Greet One Another

from the Romans reading plan

Romans 16:1-16, John 13:16, 1 Peter 5:14

BY Kaitlin Wernet

Scripture Reading: Romans 16:1-16, John 13:16, 1 Peter 5:14

Of all of the roles I’ve had in my life, my least favorite, without a doubt, is “new girl.”

She’s clumsy and uncertain, always draining her phone battery with GPS directions to the grocery store and back home again. With brave intentions and shy tendencies, she’s perfected the art of introducing herself, yet allows her next-door neighbor to call her the wrong name yet again. She doesn’t know when trash pickup is or where to find the office break room. And her best friend, states away, knows she’s always on call for both late night and early morning pep talks.

I’ve been the new girl enough times to know what makes her feel welcome. Paul has a pretty good idea, too. After all, he could have easily ended the book of Romans with chapter 15, one of the biggest mic-drop opportunities of all time. Instead, he reintroduces us to the gift God gave us in each other.

After “amen,” Paul continues on with a crucial reminder: we are not alone. He introduces us to his friends by name, explaining their significance and telling us why we’ll love them.

Phoebe, whom Paul reminds us is already our sister, is on her way to Rome (and may be the one carrying his letter!). He encourages us to befriend her and take care of her during her stay. Priscilla and Aquila, more dear friends, put themselves on the line for our buddy Paul. So, of course, we’re honored to greet them and their church. The list goes on and on, and as it grows, Paul continues to build up God’s people with encouragement, delivering each name as a lifeline to the full body.

In this intimate portrait of Paul and his fellow believers, we see a lasting truth: The body of Christ is a built-in reminder that redemption is an extraordinary reality for everyday people.

It’s easy to misread the Bible as “The Book of People Who Had It All Together,” when really, there’s only one Hero in this story. The simple truth is that we all need Jesus, and we all need each other.

In Romans, Paul emphasizes that God’s plan is good news. But his writing isn’t just for well-versed theologians—it’s for ordinary, faithful people living in small, unseen obedience. It’s for us. If you are in Christ, your name is written there among the greatness and glory of God’s plan.

Here in our temporary home, we never stop being the new girl who needs to relearn grace and remember truth. But praise the Lord—we don’t have to do it alone.

Greetings, friends. And peace be to all of you who are in Christ Jesus (1 Peter 5:14).

SRT-ROMANS-instagram39

48 thoughts on "Greet One Another"

1. Rebekah Davis says:

“Here in our temporary home, we never stop being the new girl who needs to relearn grace and remember truth. But praise the Lord- we don’t have to do it alone.” Needed this today. The Lord has been teaching me this truth the last few days. Grace and truth are for me every single day, not just for when I became a Christian but every moment since. I struggle with that sometimes, that I can constantly be made new. And I’m so so thankful for the last part… that I’m not alone in learning this truth! I can find help from my small group and pray from my leader and encouragement in just the fight to make it through another day. God is so very faithful.

2. April says:

So easy to skim through parts of the Bible with lists like this. But today Paul’s greetings almost brought me to tears. What love for his friends! His encouragements are a great example.

3. Kari says:

Another chapter I tend to skip over that you brought a totally new meaning to Kaitlin! Thank you to the entire SRT team for a great series!!

4. stacy says:

Great reminder to encourage one another today!

5. Connie says:

If you all don’t mind, can I ask this SRT community to lift up my husband in prayer? Please pray that the Lord will provide my husband with a job, he’s been looking for more than a year now. Life hasn’t been easy with just me supporting a family of 5. I thank God for this SRT community where we can feel safe to share and pray and support each other.

1. Kat says:

Praying

2. KatieCar says:

Praying for an amazing job, friend!! Keep on working hard and don’t be discouraged in the meantime!!

3. Kaitlin Wernet says:

Praying for you and your husband, Connie. Thanks for inviting us into this. xo

4. Mari says:

Connie, I know EXACTLY what you’re going through! It’s been over three years since my husbands had a full-time job. He currently has a small part time job. And yes it can be discouraging. And of course all the stress that goes with that. However, I’ve witnessed God’s faithfulness to our family. The Lord has provided in the most amazing ways. God will take care of you and your family as HE has taken care of mine. Do you mind if we pray for one another that our husbands will find full-time jobs?

5. churchmouse says:

Praying for a job that will abundantly meet your financial needs and be satisfying to your husband. And soon! Let’s pray big because God is!

6. Beth says:

Connie, I’m praying that God will bring your husband the right job for him and your family. Also that God would draw you and your husband near to him as you go through this time together.

7. Nikki says:

I’m praying right now, Connie.

8. Kaitlyn Absher says:

I’m praying for y’all! How are you now?

6. Anne says:

Grace in abundance to this community!

7. Tochi Heredia says:

Full of thanks for this community today!
    I mention your faithfulness and your encouragement to everyone around here.
    Love and peace be with you all. Heartfelt greetings from Cordoba, Argentina!

8. Carol Gunckel says:

Greetings to each of you my SRT sisters in Christ! May we always know, we are never alone, Christ is always with us. Blessings dear sisters!