The Beatitudes

from the The Sermon on the Mount reading plan

Matthew 5:1-12, Psalm 69:29-33, Isaiah 61:1-3, 1 Timothy 6:11-16

BY Andrea Lucado

Scripture Reading: Matthew 5:1-12, Psalm 69:29-33, Isaiah 61:1-3, 1 Timothy 6:11-16

Like many of you, I have spent the last week glued to the news about Hurricane Harvey. I live about two hours west of Houston and have been unable to wrap my mind around the devastation.

I was texting with a Houston friend yesterday, checking in to see how her neighborhood is faring. She and her family are okay, but she knows many who are not. While volunteering at an evacuee shelter, she noticed how exhausted many of the mothers looked. They had been sleeping in large rooms, on cots with multiple kids, babies, and families around. So my friend had the idea to set up a night nursery. She and other volunteers would take the nightshift, watching the small children and babies in one room, so tired moms could sleep in another.

Taking the night shift means nobody will see her volunteering, except for the babies whose diapers she will be changing, who she’ll sing lullabies to and rock to sleep. It is the opposite of glamorous work, but it is the exact definition of kingdom work. Quiet, unseen, faithful.

In theory, I love the Beatitudes. I love the way Jesus turned expectations upside down when describing who would inherit the kingdom of God and how. In practice, however, I live by a different set of attitudes.

Blessed are the poor in spirit? How about blessed is she who depends on herself for her own needs? She will go far in life, never relying on others.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness? How about blessed is she who hungers and thirsts for more social media followers? She will increase her platform.

Blessed are the peacemakers? How about blessed is she who is always right in an argument? She will be called “the winner.”

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake? How about blessed is she who does whatever she can to maintain her comfort? She will be… comfortable.

When I really look at my heart, I find these are my true attitudes, the place from which I live my life. I am individualistic, out for my own glory, trying to save face, and hesitant to step outside my own zone of comfort.

There is nothing like seeing your friend step up to take the night shift during a natural disaster to put your own heart in check. It forces me to ask, What am I seeking? My own glory or His? Who am I looking to for approval? Others or the Father?

Jesus entered into our world in an unexpected way. He wore no crown. He had no throne. He simply got to work. He took the night shift. He healed and performed miracles, as the Pharisees looked on and judged. He spoke truth even when His disciples abandoned Him because of it. And He died on a cross as Roman soldiers scoffed at the sign they placed above His head: King of the Jews.

Jesus turned it all upside down—the way we thought the King would come and the way we thought we could secure a seat at His table.

We want to be big fancy warriors standing by His side. But His command to us is to fall back in the ranks and tend to those who have fallen. To kneel down low, as He did for us. To take the night shift and “be glad and rejoice, because [our] reward is great in heaven” (Matthew 5:12). We may never receive a medal or a trophy for our work, but we have already received the greatest reward of them all: eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

SRT-SOTM-Instagram-2

107 thoughts on "The Beatitudes"

1. Erica Cross says:

Reading about the beatitudes always makes me think on a time when a friend from church once said “remember whose you are” which reminds me to always live life like Jesus because I am his and he’s given me the greatest gift!

2. Bevvie Byrom says:

I love this whole days study. Im a few months late reading it. But every word brings me conviction. The Father is speaking to my heart about my attitudes more than anything. Like i was telling my mom today. Sometimes i do the ‘right’ thing, but my attitude is totally wrong. Amazing how conviction brings us closer to God and how condemnation drives us further away from Him. So good.

3. Jo Nanth says:

Hi, where could i find the reflection questions?

1. Paloma Beltran says:

I would love for there to be reflection questions as well, but I don’t believe that they are on every study sadly.

4. Sheryl Potts says:

THIS. ❤️

5. Kristen Clegs says:

My summary of these verses came down to this:
    Blessed are all these, for CHRIST IS THEIRS! This is not a list of how-to achieve blessedness, but a list of the blessings that are already mine thru Christ!
    – The faint and fragile and impoverished in spirit are made happy by the promise of Christ’s Kingdom where there will be no tears, no lack, no weakness.
    – Those who mourn are made happy in the tender care and love of Christ who knows their tears and suffering.
    – The meek are made happy because they find their identity as heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ.
    – Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness are made happy when they gain Christ and are found in Him, for His righteousness is ENOUGH!

Christ is always the answer here. He is our reward, our identity, our righteousness, the One Who Knows. God Who Provides provided us His Son, who is all we need.

1. elaine says:

Yes! I needed to read this today!

2. Jennifer Montes says:

❤️❤️

6. Debbie says:

Where are the questions. I can’t find them.

1. Jdsomeone says:

I don’t see them anywhere either.

2. Emily says:

The questions are in the study book or in the study plan “Sermon on the Mount” that is on the SRT app. This post is a response/insight into day 2 of the study

1. Bianca says:

Hello, I still don’t see them on the app. The first page is the scriptures, then it’s the blog post response and then it’s the comments. Would you mind sharing exactly where they are located on the app. Don’t want to miss an important part of the Bible study. Thank you!

2. Chelsea says:

Did you find where the questions are located in the app?

3. Taylor says:

I still can’t find them either :/

4. elaine says:

I can’t either

3. Monica Harris says:

I have the app and bought the study plan via the app for Sermon on the amount but don’t see any reflective questions anywhere. Help?

7. These reflection questions are tough today… lots to process.

8. Heather L says:

I need help with the first question for today. Who is Jesus addressing and how does that help us interpret? Was it just the disciples? Or the crowd?

1. I think disciples. I think he left the crowd and took them to the side. I know… I am struggling today with these

2. Elaina says:

In Luke it says he stopped at a low place with a multitude of people. Some believe that each gospel, told to show Jesus in a different way, explains things differently here to show Jesus in a different light. Likely, still the same event. In Matthew where the author wants to portray Jesus as King it happens on a mountain. In Luke where Jesus is portrayed as for the people, he is in a low place( still on a mountain no doubt, as mountains have higher and lower places). The term disciples doesn’t mean here the inner 12. He calls many his disciples at times but they don’t all stay. Disciples just refers to one who follows. Since he doesn’t call anyone out by name he probably means all those who followed that day.

3. Kaylee says:

I’m pretty sure he was talking to believers and not just disciples.

4. KC Derond says:

I struggled with this too, but remember there is a difference between “disciples” and “apostles”. He was definitely addressing the crowd, not just His 12.
      Matthew 7:28 “When Jesus had finished saying these things, the CROWDS were amazed at His teaching”