The Rich Fool

from the The Parables of Jesus reading plan

Luke 12:1-34

BY She Reads Truth

In this study of the Parables of Jesus, we are reading many of the stories Jesus used to teach hearers about how to live as His followers. Each day we’ll read parables in their immediate context, focusing on a different category of parables each week. Then we will work through a series of questions to understand the meaning of the text and take to heart the “secrets of the kingdom.”

Editor’s Note: In this Parables study, Jesus Himself is telling us stories—stories He wants us to reflect on and process. Rather than asking our writers to write their own stories about Jesus’ stories, we thought it would serve you and the text better to provide questions to help you dig into the meaning of each day’s parable. If you find a parable or passage particularly confusing, stop and pray. Ask the Lord to reveal Himself to you in His Word, and thank Him that we can know Him without knowing all the answers to our questions.

Week 3: Parables about following Jesus

Many of the parables Jesus told have to do with what it means to follow Him in this life. Addressing topics from anxiety and fear, to compassion for our neighbors and commitment to the truth, Jesus uses common scenarios and familiar places to teach His disciples how to live as His people. Each parable in this week’s daily readings speaks to the Christian life in some way. Use the questions below to help you dig deeper into Jesus’ teaching.

Day 15 Reading: Luke 12:1-34

Questions:

1. What is anxiety, and where does it come from? Do you wrestle with it? How would you describe that struggle? How does the rich fool try to deal with potential anxiety?

2. How does Jesus respond to the problem of anxiety and control, and what are the outcomes of today’s parables?

3. What is the central point of these parables?

4. What is your response to these parables?

SRT-Parables-instagram15

59 thoughts on "The Rich Fool"

1. Kyleah Mindala says:

This was just what I️ needed. I’ve read this parable before but it sunk in deeper and resonated more than it every has in my mind and soul. It’s right in line with my focus this year to live with intention and to get rid of all the stuff and possessions that steal my time and joy!

2. Alisa says:

This is the song we need to remember when all the anxieties of the world come rushing in. He already knows all of the things. Where you are going to college, who will take care of your kids, how the bills will be paid and every single teeny detail in between. https://youtu.be/r6NfOJl26F4

Also, in our homeschool curriculum we are reading about George Muller. Look him up. He was a man who lived in the 1800s in England. As a pastor and missionary, he chose to trust God for all provision. He didn’t keep any extra money or possessions so that he was always fully trusting in God for all of his needs, including his next meal. He just prayed. I don’t know that in today’s world this is the way to do it, as I do believe being prepared is wise, but his example is certainly convicting.

3. Amie says:

I have suffered from chronic anxiety my whole life. I tried everything but couldn’t break through it and while I was Christian, nothing I was doing to further my walk with God was helping. But I believe God has been walking with me to this vet moment, and as I was being prayed for the woman told me God said that my time has come. In that moment I felt the Holy Spirit wash over me and I could barely stand. God broke the stronghold of anxiety and depression in my mind that the enemy had been building since the day I was born, I have been over a month without an anxiety episode and am clinging on to the words in today’s parable for dear life, because for the first time in my life, I am free and I know my father will provide for me! Hallelujah Jesus, you are a good good father!

1. Abby says:

Amazing!! While the war may not be totally over, a huge battle has been won. Amazing how God can so easily wipe away a problem that we can work our whole lives to conquer. What a blessing to have Him on our side. He is a good, good Father, indeed!

2. Leah Rae says:

Hallelujah!!

3. Annab says:

Thank you for sharing this, I love hearing stories of where people have felt Gods presence. It is a great reminder that He is able and He still moves. Praying that you continue to walk in freedom from anxiety!

4. Cori says:

“One’s life is not in the abundance of his possessions.” Hah! Happy Cyber Monday!

5. Allison Joy says:

Do I struggle with anxiety? Yes. Oh yes. My mind has a tendency to think of both extremes… good, and bad. And even though I know neither is likely to happen, I tend to dwell on the extremes. I’ve shared this multiple times here, but one of my life verses is I Peter 5:7. Casting all your cares upon Him, because He cares for you. They are such simple words, and yet it’s so hard to do sometimes.

And now, a bit of a funny. I have a Bible verse a day calendar at my office, and one day, the verse was Luke 12:19, where it says, “And I’ll say to myself, ‘You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.'” And I kept thinking, Nice motivational verse… except for the fact that the very next verse says that he’s going to die. Context. It’s important. :)

6. Diane Huntsman says:

Thank you for sharing!! What a hard battle! Thankful that you have found balance oh sounds like!! It’s so difficult to not be overly consumed with our exterior selves in this culture of looks based era.. thank you again for sharing!!

7. Emily says:

This was a good way to get right at the issue today. I was feeling a little antsy, not fully knowing why, but realizing I had a class presentation later today + thinking of everything this week holds + the unnecessary pressures I try to pick up and bear.

Reading the words, “What is anxiety, and where does it come from?” confirmed right away that I was sitting in a bit of anxiety, and was an even better reminder that when we are feeling that way we are able to call upon Jesus and rest in him.

Thankful for God’s grace, and at times when my thoughts want to run wild He is there to calm me down. Thankful for God’s peace and care for me – for all of us!

8. Dee says:

I really needed this. I’m searching for a job and no one has even called me back for an interview. I have gotten my resume reviewed and revised so many times i can’t even count and i have become to anxious. I’m trying to drop the load of anxiety on his but it’s hard.

1. Heather64 says:

Hi Dee
      I too am in the same situation as you. I know the anxiety you are feeling. It is something I have to give to the Lord daily. God is so good and loves us so much that He wants nothing but the best for us. He has that perfect job out there for us. I’ll be praying for you.