense now!

4. AliceV says:

Oh, these passages hit close to home today. I am one of eight siblings, raised in a legalistic religion. One where the beauty and truth of the Gospel wasn’t taught. We learned that we needed to be “good people” and do good works to get to Heaven.

All my siblings and I rejected “religion.” Praise be to God that He continued to pursue me and I came to know and trust Jesus as my Savior. While my siblings knew of my faith, I skirted around it when I was with them. We are very close…I love them, wanted to fit in, not be rejected by them. I was a coward.

But God pressed on me that I needed to share the Gospel and let them know the Truth. After putting it off for months, due to fear of rejection and loss of relationship, I did what God clearly asked me to do. I have heard back from three of my siblings, all rejected the Gospel. I sense a break in our relationship and I don’t believe it will be the same moving forward.

So reading Luke 14:26, “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple,” brought me to tears this morning. And while the enemy would like to convince me that they will never come to faith in the Lord Jesus, I will continue to entrust them to the Lord and ask that He pursue them as He pursued me. With the help of the Holy Spirit, I can be salt and light to them, loving them even amidst rejection.

Praise you, Lord, for your mercy and love and for the forgiveness I have in Christ. Open the eyes of my beloved brothers and sisters. Convict them by the power of your Spirit of their need for Your Son. I pray and ask in His Name. Amen.

1. Terri says:

My siblings are not walking with the Lord. I know the difficulty sharing with them especially since I am the baby of the family. God says to me to keep on loving them unconditionally as He has loved me. Let the relationship be the same on your side as it was before “going forward”as much as possible.

2. Jerri says:

As I read this, my heart is burdened for you and your siblings! Thank you for your openness. I will be praying for you and your siblings!

3. AliceV says:

Thank you both very much. Alice

5. Laura says:

What stuck out at me the most is that salt becomes “useless” when it loses its saltiness. We are here for one reason and that is to spread the gospel to others and bring light to a dark world. If we lose that focus on furthering the Truth then we, too, become “useless” to Him. The idea of being useless to God brings my heart great concern! Yes, a little salt can add flavor but a lot of salt preserves and saves! A small light warms a room but a lot of light casts out darkness and banishes fear!

Lord, I ask for opportunities today to help preserve and save. I pray that I would be reminded that you give all of your children the power to cast out the darkness and fear through your Holy Spirit and that we are called to have a spirit of boldness.

Do not be a flickering flame but be on fire for him!

1. GramsieSue says:

Perfectly spoken! ❤️

2. Christina D. says:

Great encouragement. Love this Laura!

3. Terri says:

Too much salt can be caustic and ruin otherwise wonderful food. We must pray for wisdom as it says in James and the guidance of Holy Spirit in all that we do. Jesus approached different people in different ways.

1. Laura says:

❤️ praying for wisdom and guidance and boldness daily. Thanks!

4. Lyn says:

Is there something to be said for the fact that too much salt can burn and too much light can blind? Is there something to be said for the “proportional response”?

6. Leenda324 says:

Ever notice how salty foods make you thirsty? Being salt, I believe, also means that in being sprinkled about we have the purpose of making people thirsty for Jesus. Conversely, if salt loses its flavor, it’s good for nothing — and if we as Christians don’t act as salt we have lost our purpose. Lord, change my heart, so prone to wander, and let my purpose be at one with yours.

1. Genesis M says:

Interesting! I like this!

2. Lehua K. says:

I love this! Thank you :)

3. Emily says:

And Jesus is the Living Water!

7. KJ says:

1. Based on these parables, what does it mean to be salt? What does it mean to be light? Being salt is equated to being a Christian that helps bring out the best in others. Being light means showing others who THE Light is just by being (Be still and know that I am God) . . . so maybe be still and let others see God through you?

2. What problem is Jesus responding to with His parables about salt and light? Dont lose your flavor and passion for being a Christian. Dont give so much of your salt out that you have nothing left, dont grow apathetic.

3. What is the central point of these parables? Encouragement.

4. What is your response to these parables? For me, I take it as you dont have to do everything, just a little bit is more than enough. For through Jesus it is magnified.