Do Not Worry

from the The Sermon on the Mount reading plan

Matthew 6:25-34, Psalm 147:7-11, Philippians 4:4-7, 1 Peter 5:6-11

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Matthew 6:25-34, Psalm 147:7-11, Philippians 4:4-7, 1 Peter 5:6-11

It rained hard today, soaking into the summer skin of Texas, the red dirt and rolling hills. I’ve been saying for days I needed to water the Blue Salvias, even though they’re drought-resistant. They are drooping and limp. I brushed past them yesterday and saw small blue bits floating down as I did. It is easy to believe I alone am their savior, their maker. That I must breathe life into them, coddle them into adulthood, water them in the evening, and watch them at noonday when the sun is highest and hottest. But it rained hard today, and their soil is moist and wet, and their leaves shimmer with droplets clinging in earnest. They know they need the water. And they know their true Maker gives what they need.

In our home we have a saying: We must be faithful to the Word of God and not to an outcome. This is our way of encapsulating what Jesus said in Matthew 6:

“So don’t worry, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you. Therefore don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own” (vv. 31-34).

Jesus was essentially saying that, in seeking first the kingdom, things will work out—not necessarily according to our plans, but according to His. When our attention and affection are rightly placed on God, we find that while He might not always give us what we want, He always gives us what we need.

I caught myself in worry this past week, noting it because I am not normally a worrier. I plan, I think, I process, I pray, but rarely do I worry. I know nothing can be added to my life by worrying, but sometimes I think everything will be added to my life by planning, thinking, processing, and even praying. I think I am magician and maker and manipulator, and if I do it all well, I will add to my life and flourish.

But in doing so, I am deeply deceived. Nothing is added to my life by worrying or spending time fretting about how I think things ought to go. In the end, what is taken from my life is the time I spent on something other than faithfully seeking the kingdom of God.

God provides what we need, and if we don’t have it, we don’t need it. This is a hard thing to believe and an even harder thing to live out. We are prone to inventing needs: new couches and new houses, new cars, phones, bodies, and attitudes. It’s no wonder we’re also prone to worrying when those perceived needs are not met. We, like the flowers in my gardens, may droop, and we may wilt a little, we may suffer. But “after [we] have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called [us ] to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish [us]” (I Peter 5:10).

Today, the God of all grace has given you all the graces you need because He cares for you. He will Himself restore you, confirm you, strengthen you, and establish you—for His sake and your good.

SRT-SOTM-Instagram-22

Lore Ferguson Wilbert is a writer, thinker, and learner. She blogs at Sayable, and tweets and instagrams at @lorewilbert. She has a husband named Nate, a puppy named Harper Nelle, and too many books to read in one lifetime.

78 thoughts on "Do Not Worry"

1. Jen Nohrenberg says:

So freaking good

2. Becky says:

I’m not sure there’s ever a time when I DON’T need to reflect on this. I so easily jump from one worry to another. Unlike some of the Bible stories we go to, we don’t have direct prophecies or instructions from God that assure us of a particular outcome. Sometimes I feel that by NOT worrying, I’m not taking enough responsibility for how things are going. But worry adds nothing and I really like how the author points out that worry also takes away from faithfully pursuing God’s kingdom.

3. Matty says:

BS low – raotntaliiy high! Really good answer!

4. Kristen Clegs says:

I know I’m sometimes tempted to measure God by my perception of His provision, to love Him when the outcome meets my approval. But it is His faithfulness and goodness – whether in giving or withholding – that establish me, strengthen me, confirm me, restore me. I love her reminder: “Be faithful to the Word of God, not to an outcome.” I could also add: “Rest in the character of God, not in your circumstances.”

5. K says:

Needed this today! I am 6 weeks pregnant and after a year and a half of trying to get pregnant was met with anxiety instead of joy as I am now so fearful of miscarriage. I am praying everything goes smoothly and trying to remind myself that God’s plan is greater than mine.

1. Joyce says:

I am literally in the same boat as you, K! Almost down to the week. I catch myself anxiously saying, “Just stay pregnant, just stay pregnant” over and over again. I am so glad that Lord holds all of us in His hands.

1. Adrienne says:

Praying for you both- and your pregnancies. God is good. He hears your prayers before they even leave your lips. Take heart.

1. Loradae says:

That’s a sensible answer to a chliaenglng question

6. Allison Joy says:

1 Peter 5:7 has been one of my “life verses.” God often uses music to speak to me. My mom played piano for our church when she was pregnant with me, and so I have heard the old hymns literally from he womb, and I have always loved music. I learned “Cares Chorus” as a child from a Psalty tape, and it helped me get through some medical issues I had as a child. As an adult, God kind of brought the song back into my life. The Psalty version I learned as a kid is still my favorite. I love the harmony part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOMv8yiKkwM&t=7s

1. Jessica says:

I love that song!! I too learned it as a kid. Several months ago I was dealing with some anxiety, and I taught my two young daughters to sing that song with me. Singing it together brought a peace to my heart, and now they know how to ask Jesus for peace when they are scared.

7. Adela says:

Ladies, I want to ask for prayer! My husband and I have been living with my mom for 1 1/2 we have a 1 year old and my mom and sisters are a big help but we want and are ready for a space of our own, the thing is I feel so bad leaving my mom and sisters, my mom raised us alone and my husband and I both help financially to give her some relief. God put it in my heart for a 2 family home to purchase. So if you don’t mind just praying for my family and our petition. Thank you ladies! I’m sure God will provide and his timing is perfect ❤️

1. Nathalie Yanna says:

I will pray for your housing needs. And ask you to pray for me. I’m a 50 something former widow, & now newly wed, looking for a new home for my new husband & me. What do we need? May God direct us ..

1. Adela says:

Praying❤️❤️❤️

2. Heidi V. says:

I will pray for you. May God provide all that you need. He sees it. He knows it. He will.

1. Adela says:

Amen. Thank you!!

3. She Reads Truth says:

Hi Adela, thanks so much for being willing to share. We are praying for you and your family now and that God will bring provision and guidance! So glad to have you as a part of this community. – Abby, The SRT Team

1. Adela says:

Thank you so much! I am beyond grateful and blessed to be part of this community! I’ve learned so much and have grown in Christ, with your help!

8. Summer says:

I am continually amazed at how God’s word meets me in the right place and at the right time. I didn’t do my devotional this morning, rushed through a 13 hour work day, mad because my relief came late, ran through the grocery store trying to plan dinner, hurry to let the dogs out and feed them, get short with my husband and mad because the chicken for dinner is not turning out right. Finally decide to open up SRT and what a reading. How convicting today! Don’t worry about the chicken! Don’t worry that your job is stressful and that you want to make a good impression and it’s all so confusing! Don’t worry that you haven’t packed anything for your work trip in 24 hours. And don’t worry that you have to work an extra shift! It’s overwhelming for sure. But I like that line in the devotional where she talks about worry taking away time from getting closer to God. Sometimes I worry because I feel like it’s doing something. Awesome reading today.