The Beatitudes

from the The Sermon on the Mount reading plan

Matthew 5:1-12, Psalm 69:29-33, Isaiah 61:1-3, 1 Timothy 6:11-16

BY Andrea Lucado

Scripture Reading: Matthew 5:1-12, Psalm 69:29-33, Isaiah 61:1-3, 1 Timothy 6:11-16

Like many of you, I have spent the last week glued to the news about Hurricane Harvey. I live about two hours west of Houston and have been unable to wrap my mind around the devastation.

I was texting with a Houston friend yesterday, checking in to see how her neighborhood is faring. She and her family are okay, but she knows many who are not. While volunteering at an evacuee shelter, she noticed how exhausted many of the mothers looked. They had been sleeping in large rooms, on cots with multiple kids, babies, and families around. So my friend had the idea to set up a night nursery. She and other volunteers would take the nightshift, watching the small children and babies in one room, so tired moms could sleep in another.

Taking the night shift means nobody will see her volunteering, except for the babies whose diapers she will be changing, who she’ll sing lullabies to and rock to sleep. It is the opposite of glamorous work, but it is the exact definition of kingdom work. Quiet, unseen, faithful.

In theory, I love the Beatitudes. I love the way Jesus turned expectations upside down when describing who would inherit the kingdom of God and how. In practice, however, I live by a different set of attitudes.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness? How about blessed is she who hungers and thirsts for more social media followers? She will increase her platform.

Blessed are the peacemakers? How about blessed is she who is always right in an argument? She will be called “the winner.”

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake? How about blessed is she who does whatever she can to maintain her comfort? She will be… comfortable.

When I really look at my heart, I find these are my true attitudes, the place from which I live my life. I am individualistic, out for my own glory, trying to save face, and hesitant to step outside my own zone of comfort.

There is nothing like seeing your friend step up to take the night shift during a natural disaster to put your own heart in check. It forces me to ask, What am I seeking? My own glory or His? Who am I looking to for approval? Others or the Father?

Jesus entered into our world in an unexpected way. He wore no crown. He had no throne. He simply got to work. He took the night shift. He healed and performed miracles, as the Pharisees looked on and judged. He spoke truth even when His disciples abandoned Him because of it. And He died on a cross as Roman soldiers scoffed at the sign they placed above His head: King of the Jews.

Jesus turned it all upside down—the way we thought the King would come and the way we thought we could secure a seat at His table.

We want to be big fancy warriors standing by His side. But His command to us is to fall back in the ranks and tend to those who have fallen. To kneel down low, as He did for us. To take the night shift and “be glad and rejoice, because [our] reward is great in heaven” (Matthew 5:12). We may never receive a medal or a trophy for our work, but we have already received the greatest reward of them all: eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

SRT-SOTM-Instagram-2

107 thoughts on "The Beatitudes"

1. Clarene says:

The night shift. Many people think I am loosing my mind because of the night shifts I am taking in life. Let me assure you, nobody but God has been changing my desires, from self-seeking to seeking others. In all my ways, I will acknowledge Him and He shall direct my paths. Proverbs 3:6

2. Marisol S says:

I love the part of taking the night shift. It causes me to evaluate my service…when am I doing for other and why am I doing for others? Is it for others’ approval or is it for His glory? When the TRUTH reveals the truth to you sometimes it cuts you open and leaves you bleeding but THANK YOU GOD for your healing hands! For still loving us enough to stitch us up, mending us with each stitch, and putting us back together the only way you can!❤️

3. Elaine says:

Just catching up with this study because my week has been crazy to say the least. No, I’m not near the hurricanes or the wildfires or the earthquakes.. but I am near to the turbulence in my own life as a single mom of a special needs child. Seizures and rashes an ER visit a misdiagnosis, several sleepless nights in a row left me doubting Gods presence. Doubting his love for ME. Wondering why I pray so hard and so much only to never have my prayers answered. Frustration breeds doubt breeds turning away from God. I love how SRT is right here in my phone and I can turn to this community and find reassurance through His word and the devotionals your amazing team of women write. I appreciate the honesty and vulnerability of you all. Letting us out here struggling daily to see that even you, who more intimately know the word, are still not perfect. I need to reach for this app more than I reach for instagram where I find myself defeated by comparing my life to those I follow there. Prayers for this weary mama-heart appreciated. Thank you.

1. Liz says:

Elaine, I am praying for you and your little one!! Praying that your weary heart will be refreshed by God’s love and presence. Praying for healing and strength to continue. And I’m right there with you on the Instagram thing! I need to reach for this app over Facebook, insta, Snapchat, etc!!

1. Elaine says:

Thank you dear! ❤️

4. Madison says:

This speaks to me in such a direct way. I’m a nurse, and I literally work the nightshift in an ICU. In nursing, there is something called a “Daisy award” which is given to a nurse who was nominated by a patient or family member for doing above and beyond what they are expected to do. This is something I’ve always wanted and I catch myself getting so frustrated because it always seems to be awarded to those who work during the day, because they’re the ones who the family sees and interacts with the most, so they leave the biggest impression, since most of our patients are sedated. I always say to myself “if only they could see me at night taking care of their family member, maybe then I could get that award.” But this puts things into a different perspective for me as a Christian. I went into nursing because I felt called to serve people in their most vulnerable times. The fact that no one is there to see how good of a job I’m doing with my patient shouldn’t change my mindset and how I serve people. God sees me, and that’s all that matters. Being there for my patients and caring for them when they can’t care for themselves, and then being able to watch them improve, or simply sit with them as they pass on to the next life is the only reward I need.

1. Lindsey says:

Madison, thank you for your service to your patients. Nursing, especially on the night shift, is not easy, yet I can tell you love what you do. Your patients have hit the jack pot with you! Prayers being lifted up for you!

2. Liz says:

Oh girl! Been there! But even in the day shift, families don’t always notice the little things you do that make a hide difference! It’s definitely a struggle to leave myself behind and put others first 100% of the time!

5. Emily says:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit? How about blessed is she who depends on herself for her own needs? She will go far in life, never relying on others.”
    This is me. Life is spinning around me and I am marching with my fist in the air holding onto the idea that I am getting it all done and keeping it all together.
    Except I’m not. And I’m losing the nearness of my Savior in the process.
    Thank you for this study. I’m praying it takes root in my soul to stop marching and start walking in meekness.

1. Amen, Emily. I will be praying for both of us.

6. Leane says:

I love this reading. Puts it all back in perspective. Pride pushes me to seek big ways to spread God’s love forgetting humility. Taking the night shift will remind me to pause and examine my motives for what I am doing. Check my ego. Wonderful reminder.

7. Sarah says:

The night shift. Working and serving while no one can see… or know. This spoke to my heart today. The human side of me wants to be rewarded and praised for every little thing.
    I’m constantly seeking that approval. But when reading it in this way that Jesus worked the night shift… he didn’t come in a blaze of glory and blast his purpose for every one. He simply was born and when the time as right he started his work. So heart convicting today as I get ready to go teach my littles today.